What's new

Best setup for the Asus RT-AC68U (ACTUALIZED to 2019)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dlandiss is correct, there is no one ultimate setup. However, there is still a 'best practices' method that is a good starting point for all further configurations.

Look at the links in my signature for more in-depth information, but for an overview, the following is what will get you going in the right direction.
  1. Whether you will use RMerlin's firmware or not, flash the version of the firmware you will use and then proceed to do a full reset of the router, even if you haven't previously used it at all (i.e it is 'brand new, out of the box').
  2. When resetting to factory defaults with the GUI, make sure to tick the box that says 'initialize settings...' that is right beside it.
  3. If that checkbox is not available in your firmware version, then after doing a factory reset via the GUI;
  4. Also, perform the 'format jffs partition on next boot' and proceed to reboot the router 3 times in the next 15 minutes or so (with 5 to 10 minutes between reboots to allow the router to configure itself as needed).
  5. Now, we can manually and minimally configure the router to secure it and connect to our ISP. This means that we do not use a saved configuration file to 'restore' any previous settings.
  6. This also means that we accept the defaults for most settings too, especially if using an RMerlin firmware, or we have any doubt as to what the consequences might be.

With the above completed (it is less than 1/2 hour of 'work'), we will change the following defaults:
  1. Disable Universal/Implicit Beamforming on both bands in the Wireless/Professional pages.
  2. Disable Airtime Fairness on both bands in the Wireless/Professional pages.
  3. Disable MU-MIMO on both bands in the Wireless/Professional pages.
  4. Set Preamble type to Short on the 2.4GHz band in the Wireless/Professional pages.
  5. Set the Time Zone and DST Time Zone changes settings for our locale.
  6. Change the Memory Management: Regularly flush caches (default: Yes), to No (RMerlin Tools/Other Settings page).
  7. Change the Control Channels for both bands away from 'Auto' after testing which Control channel works best (2.4GHz use 1, 6 or 11 'only').
  8. With a new router or a fully reset one such as the above steps outline, I recommend a new SSID for each band too.
  9. Or, alternately, 'forget' the network on each client device that will be used in this network and then re-associate them. Some clients may need to have a 'reset networks' command and reboot too with this method. It is much easier to just use a new SSID.
With the above completed, you will have the fastest, most stable and most reliable network possible.

Of course, we can do much more with our Asus + RMerlin powered routers. Once the above is proven to be stable in your network, the additional features such as AiProtection, Parental Controls, etc. can be added as needed.

Don't forget the most powerful features of these routers: the excellent scripts available for them. My signature below contains some of the most popular ones I am currently using. For the additional 'cost' of a spare USB drive.

Hope this is enough to get you started. :)

Hello, thank you so much for the guide.

With this setting:

• Disable Universal/Implicit Beamforming on both bands in the Wireless/Professional pages.

On my AC86U I have universal and implicit for 2.4 but on 5g implicit is replaced with 802.11ac Beamforming

Should that be off?

Thanks in advance.

802.11ac Beamforming is 'implicit'. I would test with it off with your clients and after you have a good baseline (a day or two of actual use) switch it on and reboot the router and compare the next two days or so with the previous testing.

Just to reiterate @L&LD points about MU-MIMO and Beamforming. While it all sounds amazing in theory, in practice unless you have only perfectly capable devices on your WiFi, you’re basically creating less stable and more unpredictable signal coverage for all clients at once and benefits in very rare cases are small, if even there.

To illustrate the point
- 4 bedroom / 2 storey house with brick outside walls and wooden/plasterboard inner walls, roughly a cube 10x10x10m
- Router at roughly central point downstairs
- About 30 devices, mix of all sorts a,b,g,n,ac 2.4/5GHz, from 15 yo devices to latest mobile/desktop stuff and IoT.

MU-MIMO and Beamforming OFF:
- Signal with great SNR and RSSI values in all corners of the house and outside in the vicinity, even at 5GHz.
- Rock solid, non fluctuating signal, no random disconnects
- Signal picked up instantly when coming home
- 4Mbps GAIN in download speed, 2Mbps GAIN in upload speed, measurable even by spdMerlin on WAN port, not just WiFi clients.

MU-MIMO and Beamforming ON:
- Very fluctuating signal, sometimes much better in far corners (beamforming in action), then suddenly randomly declines and/or disconnects
- Sometimes unable to connect, or takes way too long
- Internet Speed performance penalty
- Router performance penalty

My 2p - not worth it.

