What's new

BE96U AIMesh issues (many)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

joschu

New Around Here
I purchased 4 RT-BE96U routers to create a widely available mesh for our residence, replacing the Orbi WiFi 6 ZenWiFi system that kept disconnecting frequently. Being a previous Asus customer with the WiFi 6 mesh platform, I thought I'd be in better shape with the new devices, but cannot figure out how to resolve the issues I'm having and not receiving any support from Asus despite several attempts via email, shared logs, etc. Hoping to obtain some guidance here that can help me confirm it's the firmware vs my configuration issues.

Current setup:
I have a primary RT-BE96U router connected to my AT&T BGW320 modem in my office which is upstairs in our residence in a closed area. I then have 3 other RT-BE96U devices setup as mesh nodes in separate locations throughout the residence to provide ample coverage. Initial setup had the main router connected to the AT&T modem via WAN port on the router and then wired connection to a Cisco unmanaged switch. The switch then connects out to all the rooms and locations throughout the residence where wired ports are installed in each location. As you'll see the final setup ended up requiring me to ditch the switch (which has worked fine in the past) and only have the router connected to the modem, connecting to all the mesh nodes using wireless backhaul as I couldn't get the wired backhaul to work.

Issues:
  1. At first, I tried wired backhaul only connecting the ethernet in each mesh node's room to the WAN port on the mesh node, but for some reason the primary router would not locate 2 of the devices even after resetting all devices and adding these two devices back to the mesh network. In each case, the node appeared as disconnected in the node hierarchy / map with 0 devices connected. The one node that did not disconnect completely kept disconnecting frequently. Attaching screenshot of log when this happens.
  2. After this situation, I switched to wireless backhaul only. When doing so, only one mesh node continued to show as disconnected with 0 clients while the other 2 would continue to disconnect from the main router at sporadic times (it seems).
  3. In some cases with the network running, speeds go from 2-3MB per sec to 300-500MB per sec throughout the day with dramatic increases in ping response (600+ ms). See additional screenshot.
Summary:
I can't figure this out. Reading the logs with the main error I see repeating over and over again is “Deauthenticated because sending station is leaving (or has left) IBSS or ESS (3)” or “Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8)”. I also noticed even though the router admin site is saying each device has the latest firmware, the firmware on the router seems to be a later version than the nodes. All ethernet cables have been checked with 2 separate line testers (and they have just worked in the past). I just can't tell if this is a firmware issue or something I'm just doing wrong somehow.

Thanks in advance for any insight as I contacted Asus over a month ago for support and all that has happened was an ask to fill out a wireless feeback form which I submitted on November 8th. Since then I have received 4 email responses from different agents stating I will receive a response within 24/48 hours, without any actual response.

Screenshots:

log.png

log2.jpeg

firmware.jpeg

speedtest.jpeg

Welcome to the forums @joschu.

Don't use your handheld mobile devices to configure the router. Use a PC and a trusted browser instead.

Did you restore any old backup config files you had created on your old routers, to the new one(s)?

After updating the firmware to as current as possible, did you perform a full reset on all units, before configuring them fully?

After you got the nodes to connect to the main router, have you tried using the Ethernet cables (even with that same switch?

not receiving any support from Asus

Give some time to Asus to figure it out. Brand new products, you're in the beta testers team.

wired ports are installed in each location

And you purchased home routers for >$3000? I would go all Cisco or Ruckus for this price. Interesting decision.

Welcome to the forums @joschu.

Don't use your handheld mobile devices to configure the router. Use a PC and a trusted browser instead.

Did you restore any old backup config files you had created on your old routers, to the new one(s)?

After updating the firmware to as current as possible, did you perform a full reset on all units, before configuring them fully?

After you got the nodes to connect to the main router, have you tried using the Ethernet cables (even with that same switch?
Thanks for the quick reply and advice. Yes to all of the above and I did use my browser. Just took screenshots last night from mobile as I didn’t feel like going upstairs.

To confirm, you used old backup config files to configure the new main router?

apologies @L&LD yes to everything but restoring backup files. didn't need any. i am starting to narrow things down to a possible firmware issue with the devices. some of them will not support wired backhaul it appears. need to test more though. for now, i'm using wifi for everything (backhaul, end-user devices, etc) and have unplugged my switch rendering all wired ports useless just to test. all the nodes stay connected but still dealing with roaming between nodes, loss of connectivity between the nodes and router, etc. really annoying. turned off roaming assistant and smart connect. not losing connectivity as bad. log attached for review. you can see many issues between the nodes and router and disconnecting and reconnecting of devices between nodes even when those devices are in a fixed position (not moving between like a TV, etc)

Attachments

• syslog (1).txt
    300.8 KB · Views: 10
Joined to mention: looks like your 3 nodes are on the August firmware, which had mesh problems per Sept notes.

Before troubleshooting further, I’d put latest on all of them.

That router drives 6 wired nodes here. Rocky start but stable since Nov. Still waiting for other fixes ofc, particularly SDN, but it seems they’re fixing a lot with each release.

Welcome to the forums @Septimus.

Nice catch/first post!

Thanks for the response. I actually went to the Asus website and noticed there was a new firmware package last week and updated each node. Since then I haven’t had any issues.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!