What's new

Before I throw out my Asus AC88u router$%#$&% Merlin?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Not sure how you have been setup the router to connect directly to ONT
If you been just copy mac address, and hook the router up.
tell them to release the mac address of your router on file, and reset the connection.

at least that's what works for my ONT and when I experience issue with my fios service.

I’ve just connected it and it just worked. I didn’t do anything special.

I’ve just connected it and it just worked. I didn’t do anything special.
totally different than how it works for my FIOS ;x
assuming you dont have fios router
you can consider ask the tech to leave you a router to troubleshot, if the tech can't figure out what happen tomorrow.
probably gonna cost you 10 bux a month, but at least it can work as a proof that something is wrong on their end.

totally different than how it works for my FIOS ;x
assuming you dont have fios router
you can consider ask the tech to leave you a router to troubleshot, if the tech can't figure out what happen tomorrow.
probably gonna cost you 10 bux a month, but at least it can work as a proof that something is wrong on their end.

I actually went this route last year. Got their router and I believe I had the same issues. I can't remember at this time. But I sent it back.

Have you tried using different cables between your pc and the router and from the fios unit to the router?

update after the coolest and most nicest Verizon Tech came out:

He saw what I have been seeing. Decided to run the Fiber directly into my office. Which was really easy, so we did that. He put the new ONT inside my office and bam. speeds are good. Checked and double checked. Good for now. Offered to leave me a Verizon router for testing. I felt like I didn't need it. even though he said it was free, he has many of them. Gave me is personal cell said call if it acts up. Now what he did see when he went to the ONT on the outside, the power that supplied the ONT was something known to go bad. So that could have been it. who knows. But running the fiber right to my room helps when I call if it happens again. I can say theres fiber right here.anyway I will let you know how it goes. Thanks for all the help.

hours later. I cannot believe how fast my computer is. its working flawlessly

I've been missing this kind of speed for a long time!!

Last edited:
update after the coolest and most nicest Verizon Tech came out:

He saw what I have been seeing. Decided to run the Fiber directly into my office. Which was really easy, so we did that. He put the new ONT inside my office and bam. speeds are good. Checked and double checked. Good for now. Offered to leave me a Verizon router for testing. I felt like I didn't need it. even though he said it was free, he has many of them. Gave me is personal cell said call if it acts up. Now what he did see when he went to the ONT on the outside, the power that supplied the ONT was something known to go bad. So that could have been it. who knows. But running the fiber right to my room helps when I call if it happens again. I can say theres fiber right here.anyway I will let you know how it goes. Thanks for all the help.

hours later. I cannot believe how fast my computer is. its working flawlessly

I've been missing this kind of speed for a long time!!

Glad it worked out and you didn't have to chuck your asus router :)