What's new

Bug? Asus RT-AC86U running 386.2.6 - Total loss of 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi after some days

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

For me, only one 2.4G device would drop and happens to have an Espressif chipset. I first noticed it after purchasing an RT-AX3000 late last year and have tried every f/w since 384.19 up to the current 386.2.6 with the same results. The device it dislikes was a Lacrosse Pro weather station. I just upgraded to an Ambient Weather Station and it also uses an Espressif chipset which randomly drops too. After 9 months of hoping for an Asus fix (I know the wireless code is closed source so not blaming Merlin), I revived my rock-solid TP-Link AC1200. Never had an issue on either WX stations with the TP-Link. Guess I made a bad decision buying an Asus.

Or those weather stations.

When I worked for a set-top-box manufacturer, for a project with a PCIe wireless module (back in 2015) the client made us test-run the top 15 routers sold in the country. I thought it was bizarre to be honest, but it was the time of 5GHz AC networks. They had an obsession with Broadcom and that some routers would not run equally well (with constant streaming especially) with our STB. Well, I can tell you that exercise was an eye-opener. You can't imagine the incompatibilities faced sometimes between different WLAN chipset vendors, despite the best driver/code available from the manufacturer... So your issue @AlbumMan is not totally surprising to me, especially when you come to know the chipsets used. What is TP-Link using... did you ever consider that other chipset generations may support better or worse some devices/chipsets? Just wondering really. Cheers.

When I worked for a set-top-box manufacturer, for a project with a PCIe wireless module (back in 2015) the client made us test-run the top 15 routers sold in the country. I thought it was bizarre to be honest, but it was the time of 5GHz AC networks. They had an obsession with Broadcom and that some routers would not run equally well (with constant streaming especially) with our STB. Well, I can tell you that exercise was an eye-opener. You can't imagine the incompatibilities faced sometimes between different WLAN chipset vendors, despite the best driver/code available from the manufacturer... So your issue @AlbumMan is not totally surprising to me, especially when you come to know the chipsets used. What is TP-Link using... did you ever consider that other chipset generations may support better or worse some devices/chipsets? Just wondering really. Cheers.
If you think compatibility was bad then and now. What was going on in 2000 was incredibly frustrating. I do have to say that by 2010 most yet now all equipment that was WiFi Alliance certified worked well together. The WiFi Alliance was a game changer.

The Asus RT-AC86U is WiFi Alliance certified . Espressif has not certified products. Need I say more. For those of you that are curious about a device, you can look it up here:

Morris

I really didn't think about the different chipsets when buying the Asus but this TP-Link uses Qualcomm Atheros. It was the early version from 2014 of the 3-antenna, AC1200 v1.20 then they switched to Broadcom on the next model. All I know is that it never missed a lick with the Lacrosse WX station for 4 years and am now using an Ambient. The router was on a UPS and absolutely NEVER needed rebooting. I realize it no longer has f/w updates and can only hope that Asus fixes the compatibility issues with the Espressif chips. Thanks for the info!

The Asus RT-AC86U is WiFi Alliance certified

Brother MFC-J4320DW printer is Wi-Fi Alliance certified too and works properly with any other router, but Asus RT-AC86U. I've tried with 3 different AC86Us. It connects, but is so slow the scanner is unusable and printing a single color page takes a minute. No issues with MIPS AC66U or ARM AC66U_B1. No issues with $30 Linksys E5400 with MediaTek chipset.

When I updated to 386_2_6 my RT-AC88U started losing both wi-fi bands about once every 12-24 hours. Nothing remarkable in the log but the wi-fi would show channel 0 for both bands. Nothing I tried like disabling/enabling the radios through the gui or the front button worked. Rebooting the router would make it work again for 12-24 hours. It did this three or four times so I decided to downgrade back to 386_2_4. The router has been 100% solid since the downgrade. I had never experienced any wi-fi issues before upgrading to 386_2_6.

FYI: I have a fan on the router and the temps run 42C, 47C, and 52C. I am running two AC68U routers as AIMesh nodes. I am running NordVPN udp client and adaptive QOS. Pretty standard otherwise. I have both wi-fi channels set, not auto.

