What's new

Best settings for VPN client on router with AdGuard + Unbound

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jata

Hi all,

I occasionally want to use a VPN service (NordVPN) to route my AppleTV through the VPN client so I can access UK TV - usually BBC iPlayer.

The issue is iPlayer on my ATV knows that i'm not in UK even when I have VPN on. I think that it might be related to how I have my DNS / Adguard / unbound setup on the router.

I have the basic setup as follows:

1. NordVPN client configured and working on the router as Open VPN Client 1 using a config file from nordVPN (setup to a UK UDP server)
2. for VPN client settings i have Set DNS to exclusive and routed via VPN director
3. In VPN director i have only one rule - to route the ATV through VPN client 1
4. I do not use DNS Director/filter at all
5. DNS settings for the ATV are from the DHCP server and set to use a network device (raspberry pi) running adguard / unbound

So I thought that when I start VPN client 1 then the ATV will routed via this VPN tunnel and I should be able to access BBC iplayer but i get the 'not in UK' message.

I had VPN all working a few months ago but that was before 388 FW and also me setting up adguard/unbound on my network.

Any tip or ideas as to how to troubleshoot and work this through? I have no idea where/what to start to test/check resolve.

Thanks in advance.

Try changing the Nord VPN server, it is possible that BBC player has blacklisted the server that you were using...

Nord VPN also sells a dedicated IP, less chance to get blacklisted...

See if it works....

I also use, Diversion+Unbound (installed in the router) +Nord VPN, and i don't have issues... From your setup, the only difference with me, is that i have DNS Director activated to Router Mode (Global Redirection)...

Thanks. Good to know it should work. I will try a few other config files that use different ips and see if I can get it working.

thsnks again.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!