What's new

BRT-AC828 on Internode - can't use USB LTE as failover?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bmscott

Occasional Visitor
Hello all - I'm running out of places to ask so I'm hoping someone here is able to help!

We're using a BRT-AC828 at our office and we're on HFC from Internode. It works fine, though with Internode's VLAN2 we have to use an Ethernet port rather than one of the LAN ports.

After puchasing a compatible USB LTE modem and testing it on a desktop PC, I tried to install it and configure it to failover in case the main connection goes down. But I get an error message - "WAN port should be selected in Dual WAN." (see attached)

I've Googled that but only found a couple of lone references in the Merlin source code pages (not that this is running Merlin of course). Does this mean I can't use a failover connection as long as we're on Internode?

Or... is there a workaround? Thanks -

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-12-05 at 6.24.43 PM.png
    Screenshot 2020-12-05 at 6.24.43 PM.png
    89.5 KB · Views: 165
OK, bumping this as I get the impression no one's run across my combination of circumstances...

I've purchased a small Netgear managed switch. I'm told I can use it to remove the VLAN tagging on incoming packets (and vice versa), just put it between the router and the NBN modem.

In theory I've graduated from a CCNA-level course but that was 8 years ago and I've forgotten most of it except the terminology... is there a good place to go to get up to speed on how I can do this? I don't want the office to be offline for any length of time and the router/modem/UPS gear is tucked up into the roof area so it's a pain to get to - I'd like to get it right the first time!

Is there no way you can use the WAN port with the required VLAN ID instead of a LAN port? On the consumer models this would be done in LAN > IPTV.

Is there no way you can use the WAN port with the required VLAN ID instead of a LAN port? On the consumer models this would be done in LAN > IPTV.
I followed a guide on how to set it up. On my DSL-AC68U at home, I had to reflash with Merlin and then use a UI hack to get it to select VLAN2. Since the BRT-AC828 has no DSL modem, it was slightly easier.

I'm looking for the guide I used originally; the link on the Internode site leads to a 404 error but I found one elsewhere. Apparently I didn't save the link! But it definitely said you had to use one of the LAN ports, as the VLAN tagging feature on the IPTV tab didn't relate to the WAN ports.

I probably should just go into the office on a weekend when I can take the network down and fiddle around some more. But I'll bring my little managed switch with me this time.

I was futzing around with the interface while writing this response and got a new (to me) error message (attached)....

Attachments

• router-IPTV.png
    router-IPTV.png
    83.7 KB · Views: 166
I have no personal experience with your kind of setup. But given what you've said and what's written here my best guess would be as follows:

Untitled.png
Untitled2.png

I don't know why you think you need to use LAN port 8 instead of the WAN port for your internet connection.

Plugged into the HFC modem without any VLAN2 adjustment, the router reports "Your ISPs DHCP does not function properly" - on the plus side, I'm able to write this reply 'cos it switches to the backup dongle just fine...

So back to the original plan B - try to set up the switch. Will get back to y'all!

FWIW I couldn't get the managed switch to work.

I saw on another forum that someone had an idea to configure a port as untagged and another port as VLAN2, to sort of filter the packets between the modem and the router. Seemed to make sense to me, so I bought a Netgear GS-305E 5-port managed switch but the UI is appalling, as is my memory of networking classes I took 8+ years ago, so I probably just don't have it set up properly yet.

I've PM'd the original poster who said he'd figured it out, but they don't log in very often apparently (it's a different forum).

Still no luck with the managed switch, but I have an even crazier scheme... one thing that bugs me is I'm still dependent on the router (not that I've ever had a router fail on me). But coming up with a multiple-router setup for a 4-5 user office is pretty ridiculous overkill (!) so I'm now thinking, hey we have a little MacMini server that's not currently being used for much except Remote Desktop so I can tinker with the router via GUI.

What if I plug the 4G dongle backup into THAT, and set up some kind of OSX Automation so that it stays deactivated until WiFi loses connection, but then switches to the dongle and sends me some kind of alert. I guess we'd either use DDNS or even just forward the result of WhatIsMyIP.com so I could still contact the office. And of course, in the process, switch to sharing its network connection with the rest of the office, as an emergency backup...

Just crazy enough to work, or should I keep looking for help with the switch?

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!