What's new

Bonehead mistake with jffs config file

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

undecimo

New Around Here
Hi all, I've been running Merlin firmware for years on various products and currently have the latest build on an AX-58U. Instead of assigning static LAN IPs through the GUI, I've been doing it in /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add.

Last night I made a bonehead mistake - I was entering a new MAC address in the above file and substituted semicolons for colons twice. When I restarted dnsmasq the router began to choke (wouldn't resolve any addresses) but I was able to ssh in and fix one of the semicolons - I didn't notice the second. Then I rebooted the router. Since then, the router still advertises SSIDs, but the DHCP server is hosed and won't issue any IP addresses upon connecting via Wi-Fi or Ethernet.

I have a feeling a factory reset is in my future, but I'm wondering if there's any way I can fire up one more command line session (without serial port surgery) to fix that one problematic character. I have a 3-month-old backup of jffs but never backed up the rest of the router config. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Just configure the network card on your PC with a static IP address instead of using DHCP.
I thought I tried that unsuccessfully last night in the wee hours, but with your prompting I tried again and was able to get back in and fix the issue. Thank you!