What's new

Beneficial to do factory reset after firmware update?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

binarydad

Regular Contributor
What conditions warrant a factory reset? For example, when doing a minor update, say 3.0.0.4.386_46061 to 3.0.0.4.386_49447, is there any benefit to a factory reset? When WOULD it be beneficial? Thanks.

It doesn't hurt to do a reset after a firmware update...

It mostly relates to what is in the update - bug fix releases are one thing, major feature additions are another...

I can't think of a scenario when doing a minor update that would warrant a factory reset. You'd only really need to do one if some component has changed so much that its default parameters have changed. That rarely happens. Maybe something like OpenVPN moving to a new version where old options have become obsolete or better encryption is being used by default.

What conditions warrant a factory reset? For example, when doing a minor update, say 3.0.0.4.386_46061 to 3.0.0.4.386_49447, is there any benefit to a factory reset? When WOULD it be beneficial? Thanks.

That's the problem... the uncertainty of it all. My approach is to keep it simple and quick and always clean install the firmware... problem solved.

Reset FAQ

OE

There's quite a bit of lore on these boards that factory-reset-and-manually-reinstall-your-configuration has solved various weird problems with ASUS routers. It's not clear how much of that is real. My advice is to always be prepared to do that --- that is, keep adequate notes on the setup process and what non-default settings you're using --- but don't waste your time on actually doing it unless you hit said weird problems. In theory, ASUS tested the update process, right?

The one case where I think the odds might favor a pre-emptive reset is if you are downgrading to a previous firmware release. ASUS likely hasn't tested that case, and it'd be plausible for the older release to not understand some configuration data left behind by the newer one.

It is always beneficial to do a full reset to factory defaults, after flashing the firmware you want to use, and without using any saved backup config files (or inserting a USB drive that was previously used for amtm and/or additional scripts).

The reason for the 'always' above? Because it should put your router to a good/known state and any troubleshooting that is done afterward is more likely to give expected results (and if it doesn't; that usually indicates a hardware issue - particularly if another full/proper reset gives the same erroneous results).

Having said the above, a full reset is really needed only if your network stops behaving the way you want/expect it too. And of course, it is particularly needed when the firmware notes specifically state so.

I install/use the RMerlin alpha/beta fw, so I do a full reset (no backups and manually install settings) at each FW Release. This insures that my router is purged of all testing "gremlins".
FYI: I was informed that I needlessly worried about leaving my usb enclosure plugged in during fw updates, and there should be zero issues of leaving the usb attached during fw updates, and there haven't been :)

" and there haven't been :)".

So far. lol...

Might I direct your attention to This Post, regarding the removal of usb attached drives, during fw updates.
Everyone Have A Great Day!

Yes, I have seen that post (of course).

The key from that RMerlin post is

... then sometimes flashing may fail due to not having enough free RAM.

And regardless of whether you use it for scripts and/or USB 'nas' duties, that can come to bite you for different reasons, but the net effect is the quote above, and that is where the upgrade failure will show.

I have Asus AX-88U for 1.5 years and never did factory reset even after switching from stock to RMerlin and back and never had any issues related. The Internet and wifi ( N,AC, AX) are rock solid. The only DOT issues on WiFI with my IoT devices was fixed by software updates.
May be this a bad practice but i will do factory reset with fresh configuration if will see any small problems.

I’m new to this forum. But the questions posted on this thread is something with which I have a bit of experience. In fact, it was this question that prompted me to become a member.

But before I tell you my story, let me first say, that I am in awe of the level of expertise on this forum. That is not to say that I lack some computer skills. I did learn to program Fortran on punch cards. And I have been a computer enthusiast for a very long time. My profession (retired now) did not have anything to do with computers, however, I have always had a passion for computers and learning – I’m mostly self-taught.

Now, for my story….

Once upon a time, I used what my ISP gave me. But I learned that was not the smartest thing so I purchased a Motorola 8600 and RT-AC88U. It was a pretty good router with 8 ethernet ports.

I configured the router with static IPs and used MAC address filtering and WIFI isolation along with manually setting the DNS to secure my LAN as much as I could. I would make backups of my settings and updated the router FW whenever a new version was introduced – no router reset. I did cold reboot the router after each update. Life was good for years.

Then, one day, after updating the router with new FW, things went bad. Don’t know why. Nothing seemed to work. I couldn’t log into the router and had no Internet. I tried a bunch of tricks but nothing seemed to work. So, a full factory reset was my only option. The factory reset allowed me to get back into the router and I performed another FW update. This time it worked.

Fortunately, I had kept good notes and had a system backup. Although I had the system backup, I elected not to use it fearing there was something in the system configuration that caused the problem in the first place. So, like a good soldier, I manually typed in every static IP and every MAC address and all my other settings. It took over an hour. This is something I don’t wish to repeat.

But the story is not over….

