What's new

Beta Beta Firmware ASUS RT-AC86U - Version 9.0.0.4.386.41994

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Did you start fresh with 386 firmware of you slapped it on top of few versions old 384?

I would reset the router to avoid needless troubleshooting in case something isn't right after the update.

I would reset the router to avoid needless troubleshooting in case something isn't right after the update.
Before I go resetting the router and having to set everything up again. I'll give it a day or so to see if it's an ISP issue. Let's start with the easy things first, before nuking it!

Edit: Disabled QOS and it seems to be resolved. (Think was enabled to give 'Priority' for Stadia. I also had the 'Game Device Prioritizing' enabled for the PS5 and Stadia too, but I don't think its even needed!)

426.89 Mbps
38.50 Mbps

Edit Two: Bandwidth Setting was set to manual. Setting this to auto and leaving Adaptive QOS on still gives the speeds mentioned above. (Will keep it enabled for the time being purely for the Stadia/PS5 Device Prioritizing)

Last edited:
I don't think you need prioritizing of devices with >400/30 ISP. QoS may eventually help in close to line saturation scenarios. You'll need to set the bandwidth manually at about 90-95% for QoS to work. Adaptive QoS is your only option with this router. Traditional, bandwidth limiter and Cake in Merlin are incompatible with hardware acceleration. In my tests this router can do about 320-ish Mbps with no hardware acceleration. It's still better than many other home routers, but below your ISP speeds.

I don't think you need prioritizing of devices with >400/30 ISP. QoS may eventually help in close to line saturation scenarios. You'll need to set the bandwidth manually at about 90-95% for QoS to work. Adaptive QoS is your only option with this router. Traditional, bandwidth limiter and Cake in Merlin are incompatible with hardware acceleration. In my tests this router can do about 320-ish Mbps with no hardware acceleration. It's still better than many other home routers, but below your ISP speeds.
You're probably right. I'll keep an eye on things and maybe look at disabling Adaptive QOS in the near future.

Nice stability with this fw. Both bands work stable.
1617110813661.png

You're probably right. I'll keep an eye on things and maybe look at disabling Adaptive QOS in the near future.
I have the same thing going from official to beta release and noticed quite a speed drop. Chatted with a few folks and the speed is fine really but the patch to fix the bug security issues made me stick with the beta release.

I have the same thing going from official to beta release and noticed quite a speed drop. Chatted with a few folks and the speed is fine really but the patch to fix the bug security issues made me stick with the beta release.
Speed is fine for me now. Back to what it normally is

So, just a little heads up, running the new beta firmware 41994 and a Pihole running on the system will totally kill internet connections. For whatever reason if the Pihole is set up as the DNS server the new firmware doesn't allow for the router to connect to the internet. It took me a full day to figure out that it was a firmware issue and not a Pihole issue. I reverted to the older firmware and the issue went away.

@andino, read here:

So, just a little heads up, running the new beta firmware 41994 and a Pihole running on the system will totally kill internet connections. For whatever reason if the Pihole is set up as the DNS server the new firmware doesn't allow for the router to connect to the internet. It took me a full day to figure out that it was a firmware issue and not a Pihole issue. I reverted to the older firmware and the issue went away.
You need to have an upstream DNS server in WAN/DNS Server 1 and 2. The Pi-Hole IP goes in LAN/DHCP/DNS Server. AS an alternative you can manually assign IP addresses for each client with the Pi-Hole IP address as an (optional) DNS Server. The first and correct method will result in the client getting the Pi-Hole address for 1st DNS and the router address for the 2nd DNS.

Please use the current Asus firmware to mitigate security and performance issues in older firmware. It is really more important than blocking adds. Besides you can set the WAN/DNS Servers to AdGuard or Cloudflare Family (1.1.1.3 & 1.0.0.3).

41994 is no longer current firmware. 3.0.0.4.386_42643 is the latest version for the RT-AC86U, released April 28th.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!