What's new

Best options for roaming devices - AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Draken

Occasional Visitor
I seem to have issues with a couple of mobiles roaming between a AC-86U (main router) and a AC-86U node.

From time to time the mobile devices get disconnected from the wifi and I get an authentication error. If I reconnect them all is fine. I suspect it has to do with the devices roaming between the node and the main router but disabling the Roaming assistant didnt help much. Any other ideas on which settings can facilitate a more seamless roaming between the node and the router?

I seem to have issues with a couple of mobiles roaming between a AC-86U (main router) and a AC-86U node.

From time to time the mobile devices get disconnected from the wifi and I get an authentication error. If I reconnect them all is fine. I suspect it has to do with the devices roaming between the node and the main router but disabling the Roaming assistant didnt help much. Any other ideas on which settings can facilitate a more seamless roaming between the node and the router?
What firmware are you using?

Try alpha3, it has aimesh2. You can bind clients to specific nodes.Working very well here on 86u's

@bbunge: 384.19 on both
@rlj2: Hmmmmmm problem is that the mobiles do need to roam as the node and the router do not reach everywhere so I dont want to lock them to one node. Anyway will give it a try.

Try raising (less negative) the Roaming Assistant band RSSI threshold(s). The 2.4/5.0 defaults are -70/-70. I had to go to -55/-70 to fix my 2.4 mobile connection after the introduction of a new SDK from the WiFi radio OEM.

OE

Try raising (less negative) the Roaming Assistant band RSSI threshold(s). The 2.4/5.0 defaults are -70/-70. I had to go to -55/-70 to fix my 2.4 mobile connection after the introduction of a new SDK from the WiFi radio OEM.

OE

Yeah I have already raised it to -50 which seems to be doing the trick with one of the devices but not the other one. I will try the alpha version in case it solves the issue.

@rlj2: Hmmmmmm problem is that the mobiles do need to roam as the node and the router do not reach everywhere so I dont want to lock them to one node. Anyway will give it a try.
I kind of wondered that with the mobiles. Mesh2 still might help. I constantly walk from my house to barn on the phone (I have to use wifi calling here). So far its been quite a bit better then mesh 1

Ouch...never again Alpha version. Just spent 1h trying to go back to .19. My main router became unresponsive upon flashing the Alpha one. Thankfully a reset worked and I have saved my old settings so I am running .19 again but I wont be experimenting with experimental versions from now on :) I would have to wait for the stable aimesh2 version I guess.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!