What's new

Block Internet Access confusion

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MrOblivious

New Around Here
Hello to all -

I'm having trouble with something that seems like it should be simple and self-explanatory, yet doesn't seem to be behaving as it should.

I have a Vizio TV connected to my router that I want to be able to communicate with on the LAN side, but block its access to the internet. I have 'Manual Assignment' enabled on the DHCP server, so I go the IP assigned to the TV and set the slider for 'Block Internet Access' to ON and apply. Seems like this should work, but when I look at the follow log in Diversion, it would appear that it's still going out the WAN unless I'm reading the log incorrectly, which is entirely possible if not probable...

Router setting:
Screen Shot 2021-09-10 at 1.40.51 PM.png

Some log samples:
Screen Shot 2021-09-10 at 1.46.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-10 at 1.46.45 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-10 at 1.48.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-10 at 1.49.50 PM.png

I’ve read several other posts on this subject including this one, which includes the method I'm using; trying to use the simplest, most streamlined method that works. Router is RT-AC86U running 386.3_2 and connecting over VPN.

Appreciate any suggestions!

It's working as intended. Your Vizio is talking to dnsmasq on the router, it is then the router that is doing the DNS queries. When the Vizio tries to connect directly to somewhere on the internet it should be blocked.

It's working as intended. Your Vizio is talking to dnsmasq on the router, it is then the router that is doing the DNS queries. When the Vizio tries to connect directly to somewhere on the internet it should be blocked.
Thanks Colin! I was hoping it was something that simple. I had actually come back to edit the post as I forgot to add that when I do the connection test from the TV's menu, it fails. Was just confused by the log entries, but your explanation makes perfect sense.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!