What's new

buying advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I wish they were promising at least security updates... Fw upgrades was what made me abandon my old AC56U that was suddenly out of support, while other sibling models had really longer life....
Maybe an S version would have shorter upgrades... Though they are currently the same FW as the U model.

I like to think that the economical trick, if there is any, is to go with the 'mainstream' model that will serve well over time, sell many, and enjoy the longest firmware support (security updates). The AX86U may be that and the AX86S using the same firmware package may go along for the ride. And you pay a bit more for that than you would for the lesser models (or maybe you don't if it allows you to plan your purchasing to suit the/your evolution of technology and not have to rush out and buy sideways to get your network back up).

The N66U, AC68U, AC86U, and now AX86U have hit this mark for me... except the AC86U has disappointed by burning out prematurely... it happens.

OE

Last edited:
The AX86U may be that and the AX86S using the same firmware package may go along for the ride.

No one knows how long this ride is going to be. The new AX86U Pro version is different CPU/radios router, but the same as in many other new Asus products. If Asus' goal is software development consolidation for one hardware platform, current AX86U/S may have shorter ride.

No one knows

Yes, no one knows... but everyone must place their bet and the savvy consumer likes to have a trick up their sleeve.

Given ASUS' penchant for model-palooza and that the AX86U serves plenty well enough at this time on the arc of technology, Pro and S feel more like 'marketing' and less like 'mainstream' to me... but that is splitting hairs for dollars.

OE

Last edited:
Fw upgrades was what made me abandon my old AC56U that was suddenly out of support, while other sibling models had really longer life....
Which sibblings? The only router close to the RT-AC56U age that still gets supported is the RT-AC68U (which launched a few months after the RT-AC56U), and that's because it outsold the RT-AC56U by something like 50:1, if not more. I don't know any other model from that era that still gets support.

The RT-AC56U is 9 years old by now BTW.

Builds their own and doesn't rely on profit margin companies.

That's a hobbiest technologist, not just a consumer, and it's arguable how savvy building your own router is when you can simply buy a box and plug it in and be done with it. But I get it already... you like to impress others with your DIY skills. Relatively very few people care to build their own and they most likely spend more time and money doing so in the long run so not very savvy consumers by comparison... just people with a passion for their hobby.

OE

you like to impress others with your DIY skills

Indeed. And usually completely unrelated to the question and requirements. :rolleyes:

I also would like to know what better DIY setup with router, switch, access point and user friendly UI fit in 100-200 euro or dollars price range. I also want it with automatic firmware updates, under 15W total power consumption, similar to AIO router size/footprint and no extra Ethernet cables, please.

An rpi with a WiFi card and a small switch would hit your BS requirements.

The point is if you want it to work and do what you want it to do you need to do it yourself. Fw upgrades aren't relevant when you're running a full blown os.

On the flip side if you have a huge budget like a business then you pay for what you need.

Which sibblings? The only router close to the RT-AC56U age that still gets supported is the RT-AC68U (which launched a few months after the RT-AC56U), and that's because it outsold the RT-AC56U by something like 50:1, if not more. I don't know any other model from that era that still gets support.

The RT-AC56U is 9 years old by now BTW.

Yea exactly with siblings I was meaning the ones that were available in the same period, like the one you mentioned.
9 years, yes I was referring to long ago, then I changed few routers. I remember that I loved your firmware, but everybody was talking about the Fritzbox and how it was good so I decided to give it a try, but I wasn't much satisfied due to the lack of feature that your firmware is instead offering. So, back to Asus again, hoping to be lucky!

I did already. Based on @yelo3 budget, knowledge and requirements - AIO router RT-AX86S. This is an exact model with known price, availability and capabilities.

And if they want, they can configure it like this and be done in 30 minutes. :)

OE

AIO home router can provide wireless Internet 5min after unboxing. Even your 30min configuration can wait. :)

T9

I did already. Based on @yelo3 budget, knowledge and requirements - AIO router RT-AX86S. This is an exact model with known price, availability and capabilities.
You know that's not what I meant. I meant figure out how to build a pi based router with wifi.

Yea exactly with siblings I was meaning the ones that were available in the same period, like the one you mentioned.
That`s the only one, and I explained why it had such an unusual support life. Every other model from that area has long been discontinued. The RT-AC56U isn`t an exception here, the RT-AC68U is the exception.

I meant figure out how to build a pi based router with wifi.

No one needs RPi router here, @Tech Junky. I know very well what is needed and at current RPi4 prices the project will jump over 200 euro when done properly with dual NIC board/case. It's very far from being user friendly and it's mostly pointless with the limitations it comes with (like non-working unlicensed AES on the CPU and USB-to-Ethernet conversions). If speaking about DYI, I would rather use PCEngines hardware with designed for the board case and pfSense software - for the same price, but better. Sometimes I wonder if you really have DIY experience or you just read some things around and throw geeky ideas to impress someone. This is not needed and is not helping anyone.

PC + Linux + quad 5ge nic + AP = diy

It's just matter of configuring some options and you're done. Sub out the the stuff you want for the price you want or pay more for performance. I've shown you captures from the system before and you're just being a gnat about things now for the sake of being a shill for Asus which isn't your normal omada spiel.

@Tech Junky, there is a list of hardware in post one. The OP is asking which AIO router from this list is better. I don't see PC + Linux there. Just stop spamming every thread with your DIY adventures. I offer suitable solution based on the budget, user knowledge, expectations and use specifics. It may range from $0 (no upgrade needed) to >$5000 multi-Gigabit multi-port managed PoE+ switch only, firewall and APs extra. It's time for you to understand there is no single best solution for every user and use case. If you have noticed already (have you?) very few people are interested in DIY on this forum.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!