What's new

Bridge connects wired devices to network but not internet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mike Rubin

Occasional Visitor
I stumbled upon this forum while googling for information about my issue and I am impressed with the level of expertise on these forums. I therefore hope you don't mind my re-posting an inquiry I raised on the D-Link forums. I suspect that I am likely both to get an answer here and, particularly, to get one that actually might be helpful.

My D-Link DAP-1522 bridge is connecting just fine to my D-Link dual-band DIR-825 wirelessly (albeit only on the 2.4 ghz band, but that's another story). Unfortunately, the two cabled music servers connected to the DAP-1522's ethernet ports apparently cannot see the Internet. They DO see the rest of the network and all three of the DAP-1522 and the two music servers are pingable. Further, I can use other wired and wireless devices on both the 2.4 and 5 ghz bands to control the two music servers using VNC and a browser interface. Unfortunately, however, I can't seem to receive internet radio stations or check for firmware updates on the servers, so I don't believe they actually can see the internet.

My internet provider has me on a static IP address, but most devices on the network are on DHCP. However, I have assigned static IP addresses to the router, a range extender, a printer, my NAS, the two music servers, and the DAP-1522. Since I've assigned all of the static IP addresses in the devices themselves, I have not reserved any addresses on the DIR-825 router. Also, after several failed attempts to get the DAP-1522 connected wirelessly using manual settings after I initially set it to its static IP address, I finally got it to connect wirelessly to the 2.4 ghz band using WPS.

Since everything behind my DSL modem is just humming and all devices are pingable, I have to think that I ought to be able to get out to the internet with the two music servers just by making a simple settings change or two. All other devices on the network that need to see the internet do so, and with great connections, so I figure I must not be too far off. Is there something in particular that you can recommend I check? Thanks for any help you can offer, and just ask if there's additional information needed from me.

Static manually assigned, via the client, addresses cannot exist in the DHCP pool, it's prolly best to use static dhcp instead.

Local network communication only requires they exist on the same subnet, so a manual static address of just the IP and the subnet mask matching those physically connected is all that is needed.

Internet access beyond the local network requires DNS(router relay, ISP, or OpenDNS) and gateway(router) addresses to be provided that will then lead them to the internet.

Static manually assigned, via the client, addresses cannot exist in the DHCP pool, it's prolly best to use static dhcp instead.

Local network communication only requires they exist on the same subnet, so a manual static address of just the IP and the subnet mask matching those physically connected is all that is needed.

Internet access beyond the local network requires DNS(router relay, ISP, or OpenDNS) and gateway(router) addresses to be provided that will then lead them to the internet.

Thank you for the comments. My static IP addresses all are outside the router's DHCP range, so there's no conflict there, and everything on the network is in the same 255.255.255.0 subnet, including the music servers, so, as noted in my post, there's no issue there. I've also provided the router IP and my ISP's DNS to the two music servers.

Since posting, I've concluded that the issue might be something else altogether, i.e., the failure of the system to open ports 8000 and 8001 for the servers, precluding them from receiving internet radio. (The failure to obtain firmware update information, I've learned, may be due to the server manufacturer's decision to maintain that URL no longer, and I was able last night to get out to the internet over the bridge when I connected a laptop to the bridge with an ethernet cable and turned off the laptop's wireless connection.) I've tried port forwarding and creating virtual servers with those ports at the music servers' static IP addresses, but still no internet radio.

What alerted me to the possible port 8000 issue is that I cannot enable my Buffalo NAS' web access function, which only requires UPnP to be enabled on the router or port 9000 opened. When I check the "use UPnP box," I get a "UPnP-nogateway" error message. When I alternatively set port 9000 and try to forward it to the device, I still can't get web access.

As noted, the music servers have static IP addresses (so that I can bookmark their web interface pages) and the Buffalo NAS defaults to one. I therfore have to wonder if my router has an issue with port forwarding to specified addresses or something.

The router and bridge both are just beyond their RMA periods and otherwise are working really well, so I am not inclined to replace them. Worse comes to worst, I will just do without the internet radio and NAS web access, since those features are a lot less important to me than getting the rest of the network's devices playing nicely together, and I've accomplished that. I think, though, that I probably should post this port forwarding question separately, since I think that I may have asked the wrong question initially.

What are the specifics of the music servers and NAS? Maybe D-Link virtual server port forward requires devices be managed by the DHCP server, so create static DHCP profiles and set those devices to DHCP.

255.255.255.0 doesn't define the subnet, something like 192.168.1.0 does. If your router is using 192.168.1.1, and you have set the DHCP pool to 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.2.100, then you should be able to assign addresses 192.168.1.101 to 192.168.1.254 as static. This is the way my network is configured. :cool:

BNBORG. the router is at 192.168.0.1, the bridge is at 192.169.0.3, the DHCP pool is between 192.168.0.10 and 192.168.0.30, the Buffalo NAS is at 192.168.0.150, and the two Olive music servers are at 192.168.0.152 and 192168.0.153. (A printer is at 192.168.0.151.)

Overdrive, the Buffalo NAS is an LS-CHL and the Olive servers are an original Opus and a Musica. The NAS wants a static address and I was unable to get the Olives to join the network using "easy setup" under DHCP, so I configured them to the static IP addresses mentioned, and specified the router's IP address, the 255.255.255.0 subnet mask, and my ISP's prescribed DNS address. (They also seem to function identically if I use the router's IP address as the DNS address.)

I did not know you can set a static profile to a dynamically assigned address. How woudl I do that, if you don't mind my asking?

I really appreciate you guys jumping in! Thanks very much.

Add DHCP Reservation here http://192.168.0.1/Basic/Network.shtml

Web Access via http://buffalonas.com may require you to also disable https/ssl encryption on the NAS. It could be WAN ping blocking all internet addresses including buffalonas.com(210.167.160.117).

