What's new

YazDHCP Saving DHCP List

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheLyppardMan

Very Senior Member
I'm tempted to use YazDHCP. I have set up all the devices on my network with manually-assigned IP's. If I want to export them to keep, in case I have to perform a factory reset on my router, do I just install YazDHCP from amtm and then choose an option to export my list of devices? Also, does it also save the names given to the devices, together with the icons? When restoring, would I have to set up amtm and scripts from scratch on my USB flash drive and then use the file I had exported to restore all the DHCP manual-assigned devices back to how they were before the factory reset?

I find this script pretty good for backing up DHCP settings.

Could run that before trying Yaz, from memory (i might be wrong) Yaz keeps all the original settings, I've not used it for a while though.

I'm tempted to use YazDHCP. I have set up all the devices on my network with manually-assigned IP's. If I want to export them to keep, in case I have to perform a factory reset on my router, do I just install YazDHCP from amtm and then choose an option to export my list of devices? Also, does it also save the names given to the devices, together with the icons? When restoring, would I have to set up amtm and scripts from scratch on my USB flash drive and then use the file I had exported to restore all the DHCP manual-assigned devices back to how they were before the factory reset?
If you haven't read through the big YazDHCP thread you should do so. Many questions are answered there.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/yazdhcp-feature-expansion-of-dhcp-assignments-increasing-limit-on-the-number-of-dhcp-reservations.69247/
Also see the YazDHCP GitHub page if you haven't already:
https://github.com/jackyaz/YazDHCP

You don't need to use amtm if one doesn't want to, there is a manual install method for most scripts amtm can install. Amtm makes certain things easier.

Yes you will have to reinstall YazDHCP if you factory/hard reset the router and need to import the previously exported DHCP client list. What is generally exported is: MAC, IP, HOSTNAME, DNS. AFAIK icons (custom or otherwise) are not exported. Yes custom host names are exported. Rmerlin has indicated elsewhere certain newer Asus routers store the DHCP clients in a file rather than NVRAM, in those cases one may not need to use YazDHCP. Note: if one creates static/reserved IP addresses for YazFi clients, those addresses are not exported by YazDHCP.

Example of how YazDHCP looks in the GUI:
yazdhcp.jpg

Last edited:
I've just installed YazDHCP and exported the data, but it's only exported the MAC and IP address info. Does that mean it won't work with my router?
Screenshot - 18_08_2022 , 18_22_13.jpg

I've just installed YazDHCP and exported the data, but it's only exported the MAC and IP address info. Does that mean it won't work with my router?
Have you created or input Hostnames in the manually assigned IP addresses list? Searching through the main YazDHCP thread (link above) doesn't seem to indicate anyone with an AX88U having a similar issue. Also look at the CSV file in a text editor as a troubleshooting step to ensure what ever other application you used to view the CSV file isn't hiding text or introducing issues. Even without the host names one could still import the list back into a factory reset router (that has YazDHCP installed) to repopulate the static/reserved IP addresses.

Last edited:
Have you created or input host names in the manually assigned IP addresses list? Searching through the main YazDHCP thread (link above) doesn't seem to indicate anyone with an AX88U having a similar issue. Also look at the CSV file in a text editor as a troubleshooting step to ensure what ever other application you used to view the CSV file isn't hiding text or introducing issues. Even without the host names one could still import the list back into a factory reset router (that has YazDHCP installed) to repopulate the static/reserved IP addresses.
I've found the answer (I think). The host fields are all blank (because I have never had the need to put any info in there). That being the case, it looks like YazDHCP is not what I was looking for.
Screenshot - 18_08_2022 , 18_49_47.jpg

I've found the answer (I think). The host fields are all blank (because I have never had the need to put any info in there). That being the case, it looks like YazDHCP is not what I was looking for.
View attachment 43645
Why not? Enter hotname once, save/export it, and you're good to go until you make changes.