Last edited:
dlandiss is correct, there is no one ultimate setup. However, there is still a 'best practices' method that is a good starting point for all further configurations.

Look at the links in my signature for more in-depth information, but for an overview, the following is what will get you going in the right direction.
  1. Whether you will use RMerlin's firmware or not, flash the version of the firmware you will use and then proceed to do a full reset of the router, even if you haven't previously used it at all (i.e it is 'brand new, out of the box').
  2. When resetting to factory defaults with the GUI, make sure to tick the box that says 'initialize settings...' that is right beside it.
  3. If that checkbox is not available in your firmware version, then after doing a factory reset via the GUI;
  4. Also, perform the 'format jffs partition on next boot' and proceed to reboot the router 3 times in the next 15 minutes or so (with 5 to 10 minutes between reboots to allow the router to configure itself as needed).
  5. Now, we can manually and minimally configure the router to secure it and connect to our ISP. This means that we do not use a saved configuration file to 'restore' any previous settings.
  6. This also means that we accept the defaults for most settings too, especially if using an RMerlin firmware, or we have any doubt as to what the consequences might be.

With the above completed (it is less than 1/2 hour of 'work'), we will change the following defaults:
  1. Disable Universal/Implicit Beamforming on both bands in the Wireless/Professional pages.
  4. Set Preamble type to Short on the 2.4GHz band in the Wireless/Professional pages.
  6. Change the Memory Management: Regularly flush caches (default: Yes), to No (RMerlin Tools/Other Settings page).
  7. Change the Control Channels for both bands away from 'Auto' after testing which Control channel works best (2.4GHz use 1, 6 or 11 'only').
  8. With a new router or a fully reset one such as the above steps outline, I recommend a new SSID for each band too.
  9. Or, alternately, 'forget' the network on each client device that will be used in this network and then re-associate them. Some clients may need to have a 'reset networks' command and reboot too with this method. It is much easier to just use a new SSID.
With the above completed, you will have the fastest, most stable and most reliable network possible.

Of course, we can do much more with our Asus + RMerlin powered routers. Once the above is proven to be stable in your network, the additional features such as AiProtection, Parental Controls, etc. can be added as needed.

Don't forget the most powerful features of these routers: the excellent scripts available for them. My signature below contains some of the most popular ones I am currently using. For the additional 'cost' of a spare USB drive.

I am using a ASUS RT-AC86U and have a question on the best practices.

"1. Disable Universal/Implicit Beamforming on both bands in the Wireless/Professional pages"

In my settings, I have the following two seperate options for 2.4Ghz >> Explicit Beamforming and Universal Beamforming. Is Explicit Beamforming different than Implicit Beamforming? Should Explicit Beamforming be disabled as a best practice?
I have the following two seperate options for 5Ghz >> 802.11ac Beamforming and Universal Beamforming. Is 802.11ac Beamforming different than Implicit Beamforming? Should 802.11ac Beamforming be disabled as a best practice?

Thanks in advance or your recommendation!

Hi,
I have the same modem but I use lan cable. Is this guide for wireless connection only? Best setting for FTTH lan connection?

While there are many wireless suggestions, the overall guide works great for LAN connections too.

1. Disabilitare il Beamforming universale/implicito su entrambe le bande nelle pagine Wireless/Professional.
  2. Disattiva Airtime Fairness su entrambe le bande nelle pagine Wireless/Professional.
  3. Disabilitare MU-MIMO su entrambe le bande nelle pagine Wireless/Professional.
  4. Imposta Tipo di preambolo su Corto sulla banda a 2,4 GHz nelle pagine Wireless/Professionale.
  5. Imposta il fuso orario e il fuso orario dell'ora legale cambia le impostazioni per la nostra locale.
  6. Modificare la gestione della memoria: svuotare regolarmente le cache (impostazione predefinita: Sì), su No (pagina Strumenti RMerlin/Altre impostazioni).
  7. Cambia i canali di controllo per entrambe le bande lontano da "Auto" dopo aver testato quale canale di controllo funziona meglio (2,4 GHz usa 1, 6 o 11 "solo").
  8. Con un nuovo router o uno completamente ripristinato come nei passaggi precedenti, consiglio anche un nuovo SSID per ciascuna banda.
  9. Oppure, in alternativa, "dimentica" la rete su ciascun dispositivo client che verrà utilizzata in questa rete e quindi riassociali. Alcuni client hanno bisogno di un comando "reimposta reti" e riavviare anche con questo metodo. È molto più semplice usare solo un nuovo SSID.
Non riesco a trovare l'opzione 6.
allego immagine
Cattura.PNG

Last edited:
I could have just agreed with the answers above, but here is my answer a little more in-depth for you.

