What's new

Bandwidth limiter for guest network slowed down entire LAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Not too far away, and, I disabled AX on 2.4, so it's now b/g/n.

Yeah that setting will allow 1 through 150 mbit/sec speeds (assuming you are using 20mhz channel, which I'd recommend). No need to add the extra AX stuff onto 2.4, most likely none of your 2.4 devices are AX anyway.

Yeah that setting will allow 1 through 150 mbit/sec speeds (assuming you are using 20mhz channel, which I'd recommend). No need to add the extra AX stuff onto 2.4, most likely none of your 2.4 devices are AX anyway.
Yes, i changed the default 20/40 to 20 Mhz only for my 2.4ghz. Seems to be a better idea in crowded wifi areas. So, a lot of the basics I already had covered, it was mainly the random disconnects that never really stopped until I moved the bulbs to the guest network.

Yes, i changed the default 20/40 to 20 Mhz only for my 2.4ghz. Seems to be a better idea in crowded wifi areas. So, a lot of the basics I already had covered, it was mainly the random disconnects that never really stopped until I moved the bulbs to the guest network.

The bulbs were being incessantly nagged by their significant other and just zoned out. Now they are enjoying peace and quiet. Hopefully that's the case, anyway. Time will tell. 20/40 was probably running at 20 anyway, only if a device requests 40 will it enable that. But I like to hardcode mine to 20 also. 40 never should have been introduced, was a terrible idea, and I don't want some device triggering the router to try and do 40.

I also (after many years of following the 1/6/11 hardcoded channel rule) now run auto on 2.4ghz. There are so many competing networks, I've found that even a low end router like the asus does a good job of finding the cleanest channel, and often it is an inbetween channel with overlap. A channel with some noise is better than one completely saturated with data from your neighbors.

The bulbs were being incessantly nagged by their significant other and just zoned out. Now they are enjoying peace and quiet. Hopefully that's the case, anyway. Time will tell. 20/40 was probably running at 20 anyway, only if a device requests 40 will it enable that. But I like to hardcode mine to 20 also. 40 never should have been introduced, was a terrible idea, and I don't want some device triggering the router to try and do 40.

I also (after many years of following the 1/6/11 hardcoded channel rule) now run auto on 2.4ghz. There are so many competing networks, I've found that even a low end router like the asus does a good job of finding the cleanest channel, and often it is an inbetween channel with overlap. A channel with some noise is better than one completely saturated with data from your neighbors.
I'll keep that in mind, I've had good stability with 2.4 set to channel 6, and 5ghz set to channel 36. Everything has worked well and is stable. As we've talked about, the bulbs were probably getting overloaded. Tonight they came on by my Alexa routine without issues. I have also set a routine for 4PM each day to turn the lights on and of and change color and then back off as a light test to make sure they are all still active and connected. So far it's worked well, and they've all passed the test.

Hey @drinkingbird, Just wanted to post a couple observations I saw yesterday, in addition to the bulbs doing better on the guest network, I also noticed the bulbs got a firmware update, as it shows a new version listed in the device info for each bulb in the wiz connected app. So, that also may have contributed to the improved stability. I wanted to ask, if you though, I would be introducing any kind of instability to the guest network, if I wanted to test a couple different brands of smart lights at the same time, of if since that's all that will be on the guest network, thing would remain stable.

Thanks.

Hey @drinkingbird, Just wanted to post a couple observations I saw yesterday, in addition to the bulbs doing better on the guest network, I also noticed the bulbs got a firmware update, as it shows a new version listed in the device info for each bulb in the wiz connected app. So, that also may have contributed to the improved stability. I wanted to ask, if you though, I would be introducing any kind of instability to the guest network, if I wanted to test a couple different brands of smart lights at the same time, of if since that's all that will be on the guest network, thing would remain stable.

Thanks.

Should be fine as long as those bulbs don't have some sort of bug causing excessive broadcasts, and hopefully aren't using MDNS discovery which would be uncommon (they should be responders only, a hub or smart device would usually be the one doing discovery).

You could set up another guest network with intranet disabled for testing if you wanted, probably not needed though.

It is possible they just weren't able to download/install the updated firmware before due to the connectivity problems and finally were able to get the whole thing now that those issues are gone. Guess it is chicken and egg, either could be the reason. But regardless, if there are no I'll effects, isolating them is a good thing.

@drinkingbird, add light bulbs to common troubleshooting - speedtest and light bulbs. ;)

@drinkingbird Well, seems like the issue is resolved, it's been a couple weeks and the whole network seems more stable overall. So, it looks like this could be set as a suitable solution for iOT disconnect issues.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!