Ah, thank you. I did not realize that you meant DHCP reservation with your reference. One thing I've never understood, though: How does that differ as a practical matter from assigning a static IP address?

The encryption has not been enabled on the NAS. There's an option for doing that, but the default is disabled and I never messed with that.

I don't know if this is at all helpful, but when these music servers used to connect wirelessly to my old 2wire, their shared folders showed up as part of the network in Windows Explorer and the file manager that I prefer. Right now, neither does (although the NAS still is there).

Did setting static IPs via DHCP reservation solve any of the virtual server port forward problems and what protocols(UDP, TCP, or Both) are you forwarding? You won't need to set a reservation for the bridge unless you set it to use DHCP, make sure the gateway IP(router) is entered in the bridge. May need to enable multicast streams here http://192.168.0.1/Advanced/Network.shtml . If the laptop works using DHCP over the bridge, why not setup DHCP reserves for the problem devices.

Last edited:
I tried with one of the servers. It joined the network with a dynamic address, which I then reserved for it in the router settings. At separate times, I tried both port forwarding and creating a virtual server at the reserved address. When port forwarding, I forwarded ports 8000 and 8001. When setting up the virtual server, I only forwarded port 8000 (since there was no room in the dialogue box to enter a range of ports.) I tried first with TCP and then with UDP and then both. In no case was I able to get the server to retrieve internet radio stations. I finally just reassigned the static IP address and deleted the reservation and all of the virtual server and port forwarding entries.

Disable WAN ping? Plug these devices into the router to rule out the bridge? RTP(8000) and RTPC(8001) are UDP.

Took a gander at D-Link forums, several mentioning having to disable WPS on the router.

Last edited:
Disable WAN ping? Plug these devices into the router to rule out the bridge? RTP(8000) and RTPC(8001) are UDP.

Took a gander at D-Link forums, several mentioning having to disable WPS on the router.

Thank you very much for the information and suggestion. I'll try these out.

FWIW, I've been looking at some Olive/Hifidelio forums to see if there are known internet radio issues with these devices. They apparently are erratic when it comes to joining WLANs and to receiving internet radio. So, I haven't ruled out that it's the vagaries of these devices that's creating the problem in conjunction with the D-Link products (although, as I've mentioned, I did not have issues joining my old 2wire's WLAN and receiving internet radio on the devices when I did.)

Understood. You still haven't disabled WAN ping? Disabled WPS? Did anything change connected directly to the router? To receive a internet radio stream, one does not need port forwarding. To host an internet radio stream from home, you do have to port forward. For the NAS webaccess, it requires UPnP enabled on the router or a port forward, and since it's a third party location @buffalonas.com it might require WAN ping to respond to know that your location exists. Many have said for things to work right between the 825 and 1522, WPS must be disabled.

Last edited:
I confess that I haven't gotten around to trying either. I am not sure how to disable the ping and, I guess, I am concerned about devices becoming unpingable in general. I also have not turned off WPS, although I do know how to do that. I'll try that much tonight and see if there's a setting for the WAN ping, as well, if only to rule out that potential culprit. Thank you for your help with this.

Overdrive, I tried disabling WPS and enabling WAN ping, separately and apart. Nothing changed. Still no internet radio on the servers and no web access for the NAS. I appreciate the suggestions, but no luck so far. :(

What modem do you have and how is it configured, router or bridged? You connected the 1522 using WPS originally, now with WPS off, did it connect ok? Ever connect the music servers or NAS to the router to see if the problems are only with the bridge? Buffalonas web access uses TCP port 9000. Make sure RTSP is enabled in the router under ALG settings http://192.168.0.1/Advanced/Firewall.shtml

Last edited:
What modem do you have and how is it configured, router or bridged? You connected the 1522 using WPS originally, now with WPS off, did it connect ok? Ever connect the music servers or NAS to the router to see if the problems are only with the bridge? Buffalonas web access uses TCP port 9000. Make sure RTSP is enabled in the router under ALG settings http://192.168.0.1/Advanced/Firewall.shtml

Overdrive, thanks. (1) The modem is the same 2wire modem/router/switch that I previously used, but now bridged. (2) Yes, the DAP-1522 reconnected just fine when I had WPS turned off. In fact, the entire network seemed to behave the same whether it was on or off. (3) The NAS is and always has been connected to the router. (Unfortunately, I never tried Buffalo web access when the 2wire router was in the system, so I don't have a baseline against which to compare the D-Link router web access capability or absence of same.) The music servers always have been on another floor of my house, but I may take one of them down to the office area over the weekend and see I can connect it directly to the router via Ethernet.) (4) I again tried forwarding port 9000 to the NAS' static IP both before and after I had the WAN ping enabled, especially since the Buffalo forums emphasize doing this if the NAS won't configure UPnP automatically. As before, it did not work. Before and after the WAN ping was enabled, I also tried to ping from outside the network. When the ping was disabled, I got the message that access was denied. When it was enabled, I got the message that the request timed out. (5) I'll try the suggested RTSP setting after work tonight or, if I can't get to the computer, tomorrow evening.

Thanks so much for your ongoing patience and guidance.

I also just noticed something else. I never turn on the NAS' bittorrent manager because I am not really a downloader, but I remembered that it operates on port 8080. I tried bringing it up now, but the router, to which the NAS is wired by ethernet, can't see it. I turned off the McAfee software firewall and set both TCP and UDP end point filtering to end point independent, and it still did not work. It definitely worked fine with the old 2wire router, so I think there must be some port forwarding issue with my new router. Since the NAS is connected by Ethernet, I wonder if that's not a question for the wired network forum rather than this one.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!