Probably not the technical answers you're looking for, but they are my best understanding and within my ability to communicate back to you. :)
  1. Gives the router or the client an opportunity to make the wrong choice on the split-second decisions on how they will communicate. Disabling ensures this isn't given a chance to happen.
  2. Same as 1.
  3. Same as 1.
  4. Gives quicker connections initially, if dropped, re-connects quicker.
  5. Time is important to us all and for all computer and networks to function properly. ;)
  6. Allows the RAM to be fully utilized as it is needed. Rather than 'saved' for some potential work the router may need to do in the indeterminate future. Also, if the RAM is needed because the router begins a new process, it will flush the RAM then. ;)
  7. Auto is a source of misery for a wireless network, particularly when that network is heavily saturated with nearby networks that transmit/receive at random intervals. Choosing the Control channels for the router is taking away that decision making from it and also saves the router/clients from having to connect/re-associate as it 'randomly' decides a newer channel will be better in this 'microsecond'. Another reason is that Auto may well choose DFS channels that a client doesn't have and therefore seem 'invisible' to the client (i.e. the WiFi band will disappear for one or more clients).
  8. The reason a full M&M Config reset is done to even a brand new router using the same, as-shipped firmware is so that the firmware is using the NVRAM variables it expects and receives them in the correct format too (these may change between each firmware version). The same needs to be done on the client side too. A new SSID ensures that the wireless client will be set up with the values expected on the router side.
  9. It is always easier to use a new SSID than to reset each client's network. However, in some cases, in addition to all the above, a client-side network reset has proven to be necessary to get the most performance and stability out of a new network setup.
The above is just what has been shown to work for the majority of users. Blindly following the above advice is great to get a network running fast and stable if there are no other issues affecting it. But, don't forget; after setting up a router like this, feel free to change settings while keeping careful notes to see which settings work better for your specific network usage. These are not written in stone, there are simply too many network environments and usage patterns that they could be. ;)
Having followed these steps with my RT-AC68P, I cannot locate Memory Management anywhere; can someone please direct me? I'm also curious if the Merlin firmware has features that would improve speed or range. From what I understand its more focused on other features not available in stock. Thanks

I cannot locate Memory Management anywhere; can someone please direct me?
The option Memory Management: Regularly flush caches (default: Yes) is located on the Tools > Other Settings page under the Advanced Tweaks and Hacks section; if its available on your RT-AC68P.

Thanks..attached is a screen shot of the GUI..If you look on the left side you'll notice there's no Tools>Other Settings page which is why I posted the reply :)
If you are not running Asus-merlin firmware (the subject of this subforum) then there will be Asus merlin specific features and options discussed here that are not found in the stock Asus firmware.

If you are not running Asus-merlin firmware (the subject of this subforum) then there will be Asus merlin specific features and options discussed here that are not found in the stock Asus firmware.
So if I understand correctly, the memory manager is only with Merlin. Were I to have known that, I wouldn't have bothered with the question. I appreciate the response

Given that the wireless drivers and many other closed source blobs are not touched by RMerlin, and are therefore identical stock vs. RMerlin, doesn't mean that the WiFi and LAN experience Is identical stock vs. RMerlin.

Even if the performance is identical as it sometimes may be (which is, after all, just one aspect of a network), the RMerlin firmware offers better defaults, better security, and even more bug fixes than the equivalent stock firmware provides (and that's just the stuff that we know about). That is how the network experience is enhanced as a whole by RMerlin firmware, even over stock, even at defaults.

Choosing to ignore these obvious benefits is everyone's prerogative, of course. But this constantly repeated miscommunication (that if you're not using specific features that RMerlin firmware offers, then, stock firmware is better), is simply wrong.

The sum is greater than the parts. And the synergy is there no matter how (simple or complicated) the router is set up.

I don't use subjective "experience" assessment. Measured LAN and WLAN performance between Asuswrt and Asuswrt-Merlin is identical. If AiMesh is used, especially with mixed generation AC/AX routers, stock Asuswrt on all routers is more stable firmware option. This is the reason most folks run Asuswrt on the nodes and Asuswrt-Merlin or the router, if they need the extra features in Asuswrt-Merlin. An obvious compromise between features and stability.

Yes, you do not have any experience running Asus RMerlin powered routers in an actual home network environment.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!