What's new

BIG UPDATE FW Version 3.0.0.4.220

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

After I upgraded firmware to to .220 I noticed that every time I rebooted my cable modem the router would not pick up the wan ip automatically. I literally had to go in and do the connection setup wizard or turn the switch from on to off and back on on the network map, internet status page every time to finally get it to pick up an ip and sometimes would have have to reboot the router if that didn't work. And what is even weirder is EVERY TIME when it finally assigned the wan ip it would be different. I could restart/reboot my cable modem and get a different wan ip every single time. So I downgraded to the .178 firmware I was using and everything is fine again.

Same problem here. My N66U would also disconnect from my ISP completely (about 2x per week) and even when running the "connect wizard"....it still wouldn't re-connect. Only a hard reboot of the modem and the N66U router fixed this issue.

This ONLY started happening after the 3.0.0.4.220 upgrade. Rolled back to .178 and everything works perfectly again. Not sure WHAT is causing this w/ the latest firmware, but it's definitely *not* stable for me.

Also tried "Merlin's Build" as well of that version and SAME results as factory firmware.

Confused.

I am a newby so please excuse any errors I may make. I have just installed my RT-N66U version B1 and am having some issues with UPnP and others. I started reading this forum and note that you are talking about a firmware update 3.0.0.4.220 while my unit has firmware version 3.0.0.3.112. I have repeatedly tried to update this firmware and I keep getting the response that my firmware is the latest version. Can someone please tell me what error I have made or what I am misunderstanding. :confused:

Thank you

I am a newby so please excuse any errors I may make. I have just installed my RT-N66U version B1 and am having some issues with UPnP and others. I started reading this forum and note that you are talking about a firmware update 3.0.0.4.220 while my unit has firmware version 3.0.0.3.112. I have repeatedly tried to update this firmware and I keep getting the response that my firmware is the latest version. Can someone please tell me what error I have made or what I am misunderstanding. :confused:

Thank you

Hi, I'd suggest that you go to the Asus web site and manually download the .220 firmware to a system hard-wired to your router (don't use wireless for upgrading firmware). Then go into the firmware upgrade tab under "Administration", and select your downloaded .trx file using the "Choose File" selection mechanism, and then click on "Upload". This will upgrade your router firmware to the firmware in the .trx file that you just downloaded and selected.

You will also need to clear the nvram on your router after upgrading, and re-enter your settings at that point since they will have been wiped out when you cleared the nvram. I'd also suggest power-cycling the router either after clearing the nvram, or after re-entering your settings (or both *smile*).

If you have any more questions at this point, just ask.

Having a different IP actually makes sense. Build 220 now correctly releases its WAN lease when you disable the WAN interface, which allows people to renew their lease just by disable and re-enable the WAN interface. Being re-assigned the same IP is actually a side-effect of incorrect behaviour, it means your lease does not get properly released with your ISP.

This may be true, but every router I have ever had has always assigned me same IP daily for weeks or months until I leave my cable modem off for over 24 hours or so. Either way, the new firmware is not working right because it will not automatically assign the IP/renew the lease daily with me. I do not leave my cable modem running 24/7 so this is a problem when I have to reboot the router manually daily or go in an disable/re-enable the WAN switch.

Being new to the N66U (just got it last week) -
I have serious doubts about the QoS implementation: Set the Bandwidth truthfully and defined some rules... 60/8+ Mbit/s Internet connection... All is good and working well until I start getting into the 50+ Mbit/s download range: At that point the upload drops like a rock to <2 Mbit/s for absolutely no reason...
Turning off QoS brings upload back to 8+ Mbit/s and download is humming away nicely at 60...
I need QoS to work for VoIP and some other stuff but it seems like this is a 'scared chicken' implementation that slows upload down when download get's heavy for no apparent reason....

Is it time to try Tomato or the like?

Thank you.

Hi, I'd suggest that you go to the Asus web site and manually download the .220 firmware to a system hard-wired to your router (don't use wireless for upgrading firmware). Then go into the firmware upgrade tab under "Administration", and select your downloaded .trx file using the "Choose File" selection mechanism, and then click on "Upload". This will upgrade your router firmware to the firmware in the .trx file that you just downloaded and selected.

You will also need to clear the nvram on your router after upgrading, and re-enter your settings at that point since they will have been wiped out when you cleared the nvram. I'd also suggest power-cycling the router either after clearing the nvram, or after re-entering your settings (or both *smile*).

If you have any more questions at this point, just ask.

Thank you. It has taken me a while but everything seems to be working fine now. Again, many thanks.

My option "Respond Ping Request from WAN" doesn't do nothing. Still responds to ping requests. Anybody else ?

Should i try the tomato firmware ? ;)

Location services issue

Location services on my iPad (os6) does not work with the rt-n66u but does work on other networks with different routers. I have searched the iPad forums and have tried every suggestion to no avail. (Reboot iPad, reset network settings, reset location & privacy settings etc.)

My feeling is I'm missing or have an incorrect setting on the router.

Does anyone know a solution to this issue.

My option "Respond Ping Request from WAN" doesn't do nothing. Still responds to ping requests. Anybody else ?

Should i try the tomato firmware ? ;)

That option will only have effect from outside your network.

