What's new

Basic backing settings/configs question - RT-AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stagger321

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I an running Merlin 384.8_2, and periodically backup the setup of my RT-AC86U.

There is saving the settings, and saving the JFFS partitions. I do both.
I also note a checkbox "Transfer ASUS DDNS name".
What is the effect of this checkbox, does the checking this box add something to the config file - for external access.
I have setup the WAN-DDNS page btw, for external access to the router.

Also, do the Manually assigned IP's in the LAN - DHCP Server tab get saved in any of the above files, because I prefer to have a lot of manually assigned IPs, and it would be a really pain to save all these.
Same question for my VPN client configs.

Thanks

I feel sure that the Transfer ASUS DDNS name simply means it saves that DDNS name in the backup file - to save you re-entering it manually on backup restoration. You can’t use the backup file on any other router, even an identical model, so transfer could only mean save it.

When you talk about the setting for external access to the router, I presume that is: “Method to retrieve the WAN IP”. If that’s what that setting does - allows you external access to the router’s GUI, then you really should tirn it off ie to Internal: allowing external access to the router GUI is asking to be hacked. The only recommended method to access the router’s GUI remotely, is to set up OpenVPN server.

I’m sure those DHCP settings must be backed up, if not, what’s the point of a backup? I’m not sure if you can view the backup file in a text viewer or other viewer, if so, you could have a look to reassure yourself.

As an aside, one thing worth knowing about Asus DDNS is, if you ever get a new Asus router and want to move your asus DDNS address across, you must first release it on the old router. You do that by entering a new/different asuscomm.com address in the old router; it can be anything you like so long as it’s not in use. The router will tell you if it has been accepted. Only then can you transfer your old DDNS address to the new router. If you fail to release it from the old router, when you enter it into the new one, you’ll be told that address is already in use and cannot be used.

As an aside, one thing worth knowing about Asus DDNS is, if you ever get a new Asus router and want to move your asus DDNS address across, you must first release it on the old router. You do that by entering a new/different asuscomm.com address in the old router; it can be anything you like so long as it’s not in use. The router will tell you if it has been accepted. Only then can you transfer your old DDNS address to the new router. If you fail to release it from the old router, when you enter it into the new one, you’ll be told that address is already in use and cannot be used.
Thanks, this still works. A lot better than calling support with both serial numbers, as they direct.

Thanks, this still works. A lot better than calling support with both serial numbers, as they direct.
I’m really glad it proved useful for you.

I jeep a spare RT-AC68U as a fallback in case something goes wrong when upgrading firmware or factory resetting. And I’ve now got into the habit of releasing my DDNS address before updating or factory resetting, so that, if anything does go wrong, my DDNS address is already freed up and can be used on my spare router. And that paid off not that long ago when I got into a pickle (self-inflicted) when things went from bad to worse and the spare router had to take over.

(i have stayed with Asus for my DDNS despite venting off when there were recent problems: it’s just so easy and convenient. And asuscomm.com sounds so much nicer than strangled.net)