What's new

baffled. losing 2.4ghz from update to 386.5 Beta

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bigAL991

Occasional Visitor
hi

need some help I have RT-AC86U and i updated to 386.5 Beta but kept losing 2.4ghz so downgraded back to 386.4 doing a reset before and again after. But no cannot connect anything to the 2.4ghz wirless.

I have tried resetting a couple more times and still nothing, I can see it on my phone but it just won't connect and nore will nay other devices

I guess I need to do a hard reset from here?

can any one point me in that direction.

thanks

I have RT-AC86U and i updated to 386.5 Beta but kept losing 2.4ghz so downgraded back to 386.4 doing a reset before and again after. But no cannot connect anything to the 2.4ghz wirless.

I have tried resetting a couple more times and still nothing, I can see it on my phone but it just won't connect and nore will nay other devices

I guess I need to do a hard reset from here?
How old is your unit? Could be a radio (hardware) issue - e.g. see this thread. Maybe flash latest stock to confirm.

Sounds like maybe you chose the wrong model number of the FW and the one you picked doesn't have the proper FW to enable the chipset if it's different than the one included in the downloaded version.

Sounds like maybe you chose the wrong model number of the FW and the one you picked doesn't have the proper FW to enable the chipset if it's different than the one included in the downloaded version.
hi
no definately the correct version, as i say before i upgraded to 386.5 the router was running perfectly

but thanks

That's not possible, there's only one model for the RT-AC86U. Additionally the router will not accept a firmware that is intended for a different model.

Thing is, you are far from alone. Personally, I had great faith in this version finally fixing these problems, so this is concerning news.
What is strange here is that you had a perfectly working version @386.4. But you seem to have ended up in the same place as I, which is that no amount of reflash/hard reset seems so unf*ck the router.

Currently, I have resorted to the latest official version (386_45956), which incidentally Has no received an update since last november, even though all the other Asus routers have received a 386_46** update, and it it not perfect: sometimes, all 2.4ghz clients drop permanently until I reset the router.

But again, I think you should bring this issue to the official 386.5 BETA thread, as your issue is directly related to an upgrade. Explain your whole issue there, and I'd hope Merlin himself takes some interest and give you a proper procedure to figure out what causes this so we can prevent another problematic release for AC86U owners..

Last edited:
Of note, not everyone is experiencing issues with recent releases for the RT-AC86U, myself included. The 386.5 releases for this router (in both Alpha and Beta state) use the same wireless driver as the 386.4 release, so the "breakdown" is unlikely to come from there.

It has been quite a while since I have done a complete factory reset, but it was sometime after the start of the whole 386.x series. In many cases that is a worthwhile endeavor, and tends to fix otherwise random wierdness. Certainly woth doing if that hasn't been done in quite some time.

Sadly, the RT-AC86U is also now known to be a somewhat problematic model that seems to suffer from more hardware failures than other models (certainly for the first few years of production, it might be too soon to know if that has been resolved in more recent year production samples). We probably just have to plan for that, knowing that these may physically break down before we would otherwise want to replace them for other performance/obsolescence reasons.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!