What's new

BQ16 Pro Quad Band

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

So BQ16 Pro revealed on CES livestream. Doesn't seem USA site is updated, maybe not getting it here anytime soon. Question for those who might know please:

BE98 Pro that I currently have as (primary) router, can it add ZenWiFi BQ16 Pro as a node? The specs of the BE98 Pro are higher, more memory, more (Multi-Gig) Ethernet ports, 1 more USB. Per verbage on ZenWiFi page AiMesh routers may be added as nodes to ZenWiFi network. It is unclear whether the other way around applies as well.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Yes, you can use them in AiMesh as you wish.

However, you almost always want to have the most powerful router as the main, not the node.

ASUS site updated now

Last edited:
Thank you @aublumberg. I’m afraid a pop up asks me to switch to the USA site when I go to the global ASUS pages, and when I go there just the ZenWiFi intro page, no BQ16 Pro info…

Thank you @aublumberg. I’m afraid a pop up asks me to switch to the USA site when I go to the global ASUS pages, and when I go there just the ZenWiFi intro page, no BQ16 Pro info…
Here is what it shows, not much info yet, just the product overview:

ASUS ZenWiFi BQ16 Pro BE30000 Quad-band WiFi 7 Mesh Router (2pk), Coverage up to 8000 sq.ft., Smart Home Master Network, Subscription-free Network Security, Advanced Parental Controls, VPN, Dual 10G port, AiMesh
  • Award-winning meshes bring next-gen WiFi 7 speeds of up to 30 Gbps, extendable coverage of up to 8000 sq. ft. (2pk) for your worry-free smart home.
  • Quad-band AiMesh unlocks WiFi 7 potential in all bands, plus AI-enhanced dedicated 6 GHz backhaul helps to ensure congestion-free connections.
  • Smart Home Master inside the ASUS router mobile app provides easy, powerful subnetwork setup and management for IoT devices, VPNs, and parental control.
  • Twelve internal antennas and sixteen high-power front-end modules correct for WiFi dead zones in all directions, and robust heat dissipation offers enhanced reliability.
  • 10 Gbps ready home networking empowers unbeatable wired gaming, smoother 4K HDR streaming, and backup VoIP support with dual 10 Gbps ports.
  • Subscription-free, security with commercial-grade AiProtection Pro powered by Trend Micro™, one-tap security scan and Safe browsing.
  • Advanced Parental Controls protect your kids online with instant monitoring, content filters, and customized settings – without the need to set up on every device any more, thanks to Kid's Network SSIDs.
  • Comprehensive VPN features supports multiple protocols, and site-to-site connectivity.

Attachments

• IMG_2401.png
    IMG_2401.png
    22.6 KB · Views: 17
I am more interested in lower tier Asus BT10 which has traditional bands setup with no complicated splitting. BQ16 and BQ16 Pro are "TOTAL" scam products which will not only be costly, but also have zero use case advantages over BT10.

Just get a RT-BE96U or BT10 if you want to jump into Wifi7 world and avoid overpriced and overspecced higher models. Your wallet will thank me.

TBH, a cheaper 2x2 broadcaster would do just fine as 99% mobiles out there have 2x2 radios. We are been scammed by getting 4x4 routers. Heck even the 4x4 Wifi6 routers have almost no 4x4 wifi6 clients even now. Most laptops are 2x2 only and Intel BE200 and QCNCM865 m.2 cards are ...... surprise surprise 2x2 only.

/rant

PS: Don't get a wifi7 router if you have internet connection that is under gigabit.

Last edited:
I am more interested in lower tier Asus BT10 which has traditional bands setup with no complicated splitting. BQ16 and BQ16 Pro are "TOTAL" scam products which will not only be costly, but also have zero use case advantages over BT10.

Just get a RT-BE96U or BT10 if you want to jump into Wifi7 world and avoid overpriced and overspecced higher models. Your wallet will thank me.
You don't think the 4th band has a use case for people with wireless backhaul? 4 bands seems to make the most sense for mesh devices to me because most people aren't going to plug them in to use an ethernet backhaul. Seems like you could have a dedicated backhaul this way but still use the other 3 bands for your devices. Otherwise, yeah, seems like there's no point.

PS: Don't get a wifi7 router if you have internet connection that is under gigabit.
While fodder to/from the dwelling can be a factor, it's certainly not the only one. Nothing wrong with communicating /within/ at the best possible rate even if there's only a garden hose intead of a fire hose connecting the network to the world.

Thinking like the quote's what brought us a /single/ multigig port (for WAN only!) on some models, which is impractical unless the only wireless traffic is by multiple facebook users, etc.

Thinking like the quote's what brought us a /single/ multigig port (for WAN only!) on some models, which is impractical unless the only wireless traffic is by multiple facebook users, etc.

Thinking like that is also the reason why there are so many places with CAT5 cabling, when CAT5e or CAT6 has had a negligible marginal cost for decades.

With those prices, shouldn't that availability be April 1st? lol...

With those prices, shouldn't that availability be April 1st? lol...
These prices are not in USD. They`re probably SGD, or TWD.

That's a vast difference! SGD: USD 821.39, TWD: USD 34.74.

That latter price is tempting, but the former is just plain greed for these underpowered devices that are not upgradeable in the least.

Such questionable information could be more easily satisfiable if the (original?) US dollar symbol of a capital U superimposed on a capital S had (and was used) its own character value.

On the tech spec sheet, the USB port is listed as a 3.1 Gen. 1, but the image shows a USB 3.2 port on the back.
View attachment 52788

View attachment 52789
Probably a typo on the spec sheet.
And what's up with just one USB port on a router system that will cost more than $1000
Oh boy, they went back to USB 3.0 for the released product. Here is the new router back:
1710882243922.png

The back panel also includes the power switch that moved from the side to the back of the router.

Oh boy, they went back to USB 3.0 for the released product. Here is the new router back:
USB 3.0 is the same thing as USB 3.1 Gen 1 and USB 3.2 Gen 1x1.

Yes, but it would have been nice to get a reversible type C connector with Gen 2 support. Especially for a router at this price point. Not sure what I would connect to it that would require such speeds, but bragging rights ;)

Yes, but it would have been nice to get a reversible type C connector with Gen 2 support
The CPU does not support Gen 2.

TBH getting a pair of Ubiquiti U7 Pros for $200 each would be the cheapest option for a cool home mesh network.

Blows any overpriced wifi7 stuff from Asus

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!