What's new

Building a decent PC for VPN - Is this any good ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi guys,

So I'm finally getting parts for my PFSense box but I hav encounter a bump on the way which I can't figure out what to do about it. So my motherboard has the following PCI Slots:

1 x PCIe 2.0 x16
2 x PCIe 2.0 x1
1 x PCI

I need 2 x PCIe 2.0 x1 for Wi-Fi NIC Cards as one will be for my home devices and second one will be used for Guest Wi-Fi which actually I need to do more research on how to set it up so that Guest Wi-Fi AP won't have access to my devices in my own network. Then I also need 2 Port Ethernet NIC which I was able to find but I can't find anything for 1 x PCI or 1 x PCIe 2.0 x16.

Any advice will be well appreciated.

I have two NICs on my pfSense. One for WAN and one for LAN. The LAN goes to a switch and all the clients attach to it, including the AP.

I have two NICs on my pfSense. One for WAN and one for LAN. The LAN goes to a switch and all the clients attach to it, including the AP.

Wouldn't using integrated Ethernet port on Mobo for WAN and then attaching just one NIC for LAN be much easier and efficient ?

Wouldn't using integrated Ethernet port on Mobo for WAN and then attaching just one NIC for LAN be much easier and efficient ?
Sorry, not sure I understand.

When you install pfSense, you have to define one WAN and one LAN port during the setup. The PC I repurposed already had one NIC. So I had to buy and install another. I already had the switch.