What's new

Best router for experimenting with Merlin FW?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

htismaqe

Very Senior Member
I have a Netgear R7800 in production right now, running Voxel's FW. It works great but I forgot how stripped the NG firmware is and I'm wanting to experiment with Merlin to see if it fits my needs better.

Here are my requirements:

1) Feature and performance parity with R7800 as best as possible (realizing the R7800 is a workhorse).
2) Don't need 8 or 10 ethernet ports. I only actually use 1 on the router itself.
3) Don't need a whole bunch of USB ports.
4) Don't need AX or AD or anything other than AC.
5) Not necessarily worried about future-proofing.

Basically, I want something that CAN replace the R7800 if I decide I love the FW and UI.

I've narrowed it down to the RT-AC86U and the RT-AC5300. I like the fact the AC86U is a bit newer but it's vertical mount might be a problem fitting below my ceiling (I have my router on a tall shelf in the center of the house). I keep vacillating on the AC5300. I'd love to have the additional 5Ghz band but don't really need it and it's quite a bit more expensive than the AC86U while being quite a bit older.

Just looking for suggestions. Thanks in advance.

I have a Netgear R7800 in production right now, running Voxel's FW. It works great but I forgot how stripped the NG firmware is and I'm wanting to experiment with Merlin to see if it fits my needs better.

Here are my requirements:

1) Feature and performance parity with R7800 as best as possible (realizing the R7800 is a workhorse).
2) Don't need 8 or 10 ethernet ports. I only actually use 1 on the router itself.
3) Don't need a whole bunch of USB ports.
4) Don't need AX or AD or anything other than AC.
5) Not necessarily worried about future-proofing.

Basically, I want something that CAN replace the R7800 if I decide I love the FW and UI.

I've narrowed it down to the RT-AC86U and the RT-AC5300. I like the fact the AC86U is a bit newer but it's vertical mount might be a problem fitting below my ceiling (I have my router on a tall shelf in the center of the house). I keep vacillating on the AC5300. I'd love to have the additional 5Ghz band but don't really need it and it's quite a bit more expensive than the AC86U while being quite a bit older.

Just looking for suggestions. Thanks in advance.
I'd vote for the 86u but as you can see from my signature (I have two) that I might be biased. ;)

I'll have to take a measurement and see if it will even fit in my situation.

I have just about 10" between the shelf and the ceiling. The tops of the R7800 antennas are about 1" from the ceiling.

I have just about 10" between the shelf and the ceiling. The tops of the R7800 antennas are about 1" from the ceiling.
That’s got to be one of the most original limiting factors ;). I know nothing of that Netgear router or its specs, but can I suggest that, if the RT-AC68U doesn’t fall too far short of those specs, you give it consideration? If you want to experiment with Merlin’s firmware and want a rock solid router to do it on (and not be wondering about any vagaries of the router itself), I believe this router would be most worthy of consideration. But should its specs not meet your needs, that’d be a shame.

Thanks guys. I think for the money, I'll give the AC86U a shot. It's $100 cheaper than the 5300.

Last edited:
I just measured my RT-AC86U. With the aerials vertical, it's 12.5 inches tall.

If the aerials are angled to slightly "flatter" than 45°, it would just fit into a 10 inch vertical space.

If the shelf in question is free standing, would it be possible to screw another piece of wood underneath, which protrudes more from the wall ? That would give you a bit more vertical space between the new shelf and the ceiling.

When I replaced my "lie flat" RT-AC66U with a "stand up" RT-AC86U, I hesitated for a while before buying it for similar reasons. A bit of creative woodwork solved the problem, but fortunately it's in a cupboard so aesthetics were not such an issue.

If you want to step up the processor speed the AC1900P takes you from 1 Ghz to 1.4Ghz. I'm not sure where you can find a new one as this was model originally made for Best Buy however you can get a refurbished unit for $89.99 on Amazon. As this router was an extension of the AC68 product line it is very reliable based on my experience.

Guys, @htismaqe is asking about the RT-AC86U.

The suggestions made I think are based on his likely mistyped 'RT-AC68' in post 6 above. :)

True. However, I would also like to replace my R7800 if the testing goes well. The 66U is sizable step down from the R7800. I do appreciate the suggestion, though.

True. However, I would also like to replace my R7800 if the testing goes well. The 66U is sizable step down from the R7800. I do appreciate the suggestion, though.

Might consider keeping the R7800, and running it in AP mode - the QCA radios are quite good on that device.

Might consider keeping the R7800, and running it in AP mode - the QCA radios are quite good on that device.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. It's a great piece of hardware but firmware support just isn't great. Voxel's is the closest thing to good and even then, it's built on Netgear FW which is just awful.

I did DD-WRT for a few years, first on the WRT1900AC and then on the R7800. I actually bought the R7800 because Kong abandoned the WRT1900AC. Recently, he's decided to forego DD-WRT altogether in favor of OpenWRT. I want to go back to something that's more tightly coupled with the hardware. Brainslayer's builds, especially for non-Broadcom routers, leave a lot to be desired.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!