What's new

Block LAN access by MAC?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AppleBag

Regular Contributor
I know that you can deny wifi access by MAC, but is the same possible with LAN access?

I have a few unidentified devices and in order to help me identify them I'd like to add their MACs to a block list. Then if/when I notice some device not being able to use the net I'll know which one it is.

Wouldn't the easy answer just start unplugging ethernet cables?

Just saying...

For wireless devices one can block by mac address on the Wireless > Wireless MAC Filter tab.
[Wireless] How to set up Wireless MAC Filter?

For wired network clients I'm with @sfx2000, I'd start unplugging Ethernet cables to isolate the device(s) at issue. Or go around turning off wired devices to see which one is the offending MAC address. Otherwise I'd assume you'd have to do some kind of scripting to instruct the router to isolate the offending MAC addresses.

At the very least one can block internet access to the offending unknown MAC addresses via the Network Map > Clients icon where you can click on the unknown MAC IP address in the Client Status section and select "Block Internet Access" for that device.

At the very least one can block internet access to the offending unknown MAC addresses via the Network Map > Clients icon where you can click on the unknown MAC IP address in the Client Status section and select "Block Internet Access" for that device.

AHA! Ya know ... all this time I've been using Merlin, which is years now, I've never actually clicked that icon? :oops: I've always just kinda thought it was an icon/label-y type thing for the "View List" button below it. OPE! Glad I asked now! lol TY!

Wouldn't the easy answer just start unplugging ethernet cables?

Just saying...
Wait ... so you're sayin it would be be easier to walk around 3 floors in this house, unplugging and re-plugging in a ton of different devices, than to just enter a MAC address in the settings from my cozy chair here, and pressing a Save button?

Wait ... so you're sayin it would be be easier to walk around 3 floors in this house, unplugging and re-plugging in a ton of different devices, than to just enter a MAC address in the settings from my cozy chair here, and pressing a Save button?

unplug the cables at the router itself?

duh?

unplug the cables at the router itself?

duh?
Not that cut n dry, Champ.

I also have an Airport connected to 1 of the LAN ports on the router, that MANY wifi devices connect to, and when they so, they show up in the UI as an ethernet connection .... as well as an 8 port switch in another LAN port that has 8 more devices attached to it.

I also have an Airport connected to 1 of the LAN ports on the router, that MANY wifi devices connect to, and when they so, they show up in the UI as an ethernet connection .... as well as an 8 port switch in another LAN port that has 8 more devices attached to it.

Fine - you sound like that guy on Quora that has a 6 week old kitten that wants to declaw it and feed it a vegan diet...

anyways - you should know what's plugged into your ethernet lan - seriously dude...

I have a few unidentified devices and in order to help me identify them I'd like to add their MACs to a block list. Then if/when I notice some device not being able to use the net I'll know which one it is.
Do an OUI lookup on their MAC, it should help identify them.

Fine - you sound like that guy on Quora that has a 6 week old kitten that wants to declaw it and feed it a vegan diet...

Uh ... wut ... *side eye*

anyways - you should know what's plugged into your ethernet lan - seriously dude...

Maybe if I only had 4 devices connected to the 4 ports in my router it'd be that easy. Got a lot more money than that, and thus a lot more devices than that. Maybe if you weren't poor you'd know what it's like, Cap'n.

Maybe if I only had 4 devices connected to the 4 ports in my router it'd be that easy. Got a lot more money than that, and thus a lot more devices than that. Maybe if you weren't poor you'd know what it's like, Cap'n.

OK...

You have your opinion, and that's that...

you don't know who I am, and don't make assumptions mate...

you don't know who I am, and don't make assumptions mate...
Says the dude who assumed I'm a Libtard ....

You're welcome to come here and manually unplug the 40 devices one by one if you want to. I'd personally rather just type a MAC and press "Save".

You're welcome to come here and manually unplug the 40 devices one by one if you want to. I'd personally rather just type a MAC and press "Save".

one line of code is 3000 test cases...

Just for you...

Nah

Just for you...

Nah
How many lines of code is a basket case, like you?

Come on and manually unplug/plug and test all of these devices... I'll even give ya 5 bucks. Sounds like you could use it.

Not that cut n dry, Champ.

Pulling at the router would help you narrow down which down stream switches/airport devices the unknown MAC devices are on. You can then go to the downstream switch(s) or airport device and start pulling cables to find the unknown MAC device. Use a mobile device connected to the router via WIFi that has the router's GUI open on it helps with finding the offending MAC's easier when moving from network switch or airport device to another when pull cables from them.

Just for you...

Nah
The OP only asked if there was a way to do something - he didn't ask that code be written especially for him. Your suggestion was helpful, but defending it to the death is kind of sad.