What's new

Best small Merlin-compatible router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

demonbane

Occasional Visitor
What's the physically smallest router with good coverage and that can run asuswrt-merlin? I have an AC88U at home (soon to be replaced with an AX86U) which is still amazing, but very large. I'm looking for something that I can easily throw in a suitcase for family trips. It doesn't need to have any gaming features since it'll mostly be used for streaming video and will often be double-NATed on a spotty hotel connection. WiFi 6 would be nice but again, this is generally going to be backed by terrible hotel connections.

No small Asus models and no WISP mode in Asuswrt (Merlin).
This is what you are looking for, one of the popular travel routers:

The RT-AX56U is fairly compact compared to the 88s and runs Merlin, but as Tech9 says no WISP mode and not as compact as gl-inet products. I've seen them for a while but never tried one.

Mango for a hotel room, Beryl for an AirBnB.

..or the GL inet USB150. When inserted into a Windows or Linux computer it boots to Linux then registers itself to the host (your client’s) computer as a USB Ethernet device. Or tether it, use as a repeater. $20 at Amazon, until they see everyone clicking on it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!