Same problem here. My N66U would also disconnect from my ISP completely (about 2x per week) and even when running the "connect wizard"....it still wouldn't re-connect. Only a hard reboot of the modem and the N66U router fixed this issue.

This ONLY started happening after the 3.0.0.4.220 upgrade. Rolled back to .178 and everything works perfectly again. Not sure WHAT is causing this w/ the latest firmware, but it's definitely *not* stable for me.

Also tried "Merlin's Build" as well of that version and SAME results as factory firmware.

Had the same problem but more sever my PPPOE connection worked once then it would not connect again after I put my modem into bridge mode. The router also started freezing while just doing things on my LAN this was after about two weeks of running it. I wiped all settings back to default and that did not fix the PPPOE problem.

Went back to 3.0.0.3.178 and all is well PPPOE connects no problem as it should, no more freezes.

I'm used to compiling my own openwrt firmware on my wndr3700V2 and have quite a bit of experience with routers, this latest frimware has MASSIVE PROBLEMS

Last edited:
Location services on my iPad (os6) does not work with the rt-n66u but does work on other networks with different routers. I have searched the iPad forums and have tried every suggestion to no avail. (Reboot iPad, reset network settings, reset location & privacy settings etc.)

Probably has nothing to do with the router - if your iPad is Wi-Fi only (doesn't have a built-in GPS receiver), it probably tries to approximate its location based on IP address that your ISP provides you with, so... Maybe try to release/renew the WAN IP address on your router (so ISP will provide you with new one), maybe that will help...

I had same problem when I got a new router. This has nothing to do with RT-N66U - any router switch will cause the problem. I searched the internet and the answer is quite simple.

WiFi location services works with the SSID and MAC address of the router. Whenever an iPhone or Android phone is on the network the GPS-enabled phone will send the SSID, MAC and GPS coordinates to the either Google or Apple. After some time when it becomes clear that this network is based at the specific GPS-coordinates it becomes associated with them. This may take a little while though. With Google it took some weeks.

I had moved a router (Dlink DIR-855) from another location to my home and the Android devices thought they were at the other location unless they where able to use the GPS or mobile network. However my tablet (like your iPad) where not very good with the GPS-signal and was WiFi only so it only had WiFi location to rely on.

I think this isn't worth a new thread so I post it here...

The current firmware reboots the router when adding port forwarding rules. Is this going to be fixed in the future? I think that if my parents' cheap BeWan DSL modem/router/piece of junk doesn't need rebooting then Asus' flagship model should definitely not need either.

I think this isn't worth a new thread so I post it here...

The current firmware reboots the router when adding port forwarding rules. Is this going to be fixed in the future? I think that if my parents' cheap BeWan DSL modem/router/piece of junk doesn't need rebooting then Asus' flagship model should definitely not need either.

Do you add rules all day long, or every single day?

Just add them all at once and apply. :rolleyes:

I agree that Asuswrt is a bit reboot-happy, which can get annoying because it doesn't warn you before rebooting. I might eventually take a closer look at those reboot scenarios and see if I can reduce them a bit in my custom firmware.

Is anybody else having issues with Parental Controls?

I can't seem to get Sunday to start at any time other than midnight.

And, while both kids have the same schedule one gets kicked off at the right time while the other one does not.

It is also really annoying that the device names are not included in the drop down list just the IP address. You have to verify the device name and IP address from the Clients list (don't even get me started on how unreliable that is) then select it by IP address from the drop down in the Parental Controls menus. Previous releases worked much better than this one.

I have half a mind to flash back to .162. I had the least amount of problems with that one. I sure hope they have another update coming soon.

Range issues with 3.0.0.4.220

Has anyone besides me experienced range shortening after updating to this version? I mainly got this router for its range and performance.

After upgrading to this version the though spot in my house now connects and disconnects constantly, compared to being connected constantly with a with version 3.0.0.3.108.

Power levels have been and currently are 500mw per radio.

I haven't put too much thought in this and just found this thread so I decided to ask. Any ideas are welcome.

Last edited:
The 5 GHz radio now properly limits output power to limits set by the various regulation bodies, so it might reduce range in some cases (but increase in other cases, like when using a high numbered channel).

Another change Asus did with 220 is to enable interference management. This will improve performance in scenarios where you have a lot of local interference, but can reduce performance/stability in some other usage scenarios.

Personally I would recommend you try reducing the output power. If you push it too high, it will introduce distortion in your signal, actually worsening performance. ALso make sure you are using a fixed channel - having it on Auto will result in highly variable performance as the router might jump around channels.

Is anybody else having issues with Parental Controls?

I can't seem to get Sunday to start at any time other than midnight.

And, while both kids have the same schedule one gets kicked off at the right time while the other one does not.

It is also really annoying that the device names are not included in the drop down list just the IP address. You have to verify the device name and IP address from the Clients list (don't even get me started on how unreliable that is) then select it by IP address from the drop down in the Parental Controls menus. Previous releases worked much better than this one.

I have half a mind to flash back to .162. I had the least amount of problems with that one. I sure hope they have another update coming soon.

I am. The trouble I am having is that even though it shows a certain IP should be open, it does not allow access. If I remove that unit from the Parental Controls setup, it works fine. Very annoying.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!