What's new

Buffer Bloat and AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

LOL, is that really a variation of Cake? I just read Cake is the latest.

No, just trying to be funny. :)

I haven't used Cake, let alone heard of it before. :oops:

In the Adaptive QoS, QoS tab, turn on 'Enable QoS' and then select Adaptive, Manual and fq_codel.

It's as easy as pie! Or Cake! lol...

In the Adaptive QoS, QoS tab, turn on 'Enable QoS' and then select Adaptive, Manual and fq_codel.

It's as easy as pie! Or Cake! lol...

Is that included with Asus firmware? I'm on the stock Asus firmware, 3.0.0.4.384_45149

Is that included with Asus firmware? I'm on the stock Asus firmware, 3.0.0.4.384_45149

Sorry, I don't know what the stock firmware looks like. I'm describing RMerlin's Asuswrt fork 384.10_2 version.

Sorry, I don't know what the stock firmware looks like. I'm describing RMerlin's Asuswrt fork 384.10_2 version.

Ah, ok. I thought maybe there was a way to install fq_codel while using the stock Asus firmware :(

Ah, ok. I thought maybe there was a way to install fq_codel while using the stock Asus firmware :(

Sorry for giving false hope. I saw the RT-AC86U in the thread title and mistakenly assumed we were in the Asuswrt-Merlin thread too.

I am absolutely 100% not referring to "low latency" as rtt, I am referring to the router bloat, or the time a packet is sitting in queue in my router.
There are more than a couple things that effect latency. Buffer bloat is one. You are probably right to focus on buffer bloat as it is something that you can likely fix.
Use a site like dslreports.com/speedtest
Good call. (And, again, IMO, this is a good indicator for a low speed Internet connection but it may not represent your reality on a high speed connection.)

(I "think" what these things do is saturate the pipes with "speed tests" and then measure how much a full network slows down "pings".)​

... used Automatic for the bandwidth setting
I would "think" that "automatic" figures out what your ISP speed is and goes with that? (Edit: turns out I wasn't even close. Auto sets speeds to 1,800 Mbps thereby automatically breaking everything : -) I think what you might want to do is run multiple speed tests and pick a number that best represents what you think your speed is; maybe the mean, median, mode or the lowest number. Then take about 80% of that and use "manual" to set your speeds to those numbers. The idea is to leave a little room in the pipe for like an emergency "hey gamer, send me more" packet.

As @L&LD says,
Change the Auto bandwidth to Manual and now make changes
experiment.

Which brings us back to what is your ISP speed? If you're 15 x 1 Mbps then you'll definitely want to try QoS and bandwidth limiters. If you're 1,000 x 1,000 Mbps I doubt you've anything to worry about.

Last edited:
I believe that "automatic" figures out what your ISP speed is and goes with that.

That's a good joke.

The automatic setting on Asus routers only sets manual upload and download limits to 1800mbps. It does NOT figure out your ISP speed. It does not leave QoS in a remotely functioning state.

I am 99.99% convinced its UI eye candy so the QoS page looks good customers at first glance. A majority of users aren't technical enough to notice it does not work properly.

--

I have a pretty detailed write up on how QoS actually works behind the scenes in my FreshJR_QoS thread.
(That thread can help you learn more about how traffic control system/structure works and provides a mod to fix poor default parameters)

Last edited:
That's a good joke.

The automatic setting on Asus routers only sets manual upload and download limits to 1800mbps. It does NOT figure out your ISP speed. It does not leave QoS in a remotely functioning state.

I am 99.99% convinced its UI eye candy so the QoS page looks good customers at first glance. A majority of users aren't technical enough to notice it does not work properly.

--

I have a pretty detailed write up on how QoS actually behind the scense in my FreshJR_QoS thread.
(That thread can help you learn more about how traffic control system/structure works and provides a mod to fix poor default parameters)

Thanks, Fresh! I was tempted to post in the thread but I didn't want to derail or get off topic about it, due to my interests revolving around gaming. It's a huge thread. I've read the OP several times and I'm still a little fuzzy about it. Any particular posts in the thread to check out, instead of reading the entire thing? lol :)

Is it based off of fq_codel, btw?

Just the first post if you want to read about how QOS works.

The second post if you want to install the script and get information about optimal settings.

Don’t read anything after third post as the first three have all relavent QOS information consolidated.

Just the first post if you want to read about how QOS works.

The second post if you want to install the script and get information about optimal settings.

Don’t read anything after third post as the first three have all relavent QOS information consolidated.

Thanks you,

Cheers

After some thought I think I'm going to give the Merlin firmware a try again and then give fq_codel a shot.

Thanks again.

EDIT: I just read the Networking section and it says the RT-AC86U (Arm based models only) How do I know if I have an Arm based 86U ?

Last edited:
After some thought I think I'm going to give the Merlin firmware a try again and then give fq_codel a shot.

Thanks again.

EDIT: I just read the Networking section and it says the RT-AC86U (Arm based models only) How do I know if I have an Arm based 86U ?

Easy; you do. :)

Easy; you do. :)

Thanks! I checked around his posts in the Merlin sub forum, and I remember there was a process to switching over to his custom firmware. IIRC it involved restoring default settings but before or after the install part I don't remember.

Thanks! I checked around his posts in the Merlin sub forum, and I remember there was a process to switching over to his custom firmware. IIRC it involved restoring default settings but before or after the install part I don't remember.

That's easy too. Just look at the M&M Config link in my signature. ;)

PS. it is always after flashing the firmware you want to use/test. :)

That's a good joke. The automatic setting on Asus routers only sets manual upload and download limits to 1800mbps.
Wow, there is no way I woulda guessed that <lol>

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!