Anyway, that is my report. I will skip 386_2_6 and try the next release. In the meantime hopefully Asus/Merlin will examine the changes between the _4 and _6 versions and see if there is a possible problem.

Thank you for your valuable advice, it is greatly appreciated. I was under the impression that such expensive routers (see "Gaming"...) do get through enough stress and strain during design so that, when released to the market, can stay alive for 4-5 years; but this one proved otherwise (and instead of removing from sale, Asus seems to continue manufacture/sell it?)

In any case, the 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network re-appeared last night and this morning disappeared again. So the problem is there. I am packaging it for sending it back, and had a strong argument in order to be refunded.

I will thus look out for offers on RT-AC66U_B1 instead, which, as you wrote, is a variant of the rock-solid RT-AC68U that I hope has equal features besides the enclosure differences.
Try version 386_2_4 of Merlin's firmware and see if the wi-fi issue goes away. I had no issues until I upgraded to _6 version.

Or better yet, try the latest 386.3 Beta 1 instead (many changes, fixes, and upgrades to the underlying code).

386.3 contains no changes related to Wifi or AiMesh.

Doesn't need to. But if he has to do a full reset, may as well be for the latest beta then which is working great here. :)

Hello to all forum members, first of all my warm thanks to the team behind the AsusWrt Merlin releases all this time. Apologies if accidentally posted in wrong sub-group (I did check carefully).

I very recently purchased an Asus RT-AC86U router and almost immediately updated it to the latest AsusWrt Merlin 386.2.6 firmware; after factory resetting, I enabled it for my fibre-operator with minimal changes for my home use.

I disabled the Smart Wi-Fi Connect as it was not working with some home cameras and smart-plugs, and thus created a typical dual Wi-Fi network at 2.4GHz and 5GHz respectively with default settings (except SSID name and password, obviously).

However, I notice that some days after the last router reboot, the 2.4GHz network ceases to exist (!) and only 5GHz continues to be detectable; I noticed this as my smart-plugs starting blinking. When trying to find it with my iPad, it is no longer there.

It just happened again after 5 days and decided to register here, and post my problem. The router itself is thankfully accessible (including Asus own smartphone app) and before rebooting it to solve this, I wanted to post here and ask what kind of logs (and from where, and if sanitized) would make sense to provide and give an idea what is wrong...

The router does not seem to be under heavy traffic or use when this happens, and the number of devices is not so high to justify the 2.4GHz going down. Also, there is no Guest network enabled nor any AiMesh set up.

I worry that this will happen again when I won't have access to the router and thus no smart-plugs or home-cams working :(

Is there a way to totally reset the Wi-Fi settings to defaults, without resetting the whole router again?

N.B. Accesing the CLI and ran service restart_wireless did not seem to have solved the issue, clients can't seem to connect to this 2.4GHz wi-fi (saw it in this post).

On some other website there was a mention of running /sbin/restart_wireless but that did not yield results, earlier (not sure if it's even the proper way to do it, for this latest Wrt firmware).

P.S. In the Professional section I had only lowered a little the TX power to "Good" and nothing else; would this be the culprit? Set it back to "Performance" default but that didn't help either.

P.S. Decided to perform a factory reset again (via UI) ; just set the basic router settings (vendor class, admin user, Wi-Fi details) but having trouble again with 2.4GHz. It doesn't seem detectable from devices. For the love of mine, I can't figure out what is wrong. A hard-reset would help?

Thank you again.
Can't really help, but I get the same thing (2.4 just drops). I just reboot the router from the gui.

Your issue sounds like what happend to my first 88u my 5ghz band stoped showing up no matter what i did tried ddwrt,merlin and stock frirmware none could get it to work i contacted asus and they issueds me a rma and week or 2 they sent me a new router.

Well I tried updating my RT-AC88U to the latest 386.3_2 and within hours it lost both wi-fi bands again. It shows channel 0 on both. If you do a site search it says wi-fi radios are disabled but in the gui settings they are not. Reboot the router and it will run for a few more hours then do it again.

