What's new

Both wifi bands dead on 86u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OBENZ

Regular Contributor
So my 86u 2.4ghz band has been dead for a while,I was sent a replacement and they left the faulty one as well. Forward to yesterday, I had a power surge, the router got stuck in botloop, I did the wps reset but this time both wifi LED are dead. Started from scratch, both show channel 0. In one instance I tried a combination of the wps and power button and got the LEDs back, but I restored a saved config and boothloop occurred again and haven't managed to get the LED back on. Should I throw it away and buy another router or is there a chance to revive the 5ghz channel?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Try flashing the stock Asus firmware. Whatever works or dosen't get a UPS for your router and modem.

Did you do a factory reset? One good way for the AC86U:
Power off
Holding the WPS button, power on. The power LED comes on
When the power LED goes off, turn off the power.
Take a deep breath and turn the power back on. Do a minimal config then reflash the firmware and do another reset as above.
No guarantees but might just work...

Did you do a factory reset? One good way for the AC86U:
Power off
Holding the WPS button, power on. The power LED comes on
When the power LED goes off, turn off the power.
Take a deep breath and turn the power back on. Do a minimal config then reflash the firmware and do another reset as above.
No guarantees but might just work...
Yep that's exactly what I did, everything works exect for wifi so now it's just a dead brick, never buying an Asus again. My Belkin is 10years old and still works

that's an interesting reason for not buying ASUS because POWER SURGE kills the router.

try rma again if it's still covered by warranty.

regardless of which brand of router you end up getting, get a UPS and surge protection that provides proper protection to your valuable electronic product.

Last edited:
that's an interesting reason for not buying ASUS because POWER SURGE kills the router.

try rma again if it's still covered by warranty.

regardless of which brand of router you end up getting, get a UPS and surge protection that provides proper protection to your valuable electronic product.
This is not the reason I'm not buying the brand again, the reason is the doa 2.4ghz band. Also I have 2 86u, both had a power surge and only one survived. But I live in a 150 square meter apartment and I have 3 routers when I thought one ac86u would cover the whole house. It's an open apartment with no so many corridors yet the signals from the 86u is weak Fromm kitchen to living room, and from the other 86u in the living to the 3 other rooms

This is not the reason I'm not buying the brand again, the reason is the doa 2.4ghz band. Also I have 2 86u, both had a power surge and only one survived. But I live in a 150 square meter apartment and I have 3 routers when I thought one ac86u would cover the whole house. It's an open apartment with no so many corridors yet the signals from the 86u is weak Fromm kitchen to living room, and from the other 86u in the living to the 3 other rooms

As several others have discovered today, the AC86U is a new beast with the 384_81858 firmware! But go ahead and buy something else. Leave the Asus for folks who care....

While you can roll a dice and pray for devices to survive from a power surge, my suggestion is still to spend some extra for the UPS to protect the valuable equipment.

if it has DoA 2.4Ghz, I would have returned to the store and replace it.

A lot of factors can affect signal strength. while I don't have ac86, I haven't had an issue to get signal and performance that I wanted from the routers that I own.
used to connect to my ac68u/ac3100/ and now ax88 located @ basement from 2nd floor wirelessly, don't really had an issue (4 bars minimal).
the material of my house is wood though, so not much interference.
the router will def have less power to penetrate say, concrete, so maybe you will want to consider a different location for the router to give you better coverage.
for example, move them closer to the center of the desired coverage.

it's hard to tell why you ac86 perform poorly, but good luck to find what works better for your setup :)