What's new

Bridge Options

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

feelyat

Occasional Visitor
What are some inexpensive routers and/or APs that support "media bridge" mode? I have a need to support a couple of wired (only) devices in a space with no wiring options, but pretty good WIFI coverage. I know my old ASUS RT-AC66U supported that mode, but shouldn't that be a fairly basic function that most lower-end devices will do?

so why not use your old AC66U in bridge mode then?

afaik, all Asus routers support Media Bridge mode

for others who don't know: in media bridge mode, the Asus router connects wirelessly to another access point, to provide ethernet connectivity (a bridge) to wired devices, like a desktop computer, TV or DVR in another room, for example.

Last edited by a moderator:
afaik, all Asus routers support Media Bridge mode
Do you have experience with that? I ask because the ASUS configuration page for media bridge mode in their webUI seems to indicate that it's a proprietary mode of ASUS devices:

1598275343921.png

"you need two RT-AC68U"

Will ASUS's media bridge mode work when connecting to other companies' WIFI networks? Knowing what it's doing, I would think so, but who knows?

Will ASUS's media bridge mode work when connecting to other companies' WIFI networks? Knowing what it's doing, I would think so, but who knows?

Yes it will work. I have an old Linksys 54G and it has no problem bridging from an AC68. Just be sure that the unit that you want to bridge from supports N connections on the radio you want to use.

I was thinking back to yesteryear and remembered I still have some old equipment. Went to look in my cubby. I have an ASUS Dark Knight RT-N66U w/ Merlin FW. Also an Apple Airport Express A1392 (second gen). As I recall, last time I used the Airport I had it set in bridge mode with the Dark Knight to provide ethernet to my (old) printer without a built-in wifi card. Never tried connecting to a switch, but assume it would have no issues. One of the reasons I loved that Airport was the simplicity. Set to bridge & forget. It just worked.

If either of these are of use to you, I would be willing to sell them. $60 + shipping for the ASUS or $50 + shipping for the Apple. Payment conducted via PayPal for both our protection. If interested, PM me and I can send pics, etc.

If either of these are of use to you, I would be willing to sell them. $60 + shipping for the ASUS or $50 + shipping for the Apple. Payment conducted via PayPal for both our protection. If interested, PM me and I can send pics, etc.
Thanks, but as you mentioned, there are better, newer options available. The RT-ACRH13 is $70 brand new, and it has recent firmware releases. I ended up grabbing a TP-Link N300 AP that has a functioning "client" mode. So far, it has worked fine for my purposes, but it might be interesting to compare with other solutions.

(Sigh) I just checked again, and the earlier assertion that all ASUS routers support media bridge mode appears to be false. Lower-end devices don't support it (the aforementioned ACRH13, for example), while older, equivalent devices (e.g. my old AC66U) do. They seem to have some repeaters that can function in bridge mode, but even there, it's not universal. The RP-AC51 has a media bridge mode, but the RP-AC52 does not.

shrug

Thanks, but as you mentioned, there are better, newer options available. The RT-ACRH13 is $70 brand new, and it has recent firmware releases. I ended up grabbing a TP-Link N300 AP that has a functioning "client" mode. So far, it has worked fine for my purposes, but it might be interesting to compare with other solutions.

No worries brother. Pricing on used stuff is always negotiable. ;)

More to the point, I'm glad you found a workable solution to your problem.