What's new

BACKUPMON BACKUPMON v1.5.10 -Mar 1, 2024- Backup/Restore your Router: JFFS + NVRAM + External USB Drive! (**Thread closed due to age**)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Looks good!
W00t! :p Yeah, since your config already contained a null variable, it kept overwriting what I was forcing it to accept, and so I had do a crafty double-reversal variable assignment to override whatever you had just for this particular situation... ;)

Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/BACKUPMON/master/backupmon-1.20b2.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/backupmon.sh" && chmod 755 "/jffs/scripts/backupmon.sh"

Try downloading it again, going into "backupmon -setup", go into the config... save & exit... you should see that unknown operand error disappear.
Fixed. Thank you.

Added a new feature under v1.20b3... a Backup Target Network Connection Tester... in a situation where you might be setting up a new device, it's easier to just try your username/password, UNC path, local drive mount path and target network folders from this utility than beating your head against a wall trying to run a backup with these settings. When the connection tester reports success, you can copy those settings over to your primary network backup config.

What's new?
- MAJOR
: Added a Backup Target Network Connection Tester... in a situation where you might be setting up a new device, or just trying to troubleshoot, it's easier to just try your username/password, UNC path, local drive mount path and target network folders from this utility than beating your head against a wall trying to run a backup with these settings. You receive on-screen feedback when things are going right or wrong. When you have achieved success, test backup folders will be created under your network target, and a testfile will have been written to ensure you have proper read/write permissions. When the connection tester reports success, you can copy those settings over to your primary network backup config. This item is found under the Setup + Operations Menu, item "TS" allows you to run this utility.

Download link (update directly from this URL):
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/BACKUPMON/master/backupmon-1.20b3.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/backupmon.sh" && chmod 755 "/jffs/scripts/backupmon.sh"

Significant Screenshots:

New menu item under the Setup & Configuration -- option "TS" allows you to test your Network Backup Target connection
1695684431068.png

Default values are in place, allowing you to change things up to test and troubleshoot a new network device or connection before putting these settings into production.
1695684397119.png

Last edited:
Am I the first to actually use this script for it's intended purpose?
Briefly, while messing with wifi settings last night I totally screwed them up to the point nothing was being transmitted and the MACs had set themselves to 00:00:00:00:00:00. No amount of fiddling or reboots would bring them back up.
After a factory reset and half an hour for M&M and restore I'm back up and smiling again.
This script just saved me hours ;)

Am I the first to actually use this script for it's intended purpose?
Briefly, while messing with wifi settings last night I totally screwed them up to the point nothing was being transmitted and the MACs had set themselves to 00:00:00:00:00:00. No amount of fiddling or reboots would bring them back up.
After a factory reset and half an hour for M&M and restore I'm back up and smiling again.
This script just saved me hours ;)
WOW! I do believe you are the first! I have only tested a reformat/reconfigure from scratch on my old AC86U with random settings, and then performing a restore on top of that... and it came back 100% to the way it was before. But yours is a fantastic story about overcoming disaster in a real-world scenario where your router got hosed, and getting it back in working condition in minimal time! Kudos to you @Ripshod!

If you have any feedback on the restoration process, please let me know if you came across any areas that needed improvement on messaging or functionality, OK?

WOW! I do believe you are the first! I have only tested a reformat/reconfigure from scratch on my old AC86U with random settings, and then performing a restore on top of that... and it came back 100% to the way it was before. But yours is a fantastic story about overcoming disaster in a real-world scenario where your router got hosed, and getting it back in working condition in minimal time! Kudos to you @Ripshod!

If you have any feedback on the restoration process, please let me know if you came across any areas that needed improvement on messaging or functionality, OK?
I really can't suggest anything - it just works.

Hey @visortgw & @Ripshod... thanks very much for testing the latest BACKUPMON beta! I've been running it for a few days now uninterrupted without issue... uninstalled everything, reinstalled from scratch. Tried to break it... Everything seems good. 👍 It even seemed to perform well on @Ripshod's actual real-world restore... Wanted to run it by you two, and see if you had anything else that stood out before I let it go live? Thanks again!

Hey @visortgw & @Ripshod... thanks very much for testing the latest BACKUPMON beta! I've been running it for a few days now uninterrupted without issue... uninstalled everything, reinstalled from scratch. Tried to break it... Everything seems good. 👍 It even seemed to perform well on @Ripshod's actual real-world restore... Wanted to run it by you two, and see if you had anything else that stood out before I let it go live? Thanks again!
I have tried everything but the connection test and @Ripshod style restore. Working great!

Functionally, other than not being able to test secondary backup options right now it's definitely coming of age now.
I see no reason to change anything.
After my experience I just want to say that everyone should have this tool. Developers, beta testers, and normal users should have something for those moments when the $h.. hits the fan.
Brilliant!

I have tried everything but the connection test and @Ripshod style restore. Working great!
Awesome. It's one of those things you hope you never have to use, but when you do, it's nice to know it gets you back to a stable environment. ;)

1695843487663.png
:p
Functionally, other than not being able to test secondary backup options right now it's definitely coming of age now.
Yeah, to test this, I basically created a secondary backup share on my server... I now have 3 backups running (2 off my AX6000 going to a primary and secondary share), and my AC86U going to my primary share). I might look at seeing what it would take to push this to google drive/onedrive in the future.

