What's new

Best connection between router and 2 switches ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tomo

Regular Contributor
Hi, i need your advice on the best connection in my network without bottlenecks, considering that now i have not particular problems, it is just to have the best and correct solution. My doubt is how connect my two 8 Lan Switch gigabit to the router, under a pics of my configuration. It's ok or is better connect the router to the first switch and then connect the two switches toghether ?

Thanks
Senza titolo.png

Hi, i need your advice on the best connection in my network without bottlenecks, considering that now i have not particular problems, it is just to have the best and correct solution. My doubt is how connect my two 8 Lan Switch gigabit to the router, under a pics of my configuration. It's ok or is better connect the router to the first switch and then connect the two switches toghether ?

Thanks
View attachment 44803

What you have makes sense... star topology is more direct/less hops than daisy-chain topology.

OE

Thanks
View attachment 44803
That is the best connection. There is nothing better.

Thanks to everyone, sometimes doubts haunt me.;)

With your particular hardware it's better in theory only. If you connect the switches, you have 1x Gigabit link back to the router for all connected to the switches devices. If you connect each switch to the router individually, you have 2x Gigabit links back to the router. In real life though it doesn't matter much because your WAN port is Gigabit and transfers between switch connected devices is still limited to Gigabit. You will never notice any difference in common use scenarios. In this case it's more matter of convenience or how your LAN infrastructure is organized.

Unfortunately my internet connection is really bad and there is nothing good for the future, i was asking this thing about the switches mainly for the transfer in lan between the various home devices, the idea was to buy the new asus Gt-Ax6000 and move the current Ac86u into Mesh instead of the old ac68. I don't remember where but i had read something about the not excellent quality of the gigabit switch that asus mounts on the ac86u.

Nothing is excellent quality in a consumer router. Mostly disposable hardware made to last few years and be replaced. External design is more important than hardware/software. RGB models are the best. :cool:

gigabit switch that asus mounts on the ac86u

My general suggestion is to replace this router with something else:

My general suggestion is to replace this router with something else:
yes, i'm waiting for black friday to see if the price of the gt-ax6000 drops, at the moment it's the asus router that gives me more confidence.

While consumer routers may not have the pinnacle in switching tech (particularly with greater than 4 port models), they are certainly no worse than the typical 5-port and 8-port switches available for $10 to $20 when on sale (and here, I'm not including any Asus router with greater than 4 LAN ports).

What I would suggest is testing a network switch (5-port or higher) plugged into each native LAN port on the router (Ports 1-4 only, with a switch, plugged into each port, only if needed). With the RT-AC68U AiMesh node plugged into the switch which has the least internet traffic (normally).

This allows you to combine your network devices into the most logical groups and lets the router only handle what it must.

Very stable networks were built like this for many years, with the exact routers you are using today.

When/if you do make the jump to 2.5GbE networking, the difference will be eye-opening. Particularly if regularly transfer files within your networks (computer(s) to computer(s), computer(s) to NASs, or NASs to computer(s)).

Note that you'll need at least two 2.5GbE switches though if you want to have wired connections at the AiMesh node location. Unless you were future proofing enough to run more than a single Ethernet cable to that far location.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!