What's new

Barely get wifi signal only 35ft away with ASUS RT-N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

skuba

New Around Here
Moved to new home a couple of weeks ago. Was initially running a Motorola WR850G and had weak signal in the bedrooms. So spent $160 for the ASUS RT-N6U based on the great reviews about it's reach. I had very little improvement. Router is in the living room only about 35 linear ft from bedroom.

90% of the time I can't connect to wifi with the ipad or iphone.

I am attaching the house layout so you can see the setup.

Caveat: 1940 house and some walls might have lead. Is this the problem?

THanks so much

Attachments

• wifi.png
    wifi.png
    42.1 KB · Views: 460
Are the antennas connected correctly?

Also you may want to be aware that there is an ongoing case of netgear vs asus that netgear has claimed that asus is boosting transmit power after they've obtained FCC certification and this is impacting netgear's business by being "unfair".

Your router may have one of the new firmware versions asus released that reduced the transmit power of the router. Please check the firmware release and let us know if this is the case.

If this is not the case:

Please ensure you have your router communicating on a non congested wireless channel. You can go to the Google Play store and search for the Amped Wireless Wifi Analytics tool>download it>it will tell you the least congested channels to use as well as other tools.

You may also download the program called InSSIDer if you have a windows based laptop and it will also scan networks and provide the congestion data as well.

Next you will need to config your router to use one that's not used.

If that is not the case:

You may need to go with homeplug adapters or range extenders.

You're trying to go through a lot of walls. If there is indeed metal in them, you are going to have a hell of a time with any router.

Best bet is to get an Ethernet cable back there somehow. If you can't, try a pair of powerline adapters.

Hi, I meant lead paint. Not metal on the wall. It's plaster and wood lath.

Antenna are correct. I get very good speeds up to the dining room, but once passed dining room into the bedrooms drops big time. Weird thing is that ipad and iphone will show 1 and sometimes 2 bars of reception, but they can't connect.

I have InSSIder but will check again the channels tonight. And will also check the firmware.

Thanks

Lead paint can still have a negative effect. So can mirrors, fish tanks and large refrigerators.

I can detect many networks from neighbors with 2 and 3 bars. All homes are from 1940 and would have about same lead paint amount.

Hi,
How about using something like inSSIDer to instead of reading graphic bars. Lead paint?
It will act like shield attenuating signal level for sure. Can you put the router in the attic
high above? Even for temporary to see what happens?

assuming ALL the client devices you've tried show a too-weak signal...And you've repositioned the router in the room as best as possible to minimize the number of walls in the path, any large RF unfriendly objects near the router, elevated the router, etc.

Then you need to get an access point (AP) in that area. Or put the router in that area and an AP in the other area.

Connect the AP to the router via
- cat5 cable under house, in attic,, etc.
- MoCA (IP over TV coax) if you have TV coax outlets in/near the two areas
- HomePlug (IP over AC power wires) - one at each area, carefully chosen AC outlets to avoid "signal suckers

I can detect many networks from neighbors with 2 and 3 bars. All homes are from 1940 and would have about same lead paint amount.

Pretty unlikely that you would have lead-based paint on the interior walls themselves. Lead-based paint was common on exterior paint, porches and windows, but rarely used on interior walls.

Since it's unlikely that you'll have an XRF machine laying around, the link below shows chemical testers that work well if you can find an old layer of paint (chip).

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/lead-test-kits/buying-guide.htm

Try to move the router to the center of the home or maybe a repeater or power line like suggested earlier.

It's the chicken wire reinforcement inside the plaster and lath walls...

Not quite a screen room, but it's a decent match for the 2.4GHz wavelengths, so there's a fair amount of attenuation...

sfx

Guys, my home was recently remodeled and I saw it down to the studs. I don't remember seeing any wire on the laths.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!