What's new

Best ax router to purchase…

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Wait what ?! No Mimo support for AX as opposed to AC wave 2 ?!?!?!….
You may be confusing MIMO, which has been part of Wi-Fi since 802.11n, with MU-MIMO. 802.11ac standardized MU-MIMO methods and supported downlink (DL) only. 11ax introduced Uplink (UL) MU-MIMO. Both forms of MU-MIMO must be supported on both STA and AP.

Most client STA's are going to be 2*2:2 based, even with 11ax, so outside of someone copying large files (seriously, how many people do that all of the time???) one will really be pressed hard to tell the difference between an AP that is WiFi 6 vs one that is WiFi 5.

Indeed. One of the reasons why I'm not in a hurry to upgrade my AC Wave 2 access points.

You may be confusing MIMO, which has been part of Wi-Fi since 802.11n, with MU-MIMO. 802.11ac standardized MU-MIMO methods and supported downlink (DL) only. 11ax introduced Uplink (UL) MU-MIMO. Both forms of MU-MIMO must be supported on both STA and AP.
@thiggins

What's your stand currently on using MU-MIMO & OFDMA on the asus routers?

Would this be something you recommend or keep disabled as it does not provide any advantages?

@thiggins

What's your stand currently on using MU-MIMO & OFDMA on the asus routers?

Would this be something you recommend or keep disabled as it does not provide any advantages?
If you have Wi-Fi 6 devices, give them a try. Otherwise you can keep them disabled.

Moreover I would wait for 6E devices that actually increase the spectrum for wifi 6 as over time I would assume congestion will pickup.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!