What's new

Before I throw out my Asus AC88u router$%#$&% Merlin?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

So I can assume the router is a piece of (*&#(*& like I thought?

Or it just has a hardware issue. After two years of trying, I'd get a different router.

OE

Update: So today it showed slow upload on 5g, like 3mbps upload and download plus 150 mbps I then checked hardwire Lan and it showed the same. So I rebooted the router and its back to normal. So I can assume the router is a piece of (*&#(*& like I thought?

there also showed no performance issue with the computer in system status on the router page.
When this happened, did you yank the cable from the router and connect direct to the fios gear to check their connection?

No but Ill do that next time... it will happen again
since you said the status page shows fine CPU usage, I will also verify with the adaptive QoS page to see if anything is actaully uploading stuff.
you dont have to turn on the QoS to use it, it just quick glance for the network usage on the router.
you can do a speed test with that page opened and get some idea how it works.

Hopefully it's not some device going crazy on uploading stuff :O
if new router works out for you, I will still go thru warranty claim and resell the router to get some money back ;p

since you said the status page shows fine CPU usage, I will also verify with the adaptive QoS page to see if anything is actaully uploading stuff.
you dont have to turn on the QoS to use it, it just quick glance for the network usage on the router.
you can do a speed test with that page opened and get some idea how it works.

Hopefully it's not some device going crazy on uploading stuff :O
if new router works out for you, I will still go thru warranty claim and resell the router to get some money back ;p
I’ll check that out also. Router is well over 2 yrs old and I am pretty sure they only have a 2 yr warranty. But I’ll check into that regardless. Good info and I appreciate all the great support. Fabulous

Ok so upload speeds went down again, so I checked the qos and saw nothing. Then I unplugged from the router and directly into my computer for the most part. My upload speed stayed the same. 7mbps so maybe its not the router. of which Verizon refuses to say anything is wrong on their end. I went over this with them over and over last year. had a guy come out and he could not find anything wrong. he replaced my ONT. so now im back at a loss for what is causing this.

upon unplugging the ONT for a min or so. Plug it back in and the upload speed is back to 150 mbp up and down. so what gives??

Last edited:
Ok so upload speeds went down again, so I checked the qos and saw nothing. Then I unplugged from the router and directly into my computer for the most part. My upload speed stayed the same. 7mbps so maybe its not the router. of which Verizon refuses to say anything is wrong on their end. I went over this with them over and over last year. had a guy come out and he could not find anything wrong. he replaced my ONT. so now im back at a loss for what is causing this.

upon unplugging the ONT for a min or so. Plug it back in and the upload speed is back to 150 mbp up and down. so what gives??

If you think it's an ISP issue, request service and show them the problem.

OE

when it happens again, do a test here https://www.verizon.com/speedtest/ and tell them the result

One of the reason I suggested unplug the ONT and the battery for the ONT is to make sure it's reset.
Especially if it happens recently after thunderstorm.

And it is def a pain to use 3rd party router without bridge thru their router.
I normally have to call them every 1 - 1.5 years to tell them release the mac addresss and reestablish the connection so that I can go online.
It might help in your case, just tell them that there is no connection and they have to release the mac address and rebind it.

Or if you already have their router, you can set bridge mode up and give them no reason to not help
https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r3...O-Bridge-G1100-So-your-Router-becomes-Primary
it basically act as an interface only.

Last edited:

Sounds like an ISP issue. Sorry bud, I know i went a few rounds with Time Warner until i finally got the docsis 3 modem with enough channels that pretty much let me get high speed. Lucky thing most of my neighbors never swap out their gear. It's like having a new highway all to yourself.

A lot of times, you'll see throttling and packet loss around the same time everyone gets home from school, at nights and weekends. Because of tcp slow start, every packet that is lost can cause significant slowness in transfer speeds. Every one is coming home and starting up netflix/hulu and whatnot.

If you run a continuous ping to multiple destination in different windows do you see packet loss?

for example, i did a traceroute to 1.1.1.1

then i setup a continuous ping to every next hop between me and the dns server. If the network is solid, the latency should be consistent and the packet loss should be zero and i usually do this from a machine directly connected to the router to make sure i'm not troubleshooting wireless issues. If not, it may help you identify where the problem lies.

Last edited:
See that’s the issue. They refuse to really do anything about it bc I won’t use their Verizon router. I’ve been around and around with them.

So use their router and show them their problem.

OE

Update: I just installed the synology router and I’m getting the same issue. Upload speeds tank. I called Verizon and am waiting for a call back. I have ran cat 6 cable two times so I can’t be the cable. I don’t know what to tell them. I am dreading the phone calls and back and forth with them.

Update: I just installed the synology router and I’m getting the same issue. Upload speeds tank. I called Verizon and am waiting for a call back. I have ran cat 6 cable two times so I can’t be the cable. I don’t know what to tell them. I am dreading the phone calls and back and forth with them.

Are you testing with a PC wired to the router and nothing else connected?

OE

Are you testing with a PC wired to the router and nothing else connected?

OE
Why yes I am. It’s actually a mbp 2018. They are gonna send a tech out tomorrow. Anything I should know to ask or say. Or do now? I could take the router out and hook just the computer up? But I’m sure it’s not the router?

Why yes I am. It’s actually a mbp 2018. They are gonna send a tech out tomorrow. Anything I should know to ask or say. Or do now? I could take the router out and hook just the computer up? But I’m sure it’s not the router?

Be prepared to demonstrate the problem using their router/their network. If the tech is helpful, he may troubleshoot the problem using your router disconnected from your network.

Also check for network driver updates for your mbp.

OE

Be prepared to demonstrate the problem using their router/their network. If the tech is helpful, he may troubleshoot the problem using your router disconnected from your network.

Also check for network driver updates for your mbp.

OE

Ok cool. just now I connected direct to the computer. and got a little more upload speed 22mbps . I have zero updated for the computer. It also did this with my old MBP.

then I hook up the router and bam, my speeds are back to 150 up and down. what gives!!

Last edited:
Ok cool. just now I connected direct to the computer. and got a little more upload speed 22mbps . I have zero updated for the computer. It also did this with my old MBP.

Have you tried testing with another client to rule out the mbp?

OE

Have you tried testing with another client to rule out the mbp?

OE
No..... but a mbp could cause these issues? I mean I can't be the only person with one doing exactly what I am doing can I? side note. Thank you for your replies I really appreciate it.

I can when the wife gets back in town. she has a pc laptop.

No..... but a mbp could cause these issues? I mean I can't be the only person with one doing exactly what I am doing can I? side note. Thank you for your replies I really appreciate it.

I can when the wife gets back in town. she has a pc laptop.

Troubleshooting unknowns is often most easily done by a process of elimination. If a second test client works, then you can suspect some issue related to your mbp... next step would be to update its network adapter drivers, if they are not current.

OE

Not sure how you have been setup the router to connect directly to ONT
If you been just copy mac address, and hook the router up.
tell them to release the mac address of your router on file, and reset the connection.

at least that's what works for my ONT and when I experience issue with my fios service.