1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Better Openvpn speed than Asus RT-ac88u

Discussion in 'VPN' started by Gisburne, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Gisburne

Gisburne New Around Here

I'm currently use a Asus RT-ac88u router with AsusMerlin firmware.
    But I'm dissatisfied with the speed when I use Openvpn

My dream would be a router who can handle 250-500 Mbit/s when VPN
    I really like to use AsusMerlin.

Can you recommend any Asus router who can handle that or any other router
    from another manufacturer?

2. Marin

Marin Senior Member

3. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

None. For that kind of speed, you need something like an i3 CPU or better.

The best you can get from an Asus router right now is around 220-240 Mbps, with an RT-AC86U or RT-AX88U.

amplatfus likes this.
  4. CaptainSTX

CaptainSTX Very Senior Member

If you are talking about running a VPN client on your router and connecting to a commercial VPN the limiting factor often becomes the supplier and the speed they can or will provide.

I just switched my routers and running a VPN client on an Asus AC86 I am now getting the same speeds as I was getting running a VPN appliance with a full blown I7 processor. This is also the same speed that I get running a VPN app on a laptop with even a faster I7 processor.

If you can't get the speeds you are wishing for on a PC then find another VPN provider. If you find one that does provide the speed you desire please let everyone on the forum know.