What's new

BACKUPMON BACKUPMON v1.5.10 -Mar 1, 2024- Backup/Restore your Router: JFFS + NVRAM + External USB Drive! (**Thread closed due to age**)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

These are my 2 partitions below & the drive-mount point it's automatically choosing sda1 when selecting USB...

Code:
@GT-AX11000-XXXX:/tmp/home/root# blkid
/dev/sda2: LABEL="SamsungSSD" UUID="1208C4EC3A509DCF"
/dev/sda1: LABEL="Diversion" UUID="560672ad-c776-4ef4-905c-2823bc292c46"
Code:
Selection: 1

1. Please choose the SOURCE Mount Point of your attached external USB Drive that
contains data that you want to have backed up. In most cases, whatever is
attached to your sda1 partition should be selected. Should there be only one
mount point available, it will be automatically selected.
(Recommended drive on sda1 = /tmp/mnt/Diversion)

Mount Point Selected:
/tmp/mnt/Diversion

Press any key to acknowledge...
That's odd if the USB-attached SSD has 2 valid partitions properly mounted. When the problem occurs, please copy & paste the following set of commands on your SSH terminal window and post the resulting file (USB_MountPoints_DEBUG.txt):
Bash:
{
   printf "$(nvram get productid): "
   printf "$(nvram get firmver).$(nvram get buildno).$(nvram get extendno)\n"
   printf "\nBLKID\n-----\n"
   blkid
   printf "\nMOUNT /dev/sd.*\n---------------\n"
   mount | grep "/dev/sd.*"
   printf "\nMOUNT /tmp/mnt/.*\n-----------------\n"
   mount | grep "/tmp/mnt/.*"
} > $HOME/USB_MountPoints_DEBUG.txt

That's odd if the USB-attached SSD has 2 valid partitions properly mounted. When the problem occurs, please copy & paste the following set of commands on your SSH terminal window and post the resulting file (USB_MountPoints_DEBUG.txt):
Bash:
{
   blkid
   mount | grep "/dev/sd.*"
I'm not sure if I'm missing anything but this is what I got. Please see output:

Code:
GT-AX11000: 3.0.0.4.388.4.0

BLKID
-----

MOUNT /dev/sd.*
---------------
/dev/sda1 on /tmp/mnt/Diversion type ext4 (rw,nodev,relatime,data=ordered)

MOUNT /tmp/mnt/.*
-----------------

Last edited:
I'm not sure if I'm missing anything but this is what I got. Please see output:

Code:

BLKID
-----

MOUNT /dev/sd.*
---------------

MOUNT /tmp/mnt/.*
-----------------
So where the heck is sda2!? I'm wondering if this was formatted and partitioned in a way that's not compatible with the router?

Last edited:
So where the heck is sda2!? I'm wondering if this was formatted and partitioned in a way that's not compatible with the router?
I'm not sure but thats a possibility...I did use AMTM to create 2 partitions. One partition (labeled "Diversion") holds all scripts/swap and the NTFS partition (labeled SamsungSSD) is currently empty/blank.

I did see this under the fdl log when I created both partitions:

Code:
Setting Partition 1 device label "Diversion"

tune2fs 1.45.6 (20-Mar-2020)

Formatting Partition 2 as "NTFS"
  Setting Partition 2 device label "SamsungSSD"
 Cluster size has been automatically set to 4096 bytes.
 Creating NTFS volume structures.
 mkntfs completed successfully. Have a nice day.

Setting Partition 2 type "NTFS"

The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 60801.
 There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,
 and could in certain setups cause problems with:
 1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., old versions of LILO)
 2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
    (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)

Command (m for help): Partition number (1-4): Hex code (type L to list codes): Changed system type of partition 2 to 7 (HPFS/NTFS)

Command (m for help): The partition table has been altered.
 Calling ioctl() to re-read partition table

END FILE

I'm not sure but thats a possibility...I did use AMTM to create 2 partitions. One partition (labeled "Diversion") holds all scripts/swap and the NTFS partition (labeled SamsungSSD) is currently empty/blank.

I did see this under thee fdl log when I created both partitions:

Code:
Setting Partition 1 device label "Diversion"

tune2fs 1.45.6 (20-Mar-2020)

Formatting Partition 2 as "NTFS"
  Setting Partition 2 device label "SamsungSSD"
 Cluster size has been automatically set to 4096 bytes.
 Creating NTFS volume structures.
 mkntfs completed successfully. Have a nice day.

Setting Partition 2 type "NTFS"

The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 60801.
 There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,
 and could in certain setups cause problems with:
 1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., old versions of LILO)
 2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
    (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)

Command (m for help): Partition number (1-4): Hex code (type L to list codes): Changed system type of partition 2 to 7 (HPFS/NTFS)

Command (m for help): The partition table has been altered.
 Calling ioctl() to re-read partition table

END FILE
How are you currently able to access this other NTFS partition?

I'm able to access it thru

I'm able to access it thru WinSCP.
Could you share a screenshot showing what kind of connection information you use to access that?