Not long ago, I purchased a new RT-AX88U (AX). At time of purchase, the FW versions for my AC88U and new AX88U were different. And that meant using my backup settings for the AC router would not likely work for the AX router. But, for reasons beyond this the scope of this post, I waited several weeks before provisioning the AX88U. And by that time, the FW for each AC and AX were the same.

So, okay. Why not try. I got the AX operational and made a backup of the settings. Then tried uploading my AC settings into my new AX router. It worked.

That was several FW updates ago. Life is good – so far!

So what is the moral of this story? Sometimes you get the bear. And other times, the bear gets you. Be prepared.

The technical reason is more an issue with the settings database (Db). If Asus adds new features, the settings Db needs to add new fields. That means the update process has to translate the old settings Db to the new settings Db. In a perfect world, this is not a problem. But in this real world, Db translation is not always perfect. And in this latter case, Things go wrong in a hurry.

A special thanks to all forum members who help those like me without professional experience – especially to those that taught me how to find out the CPU temperature of my router :).

So, okay. Why not try. I got the AX operational and made a backup of the settings. Then tried uploading my AC settings into my new AX router. It worked.
You should never do this. This has been explained many times in these forums. The backup file is only intended to be used to recover the settings for the router it was created on, and running the same firmware version. The settings file is not designed to be transferable to another router, not even if it's of the same model. The reason being that the file contains settings that are unique to each model and each router. Restoring the file onto another router may appear to work, and indeed may not cause any perceived problems. But it may cause non-obvious problems or just be sub-optimal (e.g. using ac WiFi settings on an ax router).

You should never do this. This has been explained many times in these forums. The backup file is only intended to be used to recover the settings for the router it was created on, and running the same firmware version. The settings file is not transferable to another router, not even if it's of the same model. The reason being that the file contains settings that are unique to each model and each router. Restoring the file onto another router may appear to work, and indeed may not cause any perceived problems. But it may cause non-obvious problems or just be sub-optimal (e.g. using ac WiFi settings on an ax router).
Tks ColinTaylor,

I will take appropriate action.
Although I have read elsewhere on this forum that settings backup files are the same across different models as long as the FW versions are identical. If this is not the case, then Asus is violating every computing protocol I know by not making FW version numbers different for each model.

Last edited:
FWIW, this windows utility allows you to view (and edit) NVRAM configuration files for AsusWRT (and others) here: https://www.medo64.com/wrtsettings/

It would be interesting to see if other router models have the same Db line count as mine. My AX88U has 3226 lines with FW 386.48631. If other models have running the same FW have the same Db line count, then it is likely system settings are the same for different models on the same FW.

Although I have read elsewhere on this forum that settings backup files are the same across different models as long as the FW versions are identical. If this is not the case, then Asus is violating every computing protocol I know by not making FW version numbers different for each model.
Back "in the day", when configuration files first became a "thing", they often contained serial numbers and other such unique information. The real value in that was it made some device easier to "hack" by using common serial numbers to share paid apps and such.

Asus config files, as I understand it, are essentially black boxes or blobs rather than let's say xml or text files that contain readable strings to load/save variable values. This, although in theory the attributes within a single model should in theory be loadable into another unit, it is still best practice to not do so. As the hardware architecture is different between models, I am thoroughly surprised there isn't an automatic block on loading a config from one model into another as this is for firmware. Companies are notorious for locking down even seemingly innocuous files such as configuration files, many times for security or other valid reasons.

As for Asus breaking "every computing protocol" you know, I could point you to literally hundreds of companies that use the same firmware versions across models. As I read this forum and one other daily the first example that comes to mind is QNAP. Dozens of models share the same firmware version number. The majority of the code is identical, simplifying the build process. Only specific drivers unique to the hardware needs to be added on top.

From experience - basic settings configuration file containing only login user/pass, the LAN IP, channel number, channel width, SSIDs with pass, DNS servers, etc... works between different Asus router models just fine. No ill effects or performance issues observed. I know why it is wrong, but I also found the NVRAM variables for basic configuration are all the same. Not recommended and not guaranteed, but it works. It works even with more settings like DHCP reservations, client names and custom icons, if the platform is the same, i.e. HND -> HND router. ARM7 -> HND doesn't work for multiple reasons. AC HND router to AX HND router also works for Wi-Fi Professional settings, but not vice versa again for obvious reasons.

It was fun to have multiple Asus routers to play with. ;)

This is incorrect. No "computing protocols" are being violated here. Different hardware models require a (slightly) different set of user variables.

FWIW, this windows utility allows you to view (and edit) NVRAM configuration files for AsusWRT (and others) here: https://www.medo64.com/wrtsettings/

It would be interesting to see if other router models have the same Db line count as mine. My AX88U has 3226 lines with FW 386.48631. If other models have running the same FW have the same Db line count, then it is likely system settings are the same for different models on the same FW.
The settings file is not a database. It's a simple dump of all the variables that define the current configuration of the router. Some of these variables are added, changed or deleted as the user configures the router. Other variables are added, changed or deleted as part of the router's normal operation.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!