What's new

BACKUPMON BACKUPMON v1.7.2 -Apr 1, 2024- Backup/Restore your Router: JFFS + NVRAM + External USB Drive! CIFS/SMB/NFS! (Now available in AMTM!)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi Viktor. Transferred the stuff from my 2 USB keys to the Samsung 128Gb SSD in a caddy. All seems to be working well.

However, a question - you suggested putting everything on the one partition. I've done that and now Backupmon warns me about having the backup system on the same disk (STATUS: **High Risk** -> EXT USB is backing up to EXT USB. TAR exclusion is in place.)

I understand this, hence me using a separate usb key for the backups previously. Any thoughts ? Would I be better to move the backup directory to a separate USB key in the other USB slot on my Router ?

Pete

Oh gotcha... I thought your previous flash drive had 2 partitions on it. It would be much less risky to continue backing up to a separate drive, but then you'll be back to square one, dealing with flash drive hardware again.

Oh gotcha... I thought your previous flash drive had 2 partitions on it. It would be much less risky to continue backing up to a separate drive, but then you'll be back to square one, dealing with flash drive hardware again.
Ah - I see. Apologies for the confusion.
I've set up a cron job to rsync the ssd backups to a brand new usb key daily, so hopefully getting the performance and reliability of the SSD and a belt and braces job with the new usb key.
I'll have a look at setting up a partition on one of my servers to do a network backup at some stage.
Thanks for the advice and support in fixing that problem. Much appreciated.
Pete

Ah - I see. Apologies for the confusion.
I've set up a cron job to rsync the ssd backups to a brand new usb key daily, so hopefully getting the performance and reliability of the SSD and a belt and braces job with the new usb key.
I'll have a look at setting up a partition on one of my servers to do a network backup at some stage.
Thanks for the advice and support in fixing that problem. Much appreciated.
Pete
Not a prob! Sounds like you've got a good process going with that setup. But yeah, that's exactly what I did... just created a share off my local server and backing up to that each night. It's best to keep backups far away from the device being backed up. ;)

Actually... I take it back... if the mount point already exists, backupmon will happily bypass creating a CIFS mount point. So theoretically, yes... it could work if that mount point was already in existence and created using NFS. But at the end of the backup, it will try to dismount it. So it sounds like it would need some work to get this to function correctly.;)

But thinking about this more... if your NFS mount point is already in place, choosing the "USB" option in backupmon will not mess with mount points, and will leave them alone and not unmount them in the end. So this actually could be a simple fix of just calling it "USB/NFS". Lol :p

@smarthome-enthusiast ... wanna give that a try? :)
@smarthome-enthusiast ... anxiously awaiting some feedback from you regarding your NFS backups. Any success?

So now that your signature block has a "struckthrough" utility, what is the next upcoming replacement for its slot of honor?!? 🤣
LOL. Please don't encourage... like @Tech9 said, it's a fun, yet debilitating addiction/habit... so less is better at this point!

Here's what's on the plate:
* If NFS works under USB mode, fix BACKUPMON UI to accommodate
* Bring AMTM Email event notifications to VPNMON-R3
* Spruce up KILLMON and bring more flexibility
* Integrate VPNMON-R3 with KILLMON functionality

My friend,

In the following page (screenshot attached), is it possible to sort that folder's contents by date (top oldest, bottom newest)?
It would be a good improvement 🙏🏻

Right now the order is ...disordered? 😁

Thanks.in advance!!!

Edit: also... The first columns aren't necessary. I think it is only necessary the folder name and date of backup...

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-03-13-23-40-44-535_com.server.auditor.ssh.client-edit.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-03-13-23-40-44-535_com.server.auditor.ssh.client-edit.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 20
My friend,

In the following page (screenshot attached), is it possible to sort that folder's contents by date (top oldest, bottom newest)?
It would be a good improvement 🙏🏻

Right now the order is ...disordered? 😁

Thanks.in advance!!!

Edit: also... The first columns aren't necessary. I think it is only necessary the folder name and date of backup...

Interesting find! I'll see what I can do about this. ;)

EDIT: Actually, it is in order... by foldername. Fri, Mon, Sat, Sun, Tue, Thu, Wed... Like @visortgw, I didn't see this either because I go with Monthly and Perpetual... ;)

Last edited:
Interesting find! I'll see what I can do about this. ;)
What if you were to number days of week from 1 through 7, rather than using three letters. Or a combination (e.g., 1-Sun, 2-Mon, ...). I use Monthly backups, so this doesn't affect me, but I thought that I'd throw out an idea.

Our better yet, simply the world (computer) standard YYYY-MM-DD instead, for the backup names.

Our better yet, simply the world (computer) standard YYYY-MM-DD instead, for the backup names.
That doesn't fit the current model where seven folder names remain constant as the data within them is replaced weekly.

I can't see how the folder name is dependent on the file name.

I can't see how the folder name is dependent on the file name.
Hey @L&LD... I'm using a couple of different folder-naming schemes depending on the type of backup that people configure:

Weekly: Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun (loops & overwrites)
Monthly: 01, 02, 03, 04.... 30, 31 (loops & overwrites)
Yearly: 001, 002, 003.... 363, 364, 365 (loops & overwrites)
Perpetual: YYYYMMDD-HHMMSS (unique & continues perpetually)

Yes, I know. But the point is, you don't need to. ;)

Yes, I know. But the point is, you don't need to. ;)
I'm sure there's lots of ways to do it. It's just my way of keeping things logically contained within their own little backup sets. And, makes it easier for me to programmatically find the necessary files to perform a restore. ;)

As a user, I'd rather have one thing to learn (YYYYMMDD), rather than try to remember if SMTWTFS, or 1, 2, 3, ... 31, or 001, 002, 003, ... 365 means this week/last week, this month/last month, this year/last year, respectively.

Not ungrateful for everything you've given us! But I don't believe the way it is now is 'easier', even for you. :)

As a user, I'd rather have one thing to learn (YYYYMMDD), rather than try to remember if SMTWTFS, or 1, 2, 3, ... 31, or 001, 002, 003, ... 365 means this week/last week, this month/last month, this year/last year, respectively.

Not ungrateful for everything you've given us! But I don't believe the way it is now is 'easier', even for you. :)
Well, it's an easy fix in your case... Choose the perpetual "YYYMMDD-HHMMSS" option, and set your autopurge days to either 7, 30, or 365... or anything in between. I'm just trying to offer some options and flexibility for those who'd rather see things a different way.

Last edited:
Can you allow us to not purge? :D

Perpetual, and all. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!