What's new

Axe11000 wireless gaming concerns

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Woymfsu03

Occasional Visitor
So I have the asus axe11000 wireless router and for the most part has been great. However for some reason on my ps5 and Xbox series x I’m only able to get around 100xbus download and upload speeds using speed test.net with the same servers every time. However on my iPad mini which ax I get around 470mbps down and my pixel 4a I get around 380mbps down. My connection is 500 down and 100 up. I tested with the router device and it’s usually above both those numbers. Is this just an Xbox and PlayStation wireless issue with the devices or could be throttling somehow. Devices are basically the same distance apart from the router. Thanks in advance for any help and/or suggestions.

Just adding I’ve used both the official firmware and I’m currently on the Merlin firmware and it’s the same thing with both versions.

Hi, I suggest you may try below setting. Hope it will solve your problem.

-Use wifi password WPA2-PSK. Do not use mixed WPA3/WPA2
-Disable Target Wake Time
-Disable Airtime Fairness
-Disable Universal Beamforming
-Disable OFDMA/802.11ax MU-MIMO
-Disable Multi-User MIMO
-Enable 802.11ax/ac Beamforming/ Explicit Beamforming. If still has issue, disable this one too.

Interesting results. I did the suggestions as followed. While leaving enable 802.11ax/ac beamforming enabled. Just shot up to around 360mbps. I thought great. Next day down to below 250. So I disabled everything as suggested and ps5 went back up to around 380mbps on the same server and site I’ve been using. Xbox results are 240mbps and as low as 180. Which has always been the case when I’ve gotten results from previous testing and changes as well so maybe the series x Wi-Fi isn’t as good. I know it’s only an ac and the ps5 is an ax device. I’ll do further tests over the weekend and see if there are any more changes. Hopefully this will be the norm going forward.
Am curious why disabling what I thought are better performance options seems to help speed though if anyone has an answer or knowledge to enlighten me. Thanks for your help as well KingBravery.

Interesting results. I did the suggestions as followed. While leaving enable 802.11ax/ac beamforming enabled. Just shot up to around 360mbps. I thought great. Next day down to below 250. So I disabled everything as suggested and ps5 went back up to around 380mbps on the same server and site I’ve been using. Xbox results are 240mbps and as low as 180. Which has always been the case when I’ve gotten results from previous testing and changes as well so maybe the series x Wi-Fi isn’t as good. I know it’s only an ac and the ps5 is an ax device. I’ll do further tests over the weekend and see if there are any more changes. Hopefully this will be the norm going forward.
Am curious why disabling what I thought are better performance options seems to help speed though if anyone has an answer or knowledge to enlighten me. Thanks for your help as well KingBravery.
I'm glad that you get good results.. hope this suggestion can help someone out there too.. Maybe it slows a bit sometimes When enabling 802.11ax/ac beamforming, because other device at other room is requesting data.

You may play a bit with channel number to get good result. First you must scan using any wireless scanner apps. After identify neighbour channel, you change to other channel that has not been used yet..

Last edited:
Am curious why disabling what I thought are better performance options seems to help speed though if anyone has an answer or knowledge to enlighten me.

- WPA2/WPA3 - may not be compatible with all clients, WPA3 requires Protected Management Frames
- Protected Management Frames - may not be supported by all clients, may cause connection issues
- Target Wake Time - no effect on mobile clients battery life observed so far, AX clients only
- Universal Beamforming - non-standard attempt with no response from the client
- Airtime Fairness - makes slower devices even slower, may cause connection issues
- MU-MIMO - client support needed, drops the streams to single client, limited number of clients
- OFDMA - not expected to improve anything in home environment with limited number of clients
- Explicit Beamforming - client support needed, conditions to work needed, minor throughput gains

I'm glad that you get good results.. hope this suggestion can help someone out there too.. Maybe it slows a bit sometimes When enabling 802.11ax/ac beamforming, because other device at other room is requesting data.

You may play a bit with channel number to get good result. First you must scan using any wireless scanner apps. After identify neighbour channel, you change to other channel that has not been used yet..
I played some gran turismo 7 tonight and online worked great no issues. Never had any before either. So I decided to check speeds afterwards and they were below 100mbps. So I disabled the ax option on the 5ghz band and after the Wi-Fi came back up, average about 260-270. Reenabled ax and now speeds are averaging 320. Just curious when I do make changes should I also restart the router itself or is just it restarting the Wi-Fi on its own all that needs to be done. It seems that whenever the Wi-Fi resets not the router speeds jump back with a simple change to a setting and changing the setting back it performs like before. Could be a issue with the router itself maybe? I had a support ticket in for random reboots but since I’ve installed the Merlin firmware I haven’t had a single reboot since. Granted it’s only been about a week and a half of me using it and reboots just started to randomly occur recently.

Channel selection isn’t an issue thankfully as I live in a rural area. There’s only 2 5ghz bands and I’m one of them. I selected the low channel and the neighbor has the high channel usually so we don’t ever overlap.

- WPA2/WPA3 - may not be compatible with all clients, WPA3 requires Protected Management Frames
- Protected Management Frames - may not be supported by all clients, may cause connection issues
- Target Wake Time - no effect on mobile clients battery life observed so far, AX clients only
- Universal Beamforming - non-standard attempt with no response from the client
- Airtime Fairness - makes slower devices even slower, may cause connection issues
- MU-MIMO - client support needed, drops the streams to single client, limited number of clients
- OFDMA - not expected to improve anything in home environment with limited number of clients
- Explicit Beamforming - client support needed, conditions to work needed, minor throughput gains
Thank you for that information. I’ve googled what that are all supposed to do but everywhere I’ve read including yourself has basically said they don’t really help and if they do it’s barely noticeable.

I played some gran turismo 7 tonight and online worked great no issues. Never had any before either. So I decided to check speeds afterwards and they were below 100mbps. So I disabled the ax option on the 5ghz band and after the Wi-Fi came back up, average about 260-270. Reenabled ax and now speeds are averaging 320. Just curious when I do make changes should I also restart the router itself or is just it restarting the Wi-Fi on its own all that needs to be done. It seems that whenever the Wi-Fi resets not the router speeds jump back with a simple change to a setting and changing the setting back it performs like before. Could be a issue with the router itself maybe? I had a support ticket in for random reboots but since I’ve installed the Merlin firmware I haven’t had a single reboot since. Granted it’s only been about a week and a half of me using it and reboots just started to randomly occur recently.

Channel selection isn’t an issue thankfully as I live in a rural area. There’s only 2 5ghz bands and I’m one of them. I selected the low channel and the neighbor has the high channel usually so we don’t ever overlap.
Update today. Had some updates for the Xbox to download and they averaged what seem to be 200mbps from the dashboard of the Xbox. Which was pretty much the norm I’ve gotten from there. Ps5 had an update as well but it averaged below 75mbps on the asus app. Went and did a speed test and it barely averaged 100mbps over about 4 different tests all to the same server. Ipad still getting above 400mbps. I’m just going to install the default asus firmware tonight and reset all settings to default and see what happens. This is very frustrating lol.

Update today. Had some updates for the Xbox to download and they averaged what seem to be 200mbps from the dashboard of the Xbox. Which was pretty much the norm I’ve gotten from there. Ps5 had an update as well but it averaged below 75mbps on the asus app. Went and did a speed test and it barely averaged 100mbps over about 4 different tests all to the same server. Ipad still getting above 400mbps. I’m just going to install the default asus firmware tonight and reset all settings to default and see what happens. This is very frustrating lol.
What is the distance between router and your consoles?

Last edited:
What is the distance between router and your consoles?
Maybe 15 yards if that. Direct line of site. No walls between them.

New results. So I reset the firmware to the official asus version and also wiped all the settings clean with the factory reset with the wps button method. Xbox help steady at 200 to 250. Ps5 barely reached 100. So I deleted the connection for the ps5 restarted and followed the instructions from post 2 by disabling everything mentioned except explicit I beamforming and bam high 300s and a chart topping 415mbps on the last test. Went to sleep happy. Woke up and now the ps5 is getting 250 every time. Did the network reset to see if that was it but same results. Could be middle of the day tests as opposed to 1am tests but I didn’t think fiber optic internet had the same limitations as cable. I’m going to leave the setting the way they are and do more tests tonight to see what happens if I get the same high results I guess it’s just a isp bandwidth issue during the day. Which is fine I can live with that. 250 is still better than less than 90 but still should be closer to the 500 I’m up to be getting. Thanks everyone for the help that’s posted.

Edited typos….also the isp bandwidth issues doesn’t make sense because the iPad and phone both get close to 500 and the fire stick almost 400.

Last edited:
Tests this afternoon. Xbox stayed at around 250. Ps5 was still 250 as well. Restarted the router no changes made. Speeds jumped to just under 400mbps. Played a little. Turned off the ps5 still no changes to router. Now 10pm tonight no changes to router or reboots speeds are now 280mbps. iPad is over 500 now actually. Literally put my iPad on the ps5 for 1 minute and did a test and got the best speed ever with it at 520mbps. There’s just no way it can be an issue with distance or obstructions. Either the settings aren’t being saved and are changing without showing and when you restart they kick in and for some unknown reason change back over time or idk honestly. I’m not even going to speculate at this point because I honestly have no clue. I do know the ps5 is capable of getting 400 at least in the setup I have now but for some reason it is not and it should be. The Xbox has never gone over 260 before so I honestly think it’s the chipset that keeps it from achieving anything higher.

Tests this afternoon. Xbox stayed at around 250. Ps5 was still 250 as well. Restarted the router no changes made. Speeds jumped to just under 400mbps. Played a little. Turned off the ps5 still no changes to router. Now 10pm tonight no changes to router or reboots speeds are now 280mbps. iPad is over 500 now actually. Literally put my iPad on the ps5 for 1 minute and did a test and got the best speed ever with it at 520mbps. There’s just no way it can be an issue with distance or obstructions. Either the settings aren’t being saved and are changing without showing and when you restart they kick in and for some unknown reason change back over time or idk honestly. I’m not even going to speculate at this point because I honestly have no clue. I do know the ps5 is capable of getting 400 at least in the setup I have now but for some reason it is not and it should be. The Xbox has never gone over 260 before so I honestly think it’s the chipset that keeps it from achieving anything higher.
Hope you can enjoy wifi happily forever

Hope you can enjoy wifi happily forever
At this rate I don’t think that’s ever going to happen lol.

I installed Merlin firmware back becuse things seemed like they were never going to stay improved and I enjoyed the layout of some of its functions better. We did have power go off for a split second and the router rebooted today. Didn’t get a chance to do anything until now. Speeds for the ps5 are now down below 100 again. Deleted connection info on ps5 and same results. Changed channels once no change changed to the channel number my neighbor is currently using and rebooted the router as well and speeds went to around 290mbps. Turned it off and went to Xbox for an hour where e box did the normal thing of 250. Came back to the ps5 and speeds are now about the same as before at 270. I’m completely lost as to what to even attempt to try next as nothing seems to have steady results.

Last edited:
At this rate I don’t think that’s ever going to happen lol.

I installed Merlin firmware back becuse things seemed like they were never going to stay improved and I enjoyed the layout of some of its functions better. We did have power go off for a split second and the router rebooted today. Didn’t get a chance to do anything until now. Speeds for the ps5 are now down below 100 again. Deleted connection info on ps5 and same results. Changed channels once no change changed to the channel number my neighbor is currently using and rebooted the router as well and speeds went to around 290mbps. Turned it off and went to Xbox for an hour where e box did the normal thing of 250. Came back to the ps5 and speeds are now about the same as before at 270. I’m completely lost as to what to even attempt to try next as nothing seems to have steady results.
I think you must test using ethernet cable too for ps5 and xbox as their server is not same as speedtest in ipad.. maybe their server is congested at certain time.. unless you know how to test connectivity in LAN network only..

XBOX and PS5 connect to which band, 5GHz or 6GHz?

Last edited:
I’m using speedtest.net on both the Xbox and ps5. Not the built in tests on the Xbox or ps5. They both connect using 5ghz. Neither have a 6e Wi-Fi. Ps5 is Wi-Fi 6 and Xbox is Wi-Fi 5. Ethernet connection isn’t possible as I would need to run a very long cord around the living room. The router itself gets over 500 download when I use the built in speed tests on the asus router. There’s something going on because the ps5 is capable of getting those speeds as I’ve seen them. I just don’t know what’s causing it to not stay that way and a reboot or deleting the connection resolves the issue u til the next day or so. The Xbox I have no clue why it only get 260 max. But it’s always gotten that speed since I’ve had it and this router.

I think the issues are from PS5 itself.. There are many people complaining about this too..

PS5 1GIG Internet Speed Test - YouTube

PS5 Slow Wifi Speeds : PS5 (reddit.com)

Some of user follow this steps.. The rest you need to research by yourself..

-Alright so this worked for me for some reason: 1- test connection 2- disconnect from the wifi 3- forget the wifi you were connected to (the option is called delete) 4- restart ps5 5- start up and reconnect to your wifi

-I recommend not just restarting, but fully powering off your PS5.

-wow this worked! I followed your exact steps for it to work. I'm back at 159mbps download from 19mbps earlier when I was having wack connection. I tried different things but once I followed your exact steps it worked. Also note, don't just Restart your ps5, you need to power it off fully for several seconds then turn it on. Thank you!

I think the issues are from PS5 itself.. There are many people complaining about this too..

PS5 1GIG Internet Speed Test - YouTube

PS5 Slow Wifi Speeds : PS5 (reddit.com)

Some of user follow this steps.. The rest you need to research by yourself..

-Alright so this worked for me for some reason: 1- test connection 2- disconnect from the wifi 3- forget the wifi you were connected to (the option is called delete) 4- restart ps5 5- start up and reconnect to your wifi

-I recommend not just restarting, but fully powering off your PS5.

-wow this worked! I followed your exact steps for it to work. I'm back at 159mbps download from 19mbps earlier when I was having wack connection. I tried different things but once I followed your exact steps it worked. Also note, don't just Restart your ps5, you need to power it off fully for several seconds then turn it on. Thank you!
I’ve actually tried those steps all before in this thread. It worked and I did get low 400s and upper 300s until the next morning. Speeds have basically stayed in the 280s over the week and weekend for the ps5 and Xbox is a constant 250. But I k ow the ps5 can get 400 as it’s happened before and nothing has changed. It has ax Wi-Fi inside it should easily get them. The Xbox on the other hand I’m not sure with the ac Wi-Fi and mostly everywhere I’ve read all say the most they’ve gotten was 280. It could be a ps5 problem and an Xbox problem but why did I get those great results before and can’t duplicate them no matter what i try? Hopefully this post will help someone as well get speeds at least better than before with the above steps. But they were barely an improvement when it was reset to defaults.

So after going through 4 different routers, 3 AXE11000 and a cheap AC86u, I've finally (I think) found the solution. WIFI 6 sucks on the PS5 lol. I sent in my 2nd AXE11000 to Asus with a few issues not just this one, and while I waited for the repair or replacement to come in, I decided to just go purchase a fairly cheap (but very good) Asus AC86u router. Hooked it up and the speeds for xbox didn't improve, stayed the same, so I'm assuming that's the max limit for wifi for the Series X, the ps5 actually improved with all default settings to over 400mbps. So with that I assumed the router I had was just broken and it would all be back to normal with the new one. Queue 2 weeks later the new one arrives, spent the night setting everything up, turn the ps5 on and check speeds....80mbps.... Change a few settings and channel and can get almost 300mbps with only the upper channels even though the bottom channels are completely free. After doing even more testing and changing the settings I found a post about wifi 6 just not working well with the ps5. So I go in and disable ax on the 5ghz band, restart, and bam...420mbps downloads. Even tested on a game to make sure. Averaged over 400 the entire time. So if anyone sees this post and has concerns as to why they aren't getting very good speeds using the ps5 and an ax router. Just disable ax and your speeds will improve drastically. I did take a slight hit on the MacBook Pro but I can live with 25-50mbps worse on it while getting over 100mbps greater on the ps5.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!