What's new

Best way to extend 5ghz to my Garage???

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Boy_Narf

New Around Here
Hello Everyone,

Just moved into a new place which is much bigger than our previous house. I've been using an AC3100 since right around when they came out in Canada. It's working great for everything inside the house. 3/5 bars even at the furthest locations from the router. The issue is my garage. It's pretty close to the house, but signal drops to 1 bar/no connection as soon as I close the door. The best option would be too locate the router somewhere on the main floor, but both my gaming PC, and printer are hardwired in (don't have a way to run a cable between floors) and the internet service hookup is in the basement. So, I've been looking into access points/repeaters/extenders, things along those lines. I've got an old EA-N66, but it's junk and has never worked properly (just tried it and it wouldn't keep a stable connection). Curious if you folks have any recommendations on how to solve my dilemma? I have a Chromecast audio speaker out there, and also a treadmill. I usually like to watch YT vids while running, but I don't want to keep eating up my data plan.

***P.S. The router is currently set to 5ghz only. I know it has less distance, but for some reason no matter what channel I pick for my 2.4 band, by the time I get out to the garage it's only pulling 1-2 mbps. On 2.4, the CCA drops out frequently, as well as constant buffering with YT through my OP5. There must be some excessive interference in my area. I'm looking for the best way to extend my 5ghz signal.

Thanks,

Is there coax between the two buildings? Are you able to mount antenna on the outside of each building and run the wire inside?

you could also try powerline. just make sure you you can return it no charge
If you have rg6 coax you could use MOCA2

There are coax hookups in the garage yes. No I can't run any wires between the building.

To be clear the garage is 20bfeet from the back of the house. It's not at all that far.

I'll look I to the MOCA stuff. Thanks.

RG59 coax will only support MOCA 1.1 .
RG6 is needed for moca 2

have a look through the moca threads in the forum. If it is clean point to point, with no splitters it can be easy. Otherwise, if active or splitters, or cable co equipment it can get tricky without knowledge and some experience.

So the idea would be to get a set of coax to ethernet adapters, then put a wired AP in the garage?

Any simpler suggestions? I was thinking about perhaps picking up an Asus router for a mesh setup. Read they can be a bit flakey though.

Okay I just checked and the white coax is rated as RG6. I also have a bunch of black coax but it doesn't' seem to have a rating on the sleeve. I would assume it's the same considering it's run together. Any suggestions for affordable adapters and an AP?

Is the garage powered directly from the house or does it have a box of breakers with a wire to a rod in the ground ?

okay doesn't have to be that cheap hah. Will prob say I have around $200CAD for the whole setup if that's possible.

okay doesn't have to be that cheap hah. Will prob say I have around $200CAD for the whole setup if that's possible.

Find out what type the coax is going to the garage. It will be printed or embossed on the cable as RG-59 or RG-6. If the black cable is thinner than the white it is likely RG-59.
MOCA 1.1 will work on either. MOCA 2 will work on RG-6.

You will need either a wireless access point or a wireless router set up as an access point only if you will connect to the moca modem only by wireless. If you need additional wired connections, then get a cheap 5 port 100 mbit or gigabit switch and connect from the moca modem to the switch and from the switch to the AP and other devices.

Hopefully you have an easy ethernet connection to the moca modem inside the house. If you have to unplug coax from a splitter or amp, make sure you cap the open port with a 75 ohm termination cap to avoid issues on the rest of the active cable network.

In the old days when CAT5 was expensive I ran CAT5 cable to my neighbors house in that black plastic water pipe. I dug it in using a shovel just digging a cut and shoving in the flexible pipe in the cut. It worked for 5 years until we moved.

Do you windows facing the garage? I have a window in the back of my house where I have a Cisco WAP571 wireless unit in it so I have 5 GHz outside covering my picnic table area.