So I was able to unmount & remount SSD, and it was able to see both partitions this time:

Code:

BLKID
-----

MOUNT /dev/sd.*
---------------
/dev/sda2 on /tmp/mnt/SamsungSSD(1) type tntfs (rw,nodev,relatime,uid=0,gid=0,umask=00,allow_utime=0022,utf8,min_prealloc_size=64k,max_prealloc_size=244179964,readahead=1M,user_xattr,case_sensitive,fail_safe,hidden=show,dotfile=show,protected_system=show,errors=continue,mft_zone_multiplier=1)

MOUNT /tmp/mnt/.*
-----------------
/dev/sda2 on /tmp/mnt/SamsungSSD(1) type tntfs (rw,nodev,relatime,uid=0,gid=0,umask=00,allow_utime=0022,utf8,min_prealloc_size=64k,max_prealloc_size=244179964,readahead=1M,user_xattr,case_sensitive,fail_safe,hidden=show,dotfile=show,protected_system=show,errors=continue,mft_zone_multiplier=1)

So I was able to unmount & remount SSD, and it was able to see both partitions this time:

Code:

BLKID
-----

MOUNT /dev/sd.*
---------------

MOUNT /tmp/mnt/.*
-----------------
Now we're talking! So now the mount point selector should allow you to pick from one or the other. You should have this in the bag now! 😋

Bash:
{
   blkid
   mount | grep "/dev/sd.*"
Thanks for that helpful troubleshooting script, @Martinski!

Thank you everyone for the assistance. All is working now:

Code:
Selection: bk
BACKUPMON v1.38

[Primary Backup Commencing]...         

STATUS: External drive (USB) mounted successfully as: /tmp/mnt/SamsungSSD
STATUS: Finished backing up JFFS to /tmp/mnt/SamsungSSD/router/GT-AX11000-Backups/15/jffs.tar.gz.
STATUS: Finished backing up NVRAM to /tmp/mnt/SamsungSSD/router/GT-AX11000-Backups/15/nvram.cfg.
STATUS: Finished copying routerfw.txt to /tmp/mnt/SamsungSSD/router/GT-AX11000-Backups/15/routerfw.txt.
STATUS: Starting backup of EXT Drive on Wed Nov 15 10:45:56 EST 2023. Please stand by...
tar: ./router/GT-AX11000-Backups/15/SamsungSSD.tar.gz: file is the archive; skipping
STATUS: Finished backing up EXT Drive in 1 sec to /tmp/mnt/SamsungSSD/router/GT-AX11000-Backups/15/SamsungSSD.tar.gz.
STATUS: Finished copying backupmon.sh script to /tmp/mnt/SamsungSSD/router/GT-AX11000-Backups.
STATUS: Finished copying backupmon.cfg file to /tmp/mnt/SamsungSSD/router/GT-AX11000-Backups.
STATUS: Finished copying exclusions.txt file to /tmp/mnt/SamsungSSD/router/GT-AX11000-Backups.
STATUS: Finished copying reference nvram.txt extract to /tmp/mnt/SamsungSSD/router/GT-AX11000-Backups.
STATUS: Finished copying restoration instructions.txt file to /tmp/mnt/SamsungSSD/router/GT-AX11000-Backups.

Thank you everyone for the assistance. All is working now:

Code:
Selection: bk
BACKUPMON v1.38

[Primary Backup Commencing]...        

STATUS: External drive (USB) mounted successfully as: /tmp/mnt/SamsungSSD
STATUS: Finished backing up JFFS to /tmp/mnt/SamsungSSD/router/GT-AX11000-Backups/15/jffs.tar.gz.
STATUS: Finished backing up NVRAM to /tmp/mnt/SamsungSSD/router/GT-AX11000-Backups/15/nvram.cfg.
STATUS: Finished copying routerfw.txt to /tmp/mnt/SamsungSSD/router/GT-AX11000-Backups/15/routerfw.txt.
STATUS: Starting backup of EXT Drive on Wed Nov 15 10:45:56 EST 2023. Please stand by...
tar: ./router/GT-AX11000-Backups/15/SamsungSSD.tar.gz: file is the archive; skipping
STATUS: Finished backing up EXT Drive in 1 sec to /tmp/mnt/SamsungSSD/router/GT-AX11000-Backups/15/SamsungSSD.tar.gz.
STATUS: Finished copying backupmon.sh script to /tmp/mnt/SamsungSSD/router/GT-AX11000-Backups.
STATUS: Finished copying backupmon.cfg file to /tmp/mnt/SamsungSSD/router/GT-AX11000-Backups.
STATUS: Finished copying exclusions.txt file to /tmp/mnt/SamsungSSD/router/GT-AX11000-Backups.
STATUS: Finished copying reference nvram.txt extract to /tmp/mnt/SamsungSSD/router/GT-AX11000-Backups.
STATUS: Finished copying restoration instructions.txt file to /tmp/mnt/SamsungSSD/router/GT-AX11000-Backups.
Based on that tar message, you probably want to use an exclusion file to exclude your backup folder so that it doesn't back itself up each time as it will then just get exponentially larger each day.

Based on that tar message, you probably want to use an exclusion file to exclude your backup folder so that it doesn't back itself up each time as it will then just get exponentially larger each day.
Thanks...I did create an exclusion file, what would I use to exclude the backup folder (simply adding the "GT-AX11000-Backups" to it ?

My exclusion.txt currently has the default info:

Code:
myswap.swp
entware/var/log/*
skynet/skynet.log

Thanks...I did create an exclusion file, what would I use to exclude the backup folder (simply adding the "GT-AX11000-Backups" to it ?

My exclusion.txt currently has the default info:

Code:
myswap.swp
entware/var/log/*
skynet/skynet.log
Probably just add this on the bottom:

Code:
router/*

Come'on now. We can't have backups without backups of our backups. :oops:

1700191820103.png

What do you see when you stare into the tar!?! .... I see... I see.... Infinity!

Last edited:
The addon I've wanted since day one. Couldn't be any easier to setup, thanks to how well this process was implemented and documented.

Now I have one less manual retention task to manually carry out monthly.

I love you.
I really appreciate the positive feedback, @applysci! :) BTW, this was a real community effort by multiple players! Huge thanks to them as well.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!