What's new

Bridge WAN to LAN port

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Otelo

New Around Here
I wasn't able to find a solution for this... I see TP-Link routers have the option to bridge one of the LAN ports to WAN for IPTV functionality, this WAN-LAN link then behaves like a switch, passing tagged and un-tagged packets (as I understand it). Need this to connect my ISPs STB using multiple vlans behind the router.

Can this be done via console on an asuswrt router ? The IPTV GUI menu is a useless mess on my AX56U.

Manual settings only allow you to set one speciffic vlan ID for WAN and LAN3 / LAN4. In my case I need WAN - LAN4 to be bridged, so tagged AND un-tagged packets get forwarded, just like on a switch.

So how would you separate the tagged and un-tagged packets once they leave the router?

Well, WAN-LAN4 would be a trunk, the router would only handle untagged packets on it's own subnet (assigned by ISP dhcp based on wan mac), everything else gets handled by the STB (works with tagged and un-tagged packets on subnets assigned by ISP dhcp based on STB mac). I'm not sure this can work the way I'm imagining this, alternatively I could connect the router and STB behind an L2 switch which is what I'm trying to work around here.

The ISP sanctioned way of running things is to have the router connected behind the STB, which has a 10/100 switch integrated. I'd like to have my router's 1gib interface facing the provider instead while waiting for an upgraded STB (with integrated gigabit switch) without having to run a standalone gigabit L2 switch as described above.

If the router handles the untagged packets why does the STB also need to see them? Have you tried setting up ITPV so that WAN is untagged and the tagged packets go to LAN4?

I found two vlan IDs using wireshark, tried each of them on LAN4 (with Internet VID left empty) but it does not work.

I mean, check out the IPTV section on TP-Link routers, it looks so simple: Advanced/Network/IPTV

Just build a bridge to a port and connect STB to it, no fussing around with vlan tags, no igmp disabled due to hw conflict nonsense.

I can create a bridge by choosing:
Select ISP Profile: None
Choose IPTV STB Port: LAN4

...but no tagged packets pass through to LAN4. This makes no sense.