What's new

Cable & 2nd router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Welty

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

Just moved in & now have fiber optic coming into home at 1.5gbps from router url speed test. Still waiting for moving truck, I'm using two laptops & wifi.
One gets 400mbps down, the other, next to 400mbps gets 100 or less mbps. Steep hit in speed reduction for wifi, & now planning stringing ethernet cable.

From modem/router ethernet port > run cat 7 ethernet, to 2nd router upstairs. That gives 4 ethernet ports up stairs, for PC, TV. At modem/routers last free ethernet, would be used in basement.

Modem router 2 free ethernet ports, 2nd router 4 free ports = 1 free port modem/router & 4 ports upstairs 2nd router.

Desired 4 or 5 device connections

Thinking about 'Lan to Lan'

no changes to dhcp, 2nd router ip same as modem router, channels divided btwn up & down stairs routers.

Most likely usage would one or two devices used at same time.

1. Is this realistic plan? Better plan??
2.. Will stringing ethernet cable cause slowdowns like wifi???????

Thanks

Hi,

Just moved in & now have fiber optic coming into home at 1.5gbps from router url speed test. Still waiting for moving truck, I'm using two laptops & wifi.
One gets 400mbps down, the other, next to 400mbps gets 100 or less mbps. Steep hit in speed reduction for wifi, & now planning stringing ethernet cable.

From modem/router ethernet port > run cat 7 ethernet, to 2nd router upstairs. That gives 4 ethernet ports up stairs, for PC, TV. At modem/routers last free ethernet, would be used in basement.

Modem router 2 free ethernet ports, 2nd router 4 free ports = 1 free port modem/router & 4 ports upstairs 2nd router.

Desired 4 or 5 device connections

Thinking about 'Lan to Lan'

no changes to dhcp, 2nd router ip same as modem router, channels divided btwn up & down stairs routers.

Most likely usage would one or two devices used at same time.

1. Is this realistic plan? Better plan??
2.. Will stringing ethernet cable cause slowdowns like wifi???????

Thanks

Several things to think about.

How capable are your PCs. Just because a device has a gig port doesn't mean it can upload and download at that speed. Also even if it is capable of 1 gig unless you change your the Ethernet cards you will be limited to 1 gig.

No need for multiple routers to give you additional Ethernet ports. What you need are switches which if you can content yourself at switching at 1 gig they are relatively simple and inexpensive. If you need faster switches then they are more expensive.

You probably don't need Cat 7 cabling in a normal sized residence. Cat 6 can more than handle 1.5 gigs. If your future proofing yourself for connections faster than 10 Gbps then consider fiber.

Wired Ethernet connections are the gold standard. You won't experience slowdowns unless you saturate the links between switches and it is hard to imagine a normal use case in a residential LAN. Running several backups won't come close nor will multiple uncompressed video streams from a server to a TV/monitor.

So one ehternet handles the 4 - 5 ethernet cables & the switch speed is cost dependent.

I still would like to run 2nd router, Netgear $400+ router. Were now using 'pods' from CanadaBell, to extend wifi upstairs. Pods or extenders are $10.00 mo, I would return as Netgear would handle

I thought the upstairs NetGear would handle upstairs wifi & plug a ethernet cable from Netgear router to TV.

Given that I have 1.5 fiber down & won't look to upgrade, can you post a link for appropriate switch, from Amazon.

Thanks Captain!!!!

That upgrade would be in addition to the 'killer' card. If you used a 2.5GbE switch and wired your computer.

I would remove all 'killer' software from the adaptor you have (use the much more stable and reliable Intel drivers instead, which is what the adaptor is based on). Search these forums on how to do that.

Then 2.5gb replaces killer ec2400, then have 2.5gb switch, 2.5gb card sends to 2.5 switch!

I believe killer is special removal process, use there uninstaller.

The way i read you post, is killer + 2.5 card sends to 2.5 switch. That would require 2 pcie slots?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!