Something with the latest firmware is corrupting some setting with the wi-fi radios. This has to be some kind of memory leak that after some time finally overwrites and corrupts the wifi setup in this model. I have switched everything back to 386.1.2 again...

Hello! I have a similar problem - WiFi 2.4g is lost from time to time, while 5G works stably. 2.4G is visible in the list of networks, but when I try to connect some apple devices they say "The wrong password", some Android devices can connect with a very low speed of 0.5 Mbit/s. If I reboot the router by turning off the power, immediately turn it on and work randomly for several hours, then the speed drops again. Firmware version 386.3.
I will follow this threat, perhaps together we will be able to solve this problem. I bought a used router, so I don't know its history, but the seller said that everything is ok with him.

For what it is worth... I installed firmware 386.1.2 then did a factory reset on my RT-AC88U. I set it all up again from scratch without using a .cfg file. It has run for almost 7 days without losing the wi-fi bands or any other issues. I also put 386.1.2 on my two RT-AC68P AiMesh nodes and factory reset them.

That pretty much tells me there isn't a hardware problem with the router. Something with the newer firmware was not playing well with my configuration. I don't see a lot of reports otherwise so it may well be something unique to me. For the time being I am going to stick with 386.1.2 even though I did like the new VPN config on 386.3.

Hello to all forum members, first of all my warm thanks to the team behind the AsusWrt Merlin releases all this time. Apologies if accidentally posted in wrong sub-group (I did check carefully).

I very recently purchased an Asus RT-AC86U router and almost immediately updated it to the latest AsusWrt Merlin 386.2.6 firmware; after factory resetting, I enabled it for my fibre-operator with minimal changes for my home use.

I disabled the Smart Wi-Fi Connect as it was not working with some home cameras and smart-plugs, and thus created a typical dual Wi-Fi network at 2.4GHz and 5GHz respectively with default settings (except SSID name and password, obviously).

However, I notice that some days after the last router reboot, the 2.4GHz network ceases to exist (!) and only 5GHz continues to be detectable; I noticed this as my smart-plugs starting blinking. When trying to find it with my iPad, it is no longer there.

It just happened again after 5 days and decided to register here, and post my problem. The router itself is thankfully accessible (including Asus own smartphone app) and before rebooting it to solve this, I wanted to post here and ask what kind of logs (and from where, and if sanitized) would make sense to provide and give an idea what is wrong...

The router does not seem to be under heavy traffic or use when this happens, and the number of devices is not so high to justify the 2.4GHz going down. Also, there is no Guest network enabled nor any AiMesh set up.

I worry that this will happen again when I won't have access to the router and thus no smart-plugs or home-cams working :(

Is there a way to totally reset the Wi-Fi settings to defaults, without resetting the whole router again?

N.B. Accesing the CLI and ran service restart_wireless did not seem to have solved the issue, clients can't seem to connect to this 2.4GHz wi-fi (saw it in this post).

On some other website there was a mention of running /sbin/restart_wireless but that did not yield results, earlier (not sure if it's even the proper way to do it, for this latest Wrt firmware).

P.S. In the Professional section I had only lowered a little the TX power to "Good" and nothing else; would this be the culprit? Set it back to "Performance" default but that didn't help either.

P.S. Decided to perform a factory reset again (via UI) ; just set the basic router settings (vendor class, admin user, Wi-Fi details) but having trouble again with 2.4GHz. It doesn't seem detectable from devices. For the love of mine, I can't figure out what is wrong. A hard-reset would help?

Thank you again.

You have a lot of settings that are sub-optimal - in professional settings disable universal beamforming, set a fixed wifi channel 1,6,11 are best dont use auto- choose one with least intererence and use iinsider to determine that. Also set BW to 20MHz NOT 20/40. Set tx bursting to disable in professional as well. There are other settings to try however those four are a good start.

I am sorry for what you are going through. I can't speak for anyone else... but I purchased an openbox ac86u at microcenter about 2 years ago and had intermittent issues. I knew that some of these had a lot of issues, apparently related to HW. I think from research, models made in china had issues where 2.4Ghz would drop. These would prob need to be returned or if beyond the return period, seek Asus support for a warranty.

I had issues for like first 6 months where it would work -- but for me, 5Ghz network would drop after X days... randomly. A reboot would resolve it for a time -- but problem came back. Covid and telework/virtual-learning didn't help -- as EVERYONE in my family was mad at me every time it went down. I tried factory resetting it several times and even tried going back to asus firmware. Nothing helped and I was about to give up. But I carefully looked at the nuclear reset instructions (from L&LD) again and performed it -- being more patient and actually waiting the recommended times. Well, something shook loose and it has been rock solid. I have an Aimesh setup with my old ac68u being the node and no issues and it would run for months -- or at least until firmware upgrades. :) Family (and our dog) has been much happier since.

Hope you get it to work. ac86u has been a great router for us.

For what it is worth... I installed firmware 386.1.2 then did a factory reset on my RT-AC88U. I set it all up again from scratch without using a .cfg file. It has run for almost 7 days without losing the wi-fi bands or any other issues. I also put 386.1.2 on my two RT-AC68P AiMesh nodes and factory reset them.

That pretty much tells me there isn't a hardware problem with the router. Something with the newer firmware was not playing well with my configuration. I don't see a lot of reports otherwise so it may well be something unique to me. For the time being I am going to stick with 386.1.2 even though I did like the new VPN config on 386.3.
Sounds like a hardware issue. Exchange for a good router. The settings above are not related to your issue.

Good luck,

Morris

Just for the record, ac86u wifi 2.4GHz lost signal out of blue.
This problem has been existed for a few years and is still happening on latest firmware 386.7.

When this bug got triggered, you would be disconnected for a moment on both 5GHz and 2.4GHz. Of course 2.4GHz has never been able to restore itself back. You have to run this to get 2.4GHz back.
Bash:
service restart_wireless

I have confirmed, ac86u was not rebooting itself, because I have tmux sessions running on SSH, I can reattach to those sessions after wifi 2.4GHz getting lost, and my both rpi4bs running on NFS is still functioning.

I have isolated the log when this bug happened.

This was when I realized my wifi dropped out and tried to connect to router through ssh to check out what was going on.
Jul 26 00:43:51 dropbear[5858]: Exit (router) from <192.168.9.58:60337>: Error reading: Connection timed out

This was me trying to reset wifi by service restart_wireless
Jul 26 01:21:50 rc_service: service 32101:notify_rc restart_wireless

Markdown (GitHub flavored):
```
Jul 26 00:25:04 rc_service: amas_lanctrl 1495:notify_rc start_cfgsync
Jul 26 00:25:05 BHC: Topology change from 1 to -1.
Jul 26 00:25:06 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(491): wl1.1: Deauth_ind F0:xx:xx:xx:C6:3B, status: 0, reason: Deauthenticated because sending station is leaving (or has left) IBSS or ESS (3), rssi:0
Jul 26 00:25:06 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(491): wl1.1: Deauth_ind 00:xx:xx:xx:00:00, status: 0, reason: Deauthenticated because sending station is leaving (or has left) IBSS or ESS (3), rssi:0
Jul 26 00:25:08 kernel: device eth0 left promiscuous mode
Jul 26 00:25:08 kernel: br0: port 7(eth0) entered disabled state
Jul 26 00:25:09 kernel: device dpsta entered promiscuous mode
Jul 26 00:25:09 kernel: br0: port 7(dpsta) entered forwarding state
Jul 26 00:25:09 kernel: br0: port 7(dpsta) entered forwarding state
Jul 26 00:25:09 BHC: IN_BR eth0,R0
Jul 26 00:25:09 BHC: Topology change from -1 to 1.
Jul 26 00:25:10 lldpd[1114]: MSAP has changed for port dpsta, sending a shutdown LLDPDU
Jul 26 00:25:11 kernel: device dpsta left promiscuous mode
Jul 26 00:25:11 kernel: br0: port 7(dpsta) entered disabled state
Jul 26 00:25:11 kernel: device eth0 entered promiscuous mode
Jul 26 00:25:11 kernel: br0: port 7(eth0) entered forwarding state
Jul 26 00:25:11 kernel: br0: port 7(eth0) entered forwarding state
Jul 26 00:25:11 lldpd[1114]: MSAP has changed for port dpsta, sending a shutdown LLDPDU
Jul 26 00:25:11 BHC: IN_BR eth6,R0 eth5,R0
Jul 26 00:25:11 BHC: IN_BR eth0,R2
Jul 26 00:25:16 rc_service: amas_lanctrl 1495:notify_rc restart_acsd
Jul 26 00:25:16 rc_service: watchdog 1486:notify_rc start_cfgsync
Jul 26 00:25:16 rc_service: waitting "restart_acsd" via amas_lanctrl ...
Jul 26 00:25:17 acsd: selected channel spec: 0x1001 (1)
Jul 26 00:25:17 acsd: Adjusted channel spec: 0x1001 (1)
Jul 26 00:25:17 acsd: selected channel spec: 0x1001 (1)
Jul 26 00:25:17 acsd: acs_set_chspec: 0x1001 (1) for reason APCS_INIT
Jul 26 00:25:22 acsd: selected channel spec: 0xe27a (124/80)
Jul 26 00:25:22 acsd: Adjusted channel spec: 0xe27a (124/80)
Jul 26 00:25:22 acsd: selected channel spec: 0xe27a (124/80)
Jul 26 00:25:22 acsd: acs_set_chspec: 0xe27a (124/80) for reason APCS_INIT
Jul 26 00:25:52 rc_service: watchdog 1486:notify_rc start_cfgsync
Jul 26 00:40:10 BHC: Disconnected from CAP.
Jul 26 00:40:19 acsd: selected channel spec: 0x1004 (4)
Jul 26 00:40:19 acsd: Adjusted channel spec: 0x1004 (4)
Jul 26 00:40:19 acsd: selected channel spec: 0x1004 (4)
Jul 26 00:40:19 acsd: acs_set_chspec: 0x1004 (4) for reason APCS_CSTIMER
Jul 26 00:40:22 rc_service: watchdog 1486:notify_rc start_cfgsync
Jul 26 00:40:52 rc_service: watchdog 1486:notify_rc start_cfgsync
Jul 26 00:41:22 rc_service: watchdog 1486:notify_rc start_cfgsync
Jul 26 00:41:52 rc_service: watchdog 1486:notify_rc start_cfgsync
Jul 26 00:42:22 rc_service: watchdog 1486:notify_rc start_cfgsync
Jul 26 00:42:52 rc_service: watchdog 1486:notify_rc start_cfgsync
Jul 26 00:43:22 rc_service: watchdog 1486:notify_rc start_cfgsync
Jul 26 00:43:51 dropbear[5858]: Exit (router) from <192.168.9.58:60337>: Error reading: Connection timed out
Jul 26 00:43:52 rc_service: watchdog 1486:notify_rc start_cfgsync
Jul 26 00:44:22 rc_service: watchdog 1486:notify_rc start_cfgsync
Jul 26 00:44:52 rc_service: watchdog 1486:notify_rc start_cfgsync
Jul 26 00:45:10 BHC: Disconnected from CAP.
Jul 26 00:45:22 rc_service: watchdog 1486:notify_rc start_cfgsync
Jul 26 01:19:35 dropbear[31893]: Child connection from 192.168.9.58:59111
Jul 26 01:19:35 dropbear[31893]: Pubkey auth succeeded for 'router' with ssh-rsa key SHA256:w2aKDckiApA3R+q7Qx0TSIGpTgX5xzxacsYQoCpjnak from 192.168.9.58:59111
Jul 26 01:19:52 rc_service: watchdog 1486:notify_rc start_cfgsync
Jul 26 01:20:22 rc_service: watchdog 1486:notify_rc start_cfgsync
Jul 26 01:20:52 rc_service: watchdog 1486:notify_rc start_cfgsync
Jul 26 01:21:22 rc_service: watchdog 1486:notify_rc start_cfgsync
Jul 26 01:21:50 rc_service: service 32101:notify_rc restart_wireless
Jul 26 01:21:52 kernel: device wl0.1 left promiscuous mode
Jul 26 01:21:52 kernel: br0: port 5(wl0.1) entered disabled state
Jul 26 01:21:52 kernel: device wl1.1 left promiscuous mode
Jul 26 01:21:52 kernel: br0: port 6(wl1.1) entered disabled state
Jul 26 01:21:53 kernel: device wl0.1 entered promiscuous mode
Jul 26 01:21:53 kernel: br0: port 5(wl0.1) entered forwarding state
Jul 26 01:21:53 kernel: br0: port 5(wl0.1) entered forwarding state
Jul 26 01:21:53 kernel: device wl1.1 entered promiscuous mode
Jul 26 01:21:53 kernel: br0: port 6(wl1.1) entered forwarding state
Jul 26 01:21:53 kernel: br0: port 6(wl1.1) entered forwarding state
Jul 26 01:21:53 kernel: dpsta enabled, uif_bmap 0x3
Jul 26 01:21:53 rc_service: watchdog 1486:notify_rc start_cfgsync
Jul 26 01:21:53 rc_service: waitting "restart_wireless" via  ...
Jul 26 01:21:53 wlceventd: main(961): wlceventd Start...
Jul 26 01:21:55 kernel: br0: received packet on eth0 with own address as source address
Jul 26 01:21:56 kernel: bcm_mcast_mld_add:833 mc_fdb->rep_list fffxx:xx:xx:cde8 next fffxx:xx:xx:d4a0 prev fffxx:xx:xx:d4a0 rep_entry->list fffxx:xx:xx:d4a0 next fffxx:xx:xx:cde8 prev fffxx:xx:xx:cde8
Jul 26 01:21:57 BHC: WiFi connection status change.
Jul 26 01:21:57 BHC: bandindex(0): state is 0
Jul 26 01:21:57 BHC: bandindex(1): state is 2
Jul 26 01:21:57 BHC: Topology change from -1 to 1.
Jul 26 01:21:57 kernel: device eth0 left promiscuous mode
Jul 26 01:21:57 kernel: br0: port 7(eth0) entered disabled state
Jul 26 01:21:57 BHC: IN_BR eth0,R0 eth6,R0 eth5,R0
Jul 26 01:21:58 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(527): wl1.1: Auth 00:xx:xx:xx:73:4E, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Jul 26 01:21:58 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(556): wl1.1: Assoc 00:xx:xx:xx:73:4E, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Jul 26 01:21:58 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(527): wl1.1: Auth F0:xx:xx:xx:C6:3B, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Jul 26 01:21:58 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(537): wl1.1: ReAssoc F0:xx:xx:xx:C6:3B, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Jul 26 01:21:58 kernel: br0: received packet on wl1.1 with own address as source address
Jul 26 01:21:59 kernel: device eth0 entered promiscuous mode
Jul 26 01:21:59 kernel: br0: port 7(eth0) entered forwarding state
Jul 26 01:21:59 kernel: br0: port 7(eth0) entered forwarding state
Jul 26 01:21:59 BHC: IN_BR 
Jul 26 01:21:59 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(527): wl0.1: Auth 8C:xx:xx:xx:CB:32, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Jul 26 01:21:59 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(556): wl0.1: Assoc 8C:xx:xx:xx:CB:32, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Jul 26 01:22:00 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(527): wl0.1: Auth EC:xx:xx:xx:B1:D2, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Jul 26 01:22:00 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(556): wl0.1: Assoc EC:xx:xx:xx:B1:D2, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Jul 26 01:22:01 BHC: WiFi connection status change.
Jul 26 01:22:01 BHC: bandindex(0): state is 0
Jul 26 01:22:01 BHC: bandindex(1): state is 0
Jul 26 01:22:01 BHC: IN_BR eth0,R2
```

Attachments

• syslog.txt
    22.2 KB · Views: 39
Last edited: