What's new

Backup Broken on latest DSM3.1

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ubiquityman

New Around Here
FYI, if you are using DSM3.1 and are using encrypted folders, the local and network backup features are both broken in DSM3.1.

Encrypted folders that are more than a few levels deep will fail on backup. This appears to be due to how Synology backs up encrypted files and folders. I've tried every method that I can think of using an external drive and also another Synology NAS as the destination backup device. There is no workaround to this problem except for manually managing encryption and copying the file by hand through a client PC to another device. Synology has confirmed this problem.

So, if encryption is important to you and backing up is important, you might want to wait until this bug is fixed before you purchase.

(Having a backup is highly recommended as users have reported corruption on the latest DSM.)

http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=160&t=34599

The thread was pretty long... Does this only affect backups with an encrypted volume? I checked my logs and could not find similar errors, but it would suck if my backups where corrupted (especially since I recently used rsync to restore a share from backups).

For failures it seemed the recommended action is to empty the backup disk and do a full new backup?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!