What's new

Best wireless-N router with upgradeable antennas

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mjw

Occasional Visitor
Please could you help by suggesting some recommended wireless routers? I am looking for a 802.11n router with the following features:
1) Upgradeable antennas
2) Excellent range
3) 4 Gigabit ethernet ports
4) Excellent routing performance
5) Excellent 2.4 GHz performance

A nice-to-have would be to also have simultaneous dual-band (2.4GHz and 5GHz).

I've looked through the top routers in the wireless performance charts and there are none that meet all these criteria. The biggest problem seems to be the lack of upgradeable antennae (perhaps they exist but just haven't been reviewed). I would like the upgradeable antennae since the router must cover a radius of about 300 feet.
I am upgrading from an old 802.11g router that I had to upgrade with a 15" antenna in order to get reasonable (but not great coverage) so I don't want to get stuck with a non-upgradeable router that might have worse coverage than the current router.

Last edited:
If you're going through walls, 2.4 GHz will give you better range. Also, there are some compromises in an antenna capable of operating at both frequencies. If your 2.4 GHz spectrum is not overly crowded at your location, you might get best range performance with 802.11n at 2.4 GHz and a high-gain antenna optimized for that frequency.

Increasing transmit power doesn't necessarily help increase range. The client also has to be able to be heard by the router. Higher gain antennas are more helpful to increase range than boosting transmit power.

I'd say that the "best" 11n routers, i.e., the ones with full MIMO (not marketing MIMO), would likely not have external antennas, esp. the dual-band ones.

So if you want better directional antennas for the sake of range, esp. if that's not omni-directional range, then an 11g with ext. antennas might be better.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!