What's new

"Best" 5ghz Bridge pair?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BillB

Occasional Visitor
Not getting the warm fuzzies from my powerline connection

Since all my other wireless is currently on the 2.4 ghz band, I have 5ghz free for briding from my router to my entertainment center.

The distance is not that great and my floorplan is pretty open so I think my throughput could actually end up being better than the best I am getting from the powerline even with the up/down penalty.

Pulling wire is just not an option

Not getting the warm fuzzies from my powerline connection

Since all my other wireless is currently on the 2.4 ghz band, I have 5ghz free for briding from my router to my entertainment center.

Are you using all three non-overlapping channels in 2.4GHz?

Sporadic dropped connnections on Powerlines...not quite ready to give up on them

Interesting advice on the WET610....I saw this in the review

"So you can't use a pair of WET6's to wirelessly join two Ethernet segments"

Interesting advice on the WET610....I saw this in the review

"So you can't use a pair of WET6's to wirelessly join two Ethernet segments"
ACK! You're right. Had a brain fart. Sorry.
The D-Link DAP-1522 will work at both ends.
You could also upgrade to a simultaneous dual-band router and then use one of the Ciscos.

I am using a pair of Asus RT-N56U as a wireless bridge on 5.0 GHz. It is giving me the best speeds among the various options I tested. For example, for my laptop, I get better speeds connecting to one of the RT-N56U (via wire) that is wireless bridged to the main RT-N56U than connecting wireless to the main unit (be it 2.4 GHz or 5.0 GHz). My other testing configurations included:

a) A pair of Aztech 200 Mbps homeplugs
b) A pair of Aztech 1 Gigabit homeplugs (based on the Gigle chipset)
c) A pair of Aztech 500 Mbps homeplugs (based on the Atheros chipset)
d) A pair of Trendnet 500 Mbps homeplugs (again based on the Atheros chipset)

Hi

I want to wirelessly bridge two RT-N56U also. I have one upstairs with the dsl modem and another in the basement. If I could get an ethernet line down there I'd use that ...

Dr_ARCHer: I am using a pair of Asus RT-N56U as a wireless bridge on 5.0 GHz. It is giving me the best speeds among the various options I tested.

what is the proper way to go about this ?

many thanks in advance ...

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!