1. The icons are stored in jffs/usericons as separate files identified by MAC. They wouldn't export well but would be saved if you backed up /jffs; then you could copy the files back and voila.
2. I enter the hostnames because the device names otherwise can be peculiar. Also, as long as you don't have spaces you can ping devices by hostname but not client name.
3. I remember reading the instructions when I installed it but that was a long time ago. I might read them again as a refresher.

Last edited:
That being the case, it looks like YazDHCP is not what I was looking for.
How is it not what your looking for? It exports the static/reserved DHCP list and and imports the list. I could be wrong but I think the Asus firmware is generating the client name (left hand column) based on the response it receives from the client when the client requests an IP address. The Hostname is a manual name one can give if they desire (to clearly identify the client). In any event, while tedious, its a one time process to take a few minutes and manually edit each entry to add a Hostname for each client. Once done and applied, export and save the list using YazDHCP.

Edit to add; Here is an example why I enter Hostnames to identify the client. If I didn't I'd have to remember the device IP address or take a guess based on the generic name the router received from the client.
ClientNameExample.jpg

Last edited:
How is it not what your looking for? It exports the static/reserved DHCP list and and imports the list. I could be wrong but I think the Asus firmware is generating the client name (left hand column) based on the response it receives from the client when the client requests an IP address. The Hostname is a manual name one can give if they desire (to clearly identify the client). In any event, while tedious, its a one time process to take a few minutes and manually edit each entry to add a Hostname for each client. Once done and applied, export and save the list using YazDHCP.

Edit to add; Here is an example why I enter Hostnames to identify the client. If I didn't I'd have to remember the device IP address or take a guess based on the generic name the router received from the client.
View attachment 43646
Can't you just edit the client name to fix that rather than the host name ?

I did have Yaz, but for me it's only really relevant if you have over 64 manually assigned clients so I removed it, as I tend to go for the less is more install where I can. I'm only up to 48 clients so a way to go yet.

Last edited:
I think it reverts back, maybe when the lease is renewed.

Don't remember why but there was a reason why I ended up going with "hostname" rather than editing the "name" field in the popup window where one can edit the "name" field. I think it was due to moving from one router's DHCP server to another, found it easier to just use hostname rather than the Asus name field when assigning static IP addresses. (Edit to add: or it may have been due to dnsmasq and the dhcp-host entry that includes the hostname for setting static IP addresses and overriding client supplied hostnames.) One can do either if they wish. In any case, with YazDHCP it will export the hostname field not the name field used by the router.

Last edited:
I think it reverts back, maybe when the lease is renewed.
It doesn't revert back on renewal. I've had the same ones for years. I change all the icons as well.

I add the Client Names manually, rather than just accept the default values that appear when a new device connects to my network. I prefer the Client Name over Host Name because I can use characters and spaces not allowed in the Host Name field and also, the host names don't appear in the network list and probably a few other places too. So my current method is to manually re-add the client names after a factory reset, using the data stored by "Who's On My Wi-Fi", which despite its name, also detects wired network clients (see screenshot).

Attachments

• Screenshot - 19_08_2022 , 11_06_59.jpg
    Screenshot - 19_08_2022 , 11_06_59.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 91
Why don't you just backup custom_clientlist and dhcp_staticlist, either via nvram get or by directly copying the files from /jffs/nvram?

The user icons are stored in the /jffs/usericon directory.

Last edited:
Why don't you just backup custom_clientlist and dhcp_staticlist, either via nvram get or by directly copying the files from /jffs/nvram?

The user icons are stored in the /jffs/usericon directory.
Oh, I didn't realise I could just copy files from NVRAM for future use. Would I simply just copy them back in after a factory reset? Also, are there any other files in NVRAM that I should use for backup/restore and finally, what does "nvram get" actually do, what is the procedure for using it and does that mean I don't have to bother putting anything in the Host Name field (although I did actually do that before seeing your reply).

Attachments

• Screenshot - 19_08_2022 , 12_09_30.jpg
    Screenshot - 19_08_2022 , 12_09_30.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 89

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!