What's new

Buying Advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

g4captain

New Around Here
I'm looking to upgrade my wifi by buying a new router. Currently, I'm using the Actiontec MI424WR, the Rev. I, I think it is. that I got from Verizon. I am going to have to keep it connected so that I can keep the video guide and video on demand services working so that my wife remains happy.

My kids play a lot of Xbox One, and games on their Ipads. I've noticed my wifi does slow down when they are gaming, and I'd like to improve that.

Looking on here, I've been doing a lot of reading of reviews and ranking charts. I've been reading a lot about the Netgear X4S, and it seems to be pretty good. I've also been reading about the Netgear XR500 that was just announced, and it's been getting some good reviews too.

Anyone have any advice on one or the other, or something else?

Thanks a lot.

wireless AC with 2x2 radios
put kids on separate SSID on separate wireless band if coverage allows. Use wired connections for as much as possible (x box ?)
If you have MOCA running for TVs consider adding to that network by using an ActionTec MOCA extender with wired/wireless version of extender. There are plenty of threads in the MOCA subforum here.
put yours on a different radio (5Ghz if coverage supports)

I'm looking to upgrade my wifi by buying a new router. Currently, I'm using the Actiontec MI424WR, the Rev. I, I think it is. that I got from Verizon. I am going to have to keep it connected so that I can keep the video guide and video on demand services working so that my wife remains happy.

My kids play a lot of Xbox One, and games on their Ipads. I've noticed my wifi does slow down when they are gaming, and I'd like to improve that.

Looking on here, I've been doing a lot of reading of reviews and ranking charts. I've been reading a lot about the Netgear X4S, and it seems to be pretty good. I've also been reading about the Netgear XR500 that was just announced, and it's been getting some good reviews too.

Anyone have any advice on one or the other, or something else?

Thanks a lot.
The X4S R7800 is an excellent router with great range and stability. If you are going to rely on using an attached NAS Netgear's ReadyCloud service is a bit flaky. If you want to stay in the $200 range, there is also the excellent Synology RT2600ac, very similar in hardware to the X4S but does a great job with NAS. There's also the Asus RT-AC86U (NOT the 88U/AC3100). If you're looking at the XR500 you're shooting towards $300 and frankly I have yet to see or hear about a router worth that money.

Forget this other advice about a MoCA bridge. The easiest thing for you to do (I have FiOS too), is to keep the Actiontec as is but disable it's wifi, then connect it to your router LAN-LAN and run your router in AP or bridge mode. The Actiontec will assign all the IP's but your own router will supply the wifi. You'll keep all your FiOS TV features. And if a segregated guest network is important to you get the Synology RT2600ac, because it is the only router I have found that will put the guest network on a different subnet even though it is running in AP mode. (Every other router I tried, if it had a guest network in AP mode the IP's were on the main network which was accessible to all devices.)

There are multiple ways to skin the cat in this instance. So it depends with what the system really needs. Either can work.

Thank you for the suggestions. I would like to keep the price below $300.

I think I may give the ASUS router a shot. From reading on the Netgear forums, the X4S seems to be having a lot of firmware issues.

If you're going to go with Asus I suggest, as I mentioned above, that you go with the $200 RT-AC86U. It's is actually newer and more powerful than the $269 RT-AC88U, and a better performer than the $200 Asus AC 3200 tri-band.