What's new

Because typing WPA keys on a smartphone usually sucks

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I used to say "the future is mobile," but it seems that time is now and possibly has been for a while; it will be interesting to watch laptoppers connecting. (will they request ethernet?)

I've been operating WiFi in my home for almost twenty years and only once has someone ever showed up with a laptop and asked to connect. Phones, and tablets to a much lesser degree, are taking over casual internet/email use, but no matter how portable they make "computers" I think there just isn't a lot of utility in mobility for demanding tasks that require horsepower and large/multiple monitors. A laptop with similar horsepower to my desktop costs about 4 times as much, so the desktop isn't going anywhere.

Until a guest comes with a laptop, he will hate you. I have the QR available, but the password is in human language. :)
I hate myself when I have to enter that password into a smart TV using a remote control to scroll through an on screen keyboard :)

I used to say "the future is mobile," but it seems that time is now and possibly has been for a while; it will be interesting to watch laptoppers connecting. (will they request ethernet?)

I think someone was way ahead of you, there are even QR readers available for laptops in the Microsoft App Store, just select a camera device and off you go...

Last edited:
What a great idea for phones, now I only need a way to do it on my internet radio :cool: (no camera)

Off topic, but I just found out that my cheap @ss DAB+/Internet Radio has its own tiny webserver running, including a tab where I can scan for available networks and paste a WPA2 key to connect. Might give that a try.

Off topic, but I just found out that my cheap @ss DAB+/Internet Radio has its own tiny webserver running, including a tab where I can scan for available networks and paste a WPA2 key to connect. Might give that a try.
Ok, so to connect, I must have a connection so I can get the web pageo_O

Ok, so to connect, I must have a connection so I can get the web pageo_O

It depends: some have a SoftAP for wireless setup, others are equipped with an ethernet port. I found it a lot easier to just scan and paste the WPA2 key compared to 'dialing' in a 16 digit WPA2 key with exotic characters.

Special instructions for guests: If you visit my home and you want Wi-Fi, get ready to dance with your laptop around the fridge. :)
LOL! this is exactly what I was envisioning...Merlin's Dance of WiFi Joy

I've been operating WiFi in my home for almost twenty years and only once has someone ever showed up with a laptop and asked to connect. Phones, and tablets to a much lesser degree, are taking over casual internet/email use, but no matter how portable they make "computers" I think there just isn't a lot of utility in mobility for demanding tasks that require horsepower and large/multiple monitors. A laptop with similar horsepower to my desktop costs about 4 times as much, so the desktop isn't going anywhere.
You just don't have enough visitors/guests who are either developers/DevOps/sysadmins or scientists.
When our family travels, we often have two laptops with us.
And that is because we didn't travel during this school year, - otherwise we would have had 3 laptops, as the kid would have needed one for the virtual school lessons.
:)

I hate myself when I have to enter that password into a smart TV using a remote control to scroll through an on screen keyboard :)
Have you tried a USB keyboard? - My 6 year old LG TV works fine with one. Trust me to choose a 63 character random key though :rolleyes:

I found this worked well with an Android phone, and didn't work with a Chromebook using the same Android app. Or with a Windows 10 laptop. Both read the code fine, attempted the connection, but time out with a "not in range" message.

I've had several repairmen with laptops who needed internet access, and I think this is a quite convenient addition.