What's new

Beta Beta Firmware ASUS RT-AC86U - Version 9.0.0.4.386.41994

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

no further guidance? would appreciate it as its mildly irritating the slow speed on loading web pages
Not exactly sure what guidance you want. CPU temp is not what you want. DNS? Speed loading pages?
If you are after filtered/malware protection for DNS maybe Quad9 is not the way for you to go as you are in the frozen hinterlands. But there is something that may work better than, or as good as, Quad9 or Cloudflare Secure...

Ta da! Canadian Shield! See: https://www.cira.ca/cybersecurity-services/canadian-shield

As you seem to be using the Asus Factory firmware just add the Canadian Shield DNS resolvers (also called servers) in the router WAN settings and IPV6 if you use it. You might want to set up your web browsers to use DoH. See the Canadian Shield Configuration Guide.

Hope that works for you!

Not exactly sure what guidance you want. CPU temp is not what you want. DNS? Speed loading pages?
If you are after filtered/malware protection for DNS maybe Quad9 is not the way for you to go as you are in the frozen hinterlands. But there is something that may work better than, or as good as, Quad9 or Cloudflare Secure...

Ta da! Canadian Shield! See: https://www.cira.ca/cybersecurity-services/canadian-shield

As you seem to be using the Asus Factory firmware just add the Canadian Shield DNS resolvers (also called servers) in the router WAN settings and IPV6 if you use it. You might want to set up your web browsers to use DoH. See the Canadian Shield Configuration Guide.

Hope that works for you!
Hi not bothered too much about the temp stuff but i was getting good speed and loading of pages with quad 9 prior to the download of 9004386 41994. So i am sad to move off of quad 9 but will take a look at your suggestion, cheers mate

Hi not bothered too much about the temp stuff but i was getting good speed and loading of pages with quad 9 prior to the download of 9004386 41994. So i am sad to move off of quad 9 but will take a look at your suggestion, cheers mate
oh and whats DoH?

oh and whats DoH?
DNS over HTTPS
Normal DNS connects via port 53 and the packets are not encrypted and thus not secure.
DoH connects over port 443 and the packets are encrypted. Most modern web browsers and mobile OSes can use DoH to provide a bit of security.
Can get into a long discussion on the merits or foibles of DoH but it is something you may want to look into.
I have worked with several DNS security measures and have gone back to using Cloudflare Secure. Good enough for me right now.

oh and here was me thinking I got some good advice prior? okay i wont go there but the canadian shield seems to be okay so far
Good advice, eh? DNS working well depends upon where you are, how your ISP redirects queries and what you expect. Traffic congestion also plays havoc with things these days (work at home!).

Good advice, eh? DNS working well depends upon where you are, how your ISP redirects queries and what you expect. Traffic congestion also plays havoc with things these days (work at home!).
no offence intended I just am trying to navigate the minefield that is router firmware and DNS. Everything was fine with quad 9 until i downloaded the firmware and then it slowed down. I do want to have some control over what and where i am directing my traffic but as i say its just very busy with information. Not many reviews on the Canadian shield either. I might try Cloudflare later this week and see what's what, i do appreciate the advice though :)

spotted a deal for a new (open box) RT Ac86u for $162 plus shipping so i pulled the trigger and this will compliment my 2 other 86U. Do i really need my 68u anymore?I might have some great coverage if i keep it eh? cheers

The only way I would use an RT-AC68U anymore is in Media Bridge mode. :)

Take as many Wi-Fi clients as possible off their direct connection to the wireless routers and treat them as a (single, wireless), wired connection instead. :)

Media Bridge Mode

The only way I would use an RT-AC68U anymore is in Media Bridge mode. :)

Take as many Wi-Fi clients as possible off their direct connection to the wireless routers and treat them as a (single, wireless), wired connection instead. :)

Media Bridge Mode
probably will reach out again to just ask how i go about doing that when the unit arrives Monday next week fyi :)

Anyone knows approximately when will this firmware, 9.0.0.4.386.41994, be out of beta phase as standard download...? Thanks

Sorry, not Asus.

I already gave you an option if you wanted a more recent firmware. :)

Is it worth jumping over to this now even though it's regarded as BETA?

Still running the last .384 release at the moment

Firmware 41994 beta is the only firmware I ever tried on my experimental repaired and modified AC86U unit and it's working perfectly fine with exception of some debug logs appearing in syslog without any performance related ill effects. I see Asus is re-releasing this beta as official firmware for other models and I expect same thing to happen to AC86U soon. The folks above are also using this firmware and I don't see any major complaints. Save your settings for 384 in case you need to go back and upgrade to 386. I would reset the router and set it up manually after the upgrade.

Haha.

I've updated just for you bbunge!

Only thing I have noticed is a drop in speed? Speedtest.net normally is 420/35 for me.

It's currently pulling 360-380/35. (I guess that it could have been this right before the update!? I never really thought of checking!) And it's a case of it being congested/Easter holidays/5PM

Will keep an eye on this.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!