What's new

BEST OS for using uTorrent

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TylerD004

Occasional Visitor
Hi All,

I'm trying to figure out what OS I want my (yet to be purchased) NAS to be running. My one and only requirement is that it be able to run a uTorrent client so that it can download while my PC is off.

I currently have a DNS-323 running Transmission, but Transmission < uTorrent because it is slower (proven somewhere, I swear). The same torrents go 1/10th the speed on my DNS-323 w/ Transmission compared to my PC w/ uTorrent.

I have heard of people running uTorrent on Windows Home Server 2011 and on Windows Server 2008 R2.

I have also heard of people running uTorrent SERVER on Linux. Will uTorrent SERVER do what the client version does? If so, I supposed I need to add various Linux distros to the mix.

What do you guys suggest the best OS be for my new NAS if the main purpose is to download torrents using uTorrent and ONLY uTorrent?

Thanks a lot for you input!

What do you guys suggest the best OS be for my new NAS if the main purpose is to download torrents using uTorrent and ONLY uTorrent?
Thanks a lot for you input!
Suggestion: read about then use the on-line demos of the Synology and QNAP NASes. I assume their support of BT client is what you need (uTorrent being a subset as I read).

Suggestion: read about then use the on-line demos of the Synology and QNAP NASes. I assume their support of BT client is what you need (uTorrent being a subset as I read).

Thanks for the response.

I have done that and neither of those companies offer uTorrent out of the box. My understanding is that I need to install an OS that supports it, but I'm having difficulty getting info about which ones do, which ones do not, and which is the best for the purpose of using uTorrent.

Thanks for the response.

I have done that and neither of those companies offer uTorrent out of the box. My understanding is that I need to install an OS that supports it, but I'm having difficulty getting info about which ones do, which ones do not, and which is the best for the purpose of using uTorrent.

I'm no downloader, but I think uTorrent is a subset of BitTorrent and both clients would work properly with various BT servers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ΜTorrent

Not Quite

I'm no downloader, but I think uTorrent is a subset of BitTorrent and both clients would work properly with various BT servers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ΜTorrent

Thanks again for the response.

I don't want to be confusing. Although a company named BitTorrent, Inc. currently owns the piece software called uTorrent, there are also many other pieces of software with the name BitTorrent. Both, Synology and QNAP, have BitTorrent support out of the box, but neither run the piece of software called uTorrent out of the box. I am not interested in using any piece of software that isn't specifically named uTorrent.

I simply want a NAS that can run the software called uTorrent and run it well. Again, I'm not looking for NAS suggestions, but NAS OS suggestions. If anyone has any, it would be greatly appreciated.

I feel that there is no better forum community to query than this one on the topic as the relevant reviews and articles on this site are excellent.

Thanks again!

I simply want a NAS that can run the software called uTorrent and run it well. Again, I'm not looking for NAS suggestions, but NAS OS suggestions. If anyone has any, it would be greatly appreciated.

UTorrent runs on Windows or under Wine, the windows emulator. You will not find a consumer NAS that runs Utorrent.

There are numerous, and some say better alternatives to Utorrent. RTorrent with WTorrent, or RUTorrent. Deluge, which has a nice Thin Client / Server model. Transmission, which is a bit dated, but runs on pretty much anything, and is packaged with several Distros. And Vuze written in Java and supposedly portable.

Most major NAS vendors include a BT client, but are restricted to the OS that already runs on the NAS, which is in almost all cases Linux based. Hence no Utorrent. Additionally, most NAS builders certify apps that will run on there NASes, which means they package them.

If you must run UTorrent, a choice would be a NAS you built - running WHS.

The reason your request is a little confusing, is in the world of Consumer NASes, the NAS OS is not separate from the actual device. A NAS OS to most of us would be one of the free distros, FreeNAS, Nexenta, or OpenFiler (and a few other distros). Regretfully none of them run UTorrent (unless you are using Wine)

Last edited:
I don't think the OP ever got the concept that uTorrent and BT are for his purposes, functionally equivalent.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!