What's new

Been away...help:)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

d_v_us

Regular Contributor
Yo...just upgraded to a AC86U from my old reliable RT-N66U.....having some somewhat major issues setting it up in repeater like i had the N66U. Loaded up Merlin firmware 384.7.0 and was trying to configure it in repeator mode but....it keeps grabbing an IP of 192.168.50.1, which isnt even my range on my network. In the past I've always choosen "automatically get IP" and it would find the correct range and assign it without any problems....what has changed. I've wiped it several times now and it wont seem to grab the correct IP even when I hook it straight up to the modem I'm trying to hang it off of...help pls:)

Is the anyway to wipe what appears to be a hardcoded IP address off this thing

Last edited:
@d_v_us Try the beta 384.8 beta. There's a know issue with the repeater/AP mode that is fixed in that beta.

BTW 192.168.50.1 is the new default router address for that model whereas before it was 192.168.1.1.

@d_v_us Try the beta 384.8 beta. There's a know issue with the repeater/AP mode that is fixed in that beta.

BTW 192.168.50.1 is the new default router address for that model whereas before it was 192.168.1.1.

Thanks for responding.....will upgrade my firmware. Was just wondering if I was gonna have to RMA it...glad that's not the case. Ok....now to address the new default address of 192.168.50.1. How can that be the default when the 3rd octet should always be "1"? Wouldn’t that mean someone would have to change their entire IP range on their network if that’s the case?

Last edited:
It doesn't matter what the IP address is (other than it's a private one and not a public one) because it can be changed in the router's web interface during the initial setup. There's no particular significance to the 3rd octet.

But as you want to run it as a repeater it's rather irrelevant because it will pick up a DHCP address from whatever you are using as your main router.

New beta firmware didn’t solve the problem...am I the only one having issues with repeator mode on this model:(

Can you describe exactly what you're doing and what results you're getting. In your first post you said you were setting up a repeater, then you said you were setting up an access point. They are different things.

Can you describe exactly what you're doing and what results you're getting. In your first post you said you were setting up a repeater, then you said you were setting up an access point. They are different things.

Repeator mode...sorry ur right...getting loopy from trying to figure out what’s goin on.

I do appreciate ur efforts though

Last edited:
OK, so after you've gone through the setup procedure for repeater mode can wireless clients now connect to the repeater? In theory this should work irrespective of what IP address the repeater has.

After you initially setup the repeater mode how are you determining it's new IP address (the Asus Discovery Utility?).

What is the primary wireless router (make and model) that you are connecting the repeater to?

There is a video here that goes through the process of setting up repeater mode after doing a factory reset on the device. (Yes the guy is very irritating in the introduction, just bear with it.) As you can see, if you are having a problem with the repeater not picking up its 192.168.1.x address from your primary router's DHCP you can set it manually during the setup procedure.

Colin, thank you for ur patience....problem has been resolved. As always, problem was the idiot in front of the screen...me:) Basically I needed to pay attention to what the screen was telling me and slow down. I did end up setting the IP manually though which also helped. One last thing I've noticed though...on the config page upper right hand of the page...it shows you the two core processors activity.....does the 2nd processor ever kick in?

Glad to hear you got it working. Regarding the processor; the network stuff is mostly single-threaded so can't use more than one core (and the wireless traffic is largely offloaded to separate chips). If you were running some other services on the device, like file sharing for example, that could use the second core. But as you're just using it as a repeater you probably won't see more than one core active.

I have to say, using an RT-AC86U as just a repeater sounds like overkill.

Last edited:
Lolz....ur right it is overkill but.....unfortunately the stupid cable company I currently have makes me put their router in front which leaves me to make all others...access points or repeaters:) In the past I purchased my own motorola cable modems and used my own routers. Unfortunately I'm getting too busy to play with all the possible configurations to eliminate "big brothers" need for control:) My house is rather large and having a good repeater in my man cave kinda helps?

Since they dont make updates for my old trusty RT-N66U, I popped for this AC86U ta take its place. I move alot so I'm hoping the next place I live I'll go back to using Comcast cable which gives me back control of my devices:)