I see no reason to change anything.
After my experience I just want to say that everyone should have this tool. Developers, beta testers, and normal users should have something for those moments when the $h.. hits the fan.
Brilliant!
Love it! :) I was personally surprised with how quick the restore actually took when I reformatted my AC86U + flashdrive from scratch... it was restored in literally under a minute + a reboot, and back in business with all my old settings. I totally agree with you. I sleep a lot better now knowing there's a way to get my router back to a certain point in time.

To be honest most of the half hour the restore took was letting things settle. I could probably have gone through the whole thing in half the time but maybe that rush could have introduced other problems.
We can all rest a little better now.

Edit: Also tested the secondary backup with a temporary share without any problems.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help in getting this across the finish line, @Ripshod and @visortgw! :)

***NOTE*** After updating, please make sure you go into the config, and save your settings before continuing use!

What's new??
v1.20 - (September 27, 2023)
- MAJOR:
Added the capability of running backups to a secondary backup target! Many thanks to @visortgw for the suggestion! Item #10 in the configuration utility allows you to configure all necessary information to set up a secondary backup target. You can choose a completely different kind of backup frequency compared to your primary backup method, and will also be able to be purged/autopurged should you allow it. Also, if secondary backups are enabled, when you run the restoration procedure, it will prompt you whether you want to restore from your primary or secondary backup source. When you install this version, **please** make sure you save a new configuration from the configuration utility as many new variables have been added to keep track of this functionality.
- MAJOR: Added a Backup Target Network Connection Tester... in a situation where you might be setting up a new device, or just trying to troubleshoot, it's easier to just try your username/password, UNC path, local drive mount path and target network folders from this utility than beating your head against trying to run a backup with these settings. You receive on-screen feedback when things are going right or wrong. When you have achieved success, test backup folders will be created under your network target, and a testfile will have been written to ensure you have proper read/write permissions. When the connection tester reports success, you can copy those settings over to your primary network backup config. This item is found under the Setup + Operations Menu, item "TS" allows you to run this utility.
- MINOR: Added a notification in the configuration utility to remind you to save when new activity has been noticed.
- MINOR: General improvements to visual consistency and messaging.

Download link (or update directly within BACKUPMON)
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/BACKUPMON/master/backupmon-1.20.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/backupmon.sh" && chmod 755 "/jffs/scripts/backupmon.sh"

Significant Screenshots:

Item #10 on the config menu sends you to the secondary backup config! Mimics many of the same settings needed for your primary backup, but are able to choose a completely different backup frequency!
1695849905470.png

The backup target network connection tester lets you play with your settings until you get it right without having to tool around with the main script... this is a playground to get your settings correct, so you can use them for your primary backup.
1695849985255.png

Can I assume no change in config file for beta testers?

Bringing you another update to address a situation (thanks to @maghuro!) where a router may not have an external USB drive to backup! In this scenario, backupmon would experience some issues, and has now been fixed to detect whether an external USB is present. So an EXT drive is now completely optional, and will only backup/restore JFFS and NVRAM if the drive is not present.

What's new?
v1.22 - (October 2, 2023)
- FIXED:
Thanks to @maghuro, in a situation where an EXT USB drive would not be connected to the router, it would experience some issues backing itself up, throwing some errors and whatnot because this situation was never considered. Logic was added to factor in a missing EXT USB drive, and will now backup and restore only the JFFS and NVRAM components.
- MINOR: Added a missing logger statement to indicate that the NVRAM was backed up (primary & secondary) that was being left out of the syslogs after a backup.

Download link (or update directly within BACKUPMON):
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/BACKUPMON/master/backupmon-1.22.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/backupmon.sh" && chmod 755 "/jffs/scripts/backupmon.sh"

Bringing you another update to address a situation (thanks to @maghuro!) where a router may not have an external USB drive to backup! In this scenario, backupmon would experience some issues, and has now been fixed to detect whether an external USB is present. So an EXT drive is now completely optional, and will only backup/restore JFFS and NVRAM if the drive is not present.

What's new?
v1.22 - (October 2, 2023)
- FIXED:
Thanks to @maghuro, in a situation where an EXT USB drive would not be connected to the router, it would experience some issues backing itself up, throwing some errors and whatnot because this situation was never considered. Logic was added to factor in a missing EXT USB drive, and will now backup and restore only the JFFS and NVRAM components.
- MINOR: Added a missing logger statement to indicate that the NVRAM was backed up (primary & secondary) that was being left out of the syslogs after a backup.

Download link (or update directly within BACKUPMON):
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/BACKUPMON/master/backupmon-1.22.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/backupmon.sh" && chmod 755 "/jffs/scripts/backupmon.sh"
Did you change something after the beta I tested?

Because now, after starting a backup, this screen hangs up here and even ctrl+c don't do nothing. Have to restart shell

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-10-02-16-47-19-121_com.server.auditor.ssh.client.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-10-02-16-47-19-121_com.server.auditor.ssh.client.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 19

Because now, after starting a backup, this screen hangs up here and even ctrl+c don't do nothing. Have to restart shell
Just changed the version number... Sorry, @maghuro .... it's working perfectly on my end (see below). Looks like it's hanging on your end making a connection to your external network drive?

1696262333969.png

Question -- was this screenshot of you running it off your RT-AC86U (I have a hard time telling with that color scheme)? Was it working on your GT-AX6000?

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!