What's new

Best choice for access point?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ericbergan

Occasional Visitor
I have a Linksys e3000 running dd-wrt as an access point that is dying. Main router is an 87u on 380.60 B2.

What's my best choice for something as an access point running Merlin? I do need it to step up to 802.11ac.

Thanks!

Eric

I have a Linksys e3000 running dd-wrt as an access point that is dying. Main router is an 87u on 380.60 B2.

What's my best choice for something as an access point running Merlin? I do need it to step up to 802.11ac.

Thanks!

Eric

Why are you using the device with the worser WiFi as an AP?
and I would even say that DD-WRT has better routing capabilities.

I would switch the device's jobs; e3000 as router and 87u as AP.

Why are you using the device with the worser WiFi as an AP?
and I would even say that DD-WRT has better routing capabilities.

I would switch the device's jobs; e3000 as router and 87u as AP.

As I said, the e3000 is dying, dropping WiFi connections. I did run an e3000 as the router, but it was too slow to keep up with my 150 Mbit Internet connection.

I'd go with Ubiquiti UniFi series, it'll perform way better than Linksys or Asus consumer wi-fi routers or APs.

I'd go with Ubiquiti UniFi series, it'll perform way better than Linksys or Asus consumer wi-fi routers or APs.

If you simply add a Ubiquiti UniFi AP to an ASUS router setup, do you still get the same WIFI performance, robustness, etc. as opposed to using the Ubiquiti UniFi with an Ubiquiti router?

If you simply add a Ubiquiti UniFi AP to an ASUS router setup, do you still get the same WIFI performance, robustness, etc. as opposed to using the Ubiquiti UniFi with an Ubiquiti router?

Yes, but...

the downside to the unifi is you need the unifi controller running on a computer somewhere on your network for some of the advanced features of the unifi to work. For use as a basic AP you can run the unifi controller to setup your APs and then stop it until you want to modify your config

Thanks for the info. I think handling basic AP duties would be sufficient for my use case. So I should be good.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!