What's new

Bricked AC68U when upgrading firmware to 386.5

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

beiley

Occasional Visitor
Today I tried to update the firmware on my AC68U to 386.5 and when it finished it told me to finish by manually rebooting my router. This was strange, as I don't think I've ever seen that before when upgrading firmware. I turned it off/on, and now it seems to be bricked. I've tried a factory reset (reset button), a hard factory reset (WPS with power button), and tried restoring the firmware by putting it in recovery mode, and using Asus's firmware recovery tool. The firmware recovery tool looked promising, as it found the device, and starts to upload, but it gets to 40%, and goes back to 0%, goes up to 40% again, back to 0, and then finally fails. I called Asus, and they had me do a factory reset, and then told me since my device is out of warranty I need to just buy a new router. Is there anything else I can try to fix it?

Thanks,
Mark

I should have mentioned I was upgrading from 386.3_2

Thanks itpp20. I did exactly that but it failed. It did seem to connect, and start uploading the firmware, but when it got to 40% uploaded, it went back to 0, repeated this, and then the third time it failed, saying it failed to update the firmware.

Next time when you see the prompt to manually reboot, do not power it off as it's not yet fully finish with the firmware upgrade. Wait for a few until you see the login prompt.
Ahh, good to know. I hadn't ever noticed that before. Thanks.

Ahh, good to know. I hadn't ever noticed that before. Thanks.
You will see the manually reboot message when your wireless or ethernet hasn't gotten an ip yet. It's actually waiting for a connection to establish while the router is completing the update.