What's new

Best Practice When Importing CSV To YazDHCP?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vandriver

Occasional Visitor
Sorry for the daft question and if this is well documented, I can seem to find the answer?

I'm reseting my ac86u with merlin back to defaults and one by one adding the settings and custom scripts instead of using backup files.

When it comes to static ip's I am going to use a previously exported CSV file from YazDHCP.
I've never done this before, I always used to GUI lol.

Do I need to power down my entire network and then import the CSV to the main router?

Currently what I'm finding is all the devices are getting ip's before I even get to installing YazDHCP. Will that not just creat loads of incorrectly assigned ip's to most of my devices untill I reboot them anyway?

The csv can be imported at any time. Hit "Apply" then reboot the router afterwards. Don't worry about conflicts, they are usually negated and everything should (in my experience does) fall in line after the reboot.

The csv can be imported at any time. Reboot the router afterwards. Don't worry about conflicts, they are usually negated and everything should (in my experience does) fall in line after the reboot.
Don't forget to hit the "Apply" button after importing.
Great. Thanks a lot!

@vandriver - what I do when doing a reset/reconfigure is start with a different SSID. Do all my changes including importing the csv file then reboot once then set the SSID correctly.
Keeps all your clients at bay as you setup

I'm reseting my ac86u with merlin back to defaults and one by one adding the settings and custom scripts instead of using backup files.

When it comes to static ip's I am going to use a previously exported CSV file from YazDHCP.
I've never done this before, I always used to GUI lol.

Do I need to power down my entire network and then import the CSV to the main router?
Generally what I've done (several times now) is after doing a hard factory reset, with only one single PC (use for the setup of the router) connected to the router, I install the YazDHCP script immediately after the initial router setup screen then import the previously saved CSV file. Then hit the Apply button at the bottom of the page. Then proceed to make the rest of the configuration changes I need to in the router GUI, then when finished do a router reboot. Only then do I start connecting all of the rest of the network clients to the LAN/WIFi.

As indicated above the CSV can be imported at any time, but if you have LAN/WiFi clients already connected you may have to power cycle both the router AND the LAN/WiFi clients to ensure the imported manual IP reservations are used.

Thanks again everyone, all makes perfect sense, and sound advice as always.

Going to chance it here lol

The CSV file I have has lost all the client names, all I have is the MAC's and IP's, so currently thinking it may just be better to work with the connections I have today rather that load the old statics IP CSV.

Does anyone know if its possible to set all the current DHCP leases as Statics via SSH to save all the admin work?

I can get the DHCP leases and save them to a txt file using cat /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases > /tmp/temp.txt

but obviously nvram set dhcp_staticlist="$(cat /tmp/temp.txt)" results in a segmentation fault as the info from leases is not in the correct format for set dhcp_staticlist.

I ended up manually editing the DHCP leases txt file, saving it as a CSV file and then and imported it to YazDHCP.

I now have 176 statics and next job is to assign hostnames to them.

I have added one hostname to one device as a test, restarted that device and rebooted the router but when I try nslookup mydevice I get nslookup: can't resolve 'mydevice' or ping mydevice I get ping: bad address 'mydevice'.

Just spent the last hour looking at various threads and comparing my router settings and it all looks good?

What am I missing? Everything says it normally works out the box lol

ping RT-AC86U-1348.home.lan works

Last edited:
nslookup mydevice
Server: 185.228.168.10
Address 1: 185.228.168.10 adult-filter-dns.cleanbrowsing.org

nslookup: can't resolve 'mydevice'

I guess it means my router isn't setup correctly for this after all?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!