What's new

Best setup for a wifi extender

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jsn2233

Occasional Visitor
I use an RT-AC86U and don't get good signal at the other end of my house. What is a good option for extending the signal?

I have read that buying a cheap asus router and using it as a node would do the job. I have VPNs and specific settings that I would like to maintain on my network, is this possible when using a node?

Sorry if my questions are dumb I am not very good with networking.

You can use a purpose-built extender or mess with AiMesh. But either way, don't place the new node in the room where the signal is weak. Put it somewhere around mid-way between the two points. The extender or mesh node needs a decent signal to maintain enough bandwidth to pass on.

You can use a purpose-built extender or mess with AiMesh. But either way, don't place the new node in the room where the signal is weak. Put it somewhere around mid-way between the two points. The extender or mesh node needs a decent signal to maintain enough bandwidth to pass on.

My main concern is does this change any of the configuration when the extender middlemans the network? Or will all my configuration persist?

What would you personally suggest out of those two and which would be more cost effective? Thanks

Your router maintains the VPN and network settings. An extender just transparently bridges the LAN connection. It would no more change your network settings than plugging a switch into your router and plugging in other devices.

Extenders can be a little fidgety to set up, but it's what I've used in situations similar to yours.

Last edited:
Why not merely relocate the router more centrally? The question makes it seem as though the router is at one end of the house, with poor performance at the /other end/.

I have VPNs and specific settings that I would like to maintain on my network, is this possible when using a node?

It depends on what the specific settings are. YazFi settings for example don't extend to AiMesh nodes.

My main concern is does this change any of the configuration when the extender middlemans the network? Or will all my configuration persist?
It depends on the extender, its settings and how it's configured/setup. Generally it should just pass through the traffic, but it may depend on the specific extender's settings. You may want to consider relocating the router first, if you can, before throwing money at an extender. If possible place the router in the center of the house on middle or upper floors (not in basement). Make sure to angle/orient the antennas on the router (if any) properly per the router's user manual.

It depends on what the specific settings are. YazFi settings for example don't extend to AiMesh nodes.
Interesting. I want to maintain that config with yazfi, surely they can be maintained in some type of setup?

It depends on the extender, its settings and how it's configured/setup. Generally it should just pass through the traffic, but it may depend on the specific extender's settings. You may want to consider relocating the router first, if you can, before throwing money at an extender. If possible place the router in the center of the house on middle or upper floors (not in basement). Make sure to angle/orient the antennas on the router (if any) properly per the router's user manual.
My router is located on the other end of the house because it has to be connected to my Raspberry pi and my whole office setup. I have 4 ethernet cables connecting to consoles and other devices located nearby also. There's no way I could just ditch that whole setup.
Your router maintains the VPN and network settings. An extender just transparently bridges the LAN connection. It would no more change your network settings than plugging a switch into your router and plugging in other devices.

Extenders can be a little fidgety to set up, but it's what I've used in situations similar to yours.
Any extenders that anybody would suggest that go great with Asus and merlin config? Thanks

There's no way I could just ditch that whole setup.
One option is to get a network switch, place that in your home office where the router currently is. Then move the router to a more centralized location and run a single ethernet wire to that network switch. Just a though if it hasn't been considered already.

One option is to get a network switch, place that in your home office where the router currently is. Then move the router to a more centralized location and run a single ethernet wire to that network switch. Just a though if it hasn't been considered already.
Honestly I hate to be awkward but if you saw my house you would realise it's impossible to set it up that way. There's a long hall way to the area that gets no signal and inbetween I'd literally have to put the router on the floor just for it to be inbetween both areas.

I want to maintain that config with yazfi

Extender - repeats single SSID/band of your router, any brand.
AiMesh - Asus devices only (routers and extenders) and AiMesh compatible.

YazFi works on the main router only, no AiMesh support.

You have decide what will work better for your needs.

Honestly I hate to be awkward but if you saw my house you would realise it's impossible to set it up that way. There's a long hall way to the area that gets no signal and inbetween I'd literally have to put the router on the floor just for it to be inbetween both areas.
Is there living space, or attic, above that hallway? If attic, your solution is simple and easy. Also easy if unfinished basement or crawlspace below.

You’ve considered the pros and cons of a powerline network adapter eg TP-Link, assuming the start and end are on the same mains circuit?

Is there living space, or attic, above that hallway? If attic, your solution is simple and easy. Also easy if unfinished basement or crawlspace below.
Nothing man it's a very small house unfortunately.

You’ve considered the pros and cons of a powerline network adapter eg TP-Link, assuming the start and end are on the same mains circuit?
Sorry man I don't know what that is but I will look into it
Extender - repeats single SSID/band of your router, any brand.
AiMesh - Asus devices only (routers and extenders) and AiMesh compatible.

YazFi works on the main router only, no AiMesh support.

You have decide what will work better for your needs.
I think an Extender will be best for me atm then. I know you say any brand but any that you would suggest for Asus router? Thanks

I think an Extender will be best for me atm then. I know you say any brand but any that you would suggest for Asus router? Thanks
Generally any extender from a major brand (Asus, TP-Link, Linksys, Netgear, etc.) should work as they're all pretty much performing the same function. Only recent experience I have with WiFi extenders was playing with a Linksys RE6300/RE6400 (a family member no longer needed) for a period of time last year. No issues getting it connected to a RT-AX86U Pro. Note I didn't use the WPS setup mode on the extender since I have WPS mode disabled on the Asus router. But as already indicated by others, when using an extender you place it close enough to the router to receive a strong WiFi signal from the router. You don't place it far away where the router WiFi signal is weak.

Awesome thanks for that. I've been researching and found this

1705943503657.png

Is this only for asus routers in repeater mode? I would assume I connect the router to the repeater in some way and it extends the signal. How do you connect it? Do you connect it in the repeater's settings somehow?

The clients connect wirelessly or wired to a LAN port. Like any other brand repeater works. The throughput to wireless clients is cut in half due to retransmission.

You set it up before using. It will ask for parent SSID and Password.

The throughput is only halved when using wireless backhaul.

The signal you extend is the one you connect to (on